Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks Oscar, great tournie!

Options
  • 12-06-2005 10:39pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I went down to play the 30-freezeout and to have a drink beforehand not expecting much but wanting to play and support a good idea. Turns out 50 other people thought it was a good idea too and I found myself in the middle of a fairly good field.

From the first hand I felt comfortable and during the second level I limped in with 45 of spades (nice deep stacks and good level increases saw me playing more speculative hands looking for mutant flops if I could get in cheap). Flop comes down 367 of spades. Bingo! First to act goes all-in and gets two callers. Eamon (who's second name escapes me right now), says "wouldnt it be lovely to be sitting on 45spades now!" and I'm thinking to myself, "it would be fnckin' amazing Eamo!". That set me up for the tournie and I chip chip chip up to 30K for final table. I've decided I'm going to play to win, no deals, no careful backing down, win-or-bust.

Final table gets very active early on but when it gets to 5-way none of us are bothered by the blinds and everyone settles down for a long session. Mick The Dealer goes out 5th and again we settle down and some excellent poker is played, lots of fencing and a few big clashes but noone goes out. This goes on and on and while I'd be happy to play away, I'm also feeling drained as we've been playing for 6 hours nearly. So we split it 4 ways as we were all about even stacked with noone more then half a double-through ahead. So much for my "Win-or-Bust" policy, as Ollie pointed out to me!

The atmosphere was great, tons of slaggin', plenty of play and a decent enough payout. It felt more like a connoisseur's afternoon of friendly poker as the play was of a high quality imho and the blinds were structured like the 100-in which felt like Oscar was spoiling us :)

Being the cheapest tournie in there (and I include the Freeroll in that!) its has to be the best value for money considering the play. Its definitely NOT good value if you are purely looking at the money since the prizepool will never be big enough to pay loads and there wasnt much dead money but for 30 quid if I got that much entertainment for 6 hours every sunday, I'd be more then happy!

Fair play Oscie, just what the doctor ordered! Of course, getting a nice split didnt hurt but it has capped a week thats seen me win back everything I lost last month so I'm in a good mood heading to Vegas!

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I agree with Dev, I headed in to this also but did not catch any cards. Still nice atmosphere and good play. Really enjoyed filling a boat against jaden with the hammer when I was all in. :D Was Careca one of the lads who split the pot? He had a juicy stack when I left.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah he split it as one of the four. His stack dwindled and rekindled during the marathon last table so we were all reasonably even. He played well even though I bluffed him off one hand.
    (Neil, that hand where you said "I'd bet my bottom dollar he has JT"), I had an up and down straight draw and was bluffing the turn (I'm also pretty sure you stole more from me then I did from you, you targetted my BB a few times!).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

well done oscar. What a turnout. Should be a popular tournament from here on in. Definitely good value with the structure the way it is. Went out 6th with 70 euro. Good atmosphere, and the standard of play was in some way sane. Except for that one guy who kept chasing his draws and hitting them (against me at least!)! Even when i overbet on the flop he called on a gutshot draw. And inevitably he hit it on the river after i overbet the turn as well. unbelievable! Put me down to just about 1k and we were about fifteen minutes in. All worked out relatively well in the end though.
    Look forward to it next week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yea well done Oscar,I have not had the time to play this yet but I will be free next week.Looking forward to it.50 runners this week...it was only getting 10/15 for the last couple of weeks looks like word has gotten out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

yeah great tournament very nice structure couldn't believe it when I walked in to see 5 full tables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Yes thanks for organising the tournament Oscar, really enjoyed it. I barnacled my way onto the final table on my live debut. Oscars play must have been disrupted with all those guys arriving way late with heads on some of them like they were dissapointed we started without them.
    AQ was the best hand i got all day but i did treble up with that. Good banter at the tables and a plenty of characters!. There was always someone more than happy to deal for the table which suited me fine. The lady dealer was a class dealer and the guy that dealt my table down to two tables and the start of the final table was class too. Free tea/coffee and cold soft drinks there too which was nice. At least i thought they were free anyway as i helped myself!.
    I met some of the boards fellas beforehand DeVore,Oscar,ionapaul,Careca,biteme and they were all nice guys. For anyone going for the first time i would recommend meeting them in the pub beforehand and heading in with them. They dont bite(only at the table especially DeVore!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Spiffy tourney Oscar. Well run, with a low Player to Muppet ratio. Probably the best MTT I've played.

