Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Scandinavians

Options
  • 13-06-2005 11:23am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody ever put there finger on why Poker is so big in Scandinavia...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

why not?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I poker is big all around the world but its HUGE in Scandinavia,and they dont seem to be big gamblers were its in the Irish/British cultures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Its too cold outside. Nothing better to do but stay in and play cards all day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

With some of the Hot Chicks they have up there I could think of one or two things to do...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Vamos

I'm just back from 7 months in Denmark and I definitely think the winter weather has a lot to do with it, especially in the more northern parts.
    They also are a fairly cool bunch of customers and judging from the lads I worked with, while dead sound, are a ruthless shower of fncks when needs be, which lends itself to poker.
    Poker advertising there is fairly relentless on the tv also, with many non poker programs being sponsored by ladbrokes, bet365 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Isn't ladbrokes supposed to have a higher proportion of Scandies on it compared to other sites, like VC/PPP or Party?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Ladbrokes and GamingClub are crawling with them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

On the ladbrokes poker cruise I would say the scandies outnumbered the Brits, with only a handful of Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

also they have some of the highest broadband connectivity in the world - easier access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

B365 is jam packed with them.

I can't stand playing on tables full of them, to say they like to bluff would be putting it very mildly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

in finland and i think sweden they love playing poker on like arcade machines. they're all over the place, in supermarkets and pubs and stuff. like you stick 20c in and u get five cards, and you decide to keep or throw away those cards then you get dealt more. well you know how to play. highly addictive. i also think they're some kind of charity/government venture so their profits go to something constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

in finland and i think sweden they love playing poker on like arcade machines. they're all over the place, in supermarkets and pubs and stuff. like you stick 20c in and u get five cards, and you decide to keep or throw away those cards then you get dealt more. well you know how to play. highly addictive. i also think they're some kind of charity/government venture so their profits go to something constructive.

Wow... thats the most corrupt stealth tax I've ever heard of! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

they love gambling full stop. I was in Stockholm last November and every pub/club has roulette and blackjack tables as well as 3-4 of those machines. Always full of people playing

Advertisement