The standard of play is quite good - I saw some very good laydowns, and some excellent post flop play. I learned alot just watching some of these guys.

Waylander is a muppet. 99 Vs his 72os. Calls my pre-flop raise (he's all in). Hits a pair of 2s on the flop. The turn and river are the inevitable 7,7. Bad beat but a good laugh.

Out in 14th/15th when on BB with 83os, I stayed in an unraised pot, with one limper and the SB. Flop comes 8 5 4 rainbow. Checked, and the turn comes 3. The SB bets 40% of my stack, and I push. He had 62 to complete the straight. Hard to put a guy on that hand.

Just as a tip, don't let vagrants into this tourney, there was some guy at my table, scruffy, unkempt type, who was wearing a 9 year old t-shirt, and smelled like old newspaper. Apparently, he doesn't even have a proper job. Keep the riff-raff out next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Jaden wrote:
    Waylander is a muppet. 99 Vs his 72os. Calls my pre-flop raise (he's all in). Hits a pair of 2s on the flop. The turn and river are the inevitable 7,7. Bad beat but a good laugh.

Haha. you do not quite tell the full story jaden. I was big blind with 300 in and only had 675. Almost 50% of my stack was in with small blind up next. Still, beware the hammer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Aye, kudos young Fred, an excellent tourney. I've never seen so many pokers in such a short space of time, three in around 30 minutes when we were down to two tables, the third which saw my exit. Obviously this tourney is rigged!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

Great tourney yesterday, everyone seemed to be in great form as there was good banter all round. Only my 5th time in the Fitz, playing live for that matter, and yesterday was certainly my best experience. Great structure and decent play at the three different tables I playted at. Ended up going out in 7th but enjoyed every minute of the tournament. Well done Oscar.

All the best
    Shay

• Advertisement

It's one thing to push with 7,2os, it's entirely another to call with it..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Adding my voice to those who enjoyed yesterday, great turnout and a fun athmosphere (for those who care about the social aspect of the game!). Didn't see many flops myself, lost a bit with the ladies early on against Eamon and never got my groove on afterwards. Went out after the break when I pushed with 77 and was called by both Eamon with KQ and rounders123 with A10 (he was all in as well, barely had me covered) - UGH, with all those overcards knew I was up against it, an A on the flop and rounders123 took it home!

*edit - just checked the above hand on twodimes and all three of us were 33% or so preflop. Never seen the percentages so nice and even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

DeVore wrote:
    So we split it 4 ways as we were all about even stacked with noone more then half a double-through ahead

DeV.

can't believe u settled for a FOUR way split after all those hours when u were looking so strong

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

great tournie...

had a slow start until one monster hand, im on the blind with KJ with blinds at 100 -call... flop is K J K.. nice double up

then a stupid fold, im on the big blind with 10 J diamonds,
    i check it and see a flop 10 7 4, with two diamonds, dev
    raises it 400, i rase to 800, he calls, next card is an 8, he checks i raise
    to 800 he calls, next card is a 3, and he bets out 800, i stupidly think my jack
    kicker isnt good enough and i fold, showing him my hand, he turns over 10 9! doh.

get moved to a tight table so raise loads and steal loads of blinds, then i
    make a few nice calls, my pocket 2s hold up against AQ and other over cards
    one of the players is all in and me and ken are checking it all the way but they hold up

then i get 10 6 on the small blind, which i complete and bb doesn't raise.
    the flop comes 6A6, i check.. of course! a player raises and im all in... he
    folds. and now im sitting pretty with about 15,000 in chips.

then after the break, im dealt AK so i limp because there is a short stack
    after me who i reckon is about to go all in... when it gets to him he folds and another
    player goes all in for about 5,000... i know he has a pocket pair, and why would i want to call him on a 50-50 chance at best and risk losing 1/3 of my stack/??
    do i fold? do i fcuk!? he flips over jacks, i hit an ace and a queen but he hits all the remaing jacks... JK... 2...A J... bugger.

very next hand i get AQ clubs.... on the big blind and the previous short
    stack goes all in for 4,000
    i reckon he's on a steal and i call straight away... he's like, good call
    i've got muck... flips over K4 of hearts
    there's one heart on the flop and he catches another two runner runner
    hearts.... shight...

very next hand i get AQ clubs again. i complete the small blind after a load
    of callers and the bb raises it to
    2000 with blinds at 300-600 at this stage... its worth a call even after
    everybody else folds flop comes up
    Q high with two rags... so i push all in for the rest of my stack about 4000
    and he calls, flips over 22 and i
    notice theres a 2 on the flop!!!!

nightmare... was sitting pretty and in 3 hands im out!! it all went wrong
    calling a huge raise with AK... weak... never again!

hate poker... love poker.
    can't wait for next week already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jaden wrote:
    Just as a tip, don't let vagrants into this tourney, there was some guy at my table, scruffy, unkempt type, who was wearing a 9 year old t-shirt, and smelled like old newspaper. Apparently, he doesn't even have a proper job. Keep the riff-raff out next time.

You taking the piss ? Oh no he doesnt even have a proper job....

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

kinaldo wrote:
    can't believe u settled for a FOUR way split after all those hours when u were looking so strong
    I know, I wasnt terrifically impressed either but the fact remained that facing three stacks the same size roughly I would have had to play it out and win to do better then the deal on offer. To be honest I wanted to get home to get some work done on Antesup which is launching shortly (and Oscar was eyeing the time on the 20-in tournie too :)). Pride will fnck with you in this game and I may have been strong early on and mid game but thats history when you are short handed and evenish stacked.

Careca played an excellent game after he won a huge pot on the second last table to put him ahead as tournament chip leader by a fraction. So he wasnt going to let me have things all my own way!

Rasta, yeah he is taking the piss, he's talking about me (and I happy that I dont have a proper job. \o/ :)) Jaden, noone ever seems to get your humour :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

get moved to a tight table so raise loads and steal loads of blinds, then i
    make a few nice calls, my pocket 2s hold up against AQ and other over cards
    one of the players is all in and me and ken are checking it all the way but they hold up

That AQ was my exit. Was reasonably low stacked all the way through until ollie dealt my 66 - flop comes 66K; check; A; check, A. Bet 1,000. Put all in, gleefully call. Little did i know that it was the last good hand i'd get all afternoon. Out in 16th.

That freezeout made the muppetry of the freeroll afterwards even more obvious. Great tournie. Hope it continues to grow in reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

whiteshadow you were exceptionally unlucky with that run of hands you had before you. I was the guy with the Jacks. Wasn't the only four of a kind i hit yesterday at that very table! It was real tough to see you make those correct decisions and then get busted every time. You seem to have taken it very well. I hope i would do the same should a run of cards like that happens me!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

mmmm yes...the only thing we need now is to get upstairs open again....cause you all got in the way of me trying to run the freeroll....and the near heart attacl when I thought that the chips hadn't been set up for the freeroll :-/

Nic

hahah, yes the frantic harvesting of pink chips from the freezeout for the tourney was funny. Goes to show how big the club has grown.

DeV.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote:

Rasta, yeah he is taking the piss, he's talking about me (and I happy that I dont have a proper job. \o/ :)) Jaden, noone ever seems to get your humour :)

DeV.

F***ing newbies.....

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

jtsuited wrote:
    whiteshadow you were exceptionally unlucky with that run of hands you had before you. I was the guy with the Jacks. Wasn't the only four of a kind i hit yesterday at that very table! It was real tough to see you make those correct decisions and then get busted every time. You seem to have taken it very well. I hope i would do the same should a run of cards like that happens me!

thanks, unlucky but a terrible call on my part against you...
    the rest were unluucky but thats poker i guess..
    and then to run into a monster of trip twos...! classic!
    im a good loser though, until i rant the next day on boards that is... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jaden wrote:
    F***ing newbies.....

What the hell do you mean newbies, now you listen here i......

Now i get your humour :D

Advertisement