Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The characters of Limerick

Options
  • 12-06-2005 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

I was just reading an article on limerick.com about old characters of Limerick. We still have a lot of characters around the city, lots that you might see every day but not know who they are or what their names are, so I thought I'd stard a thread about them.

Obviously don't write anything that might be bad or slanderous about these people, just discuss them. After all they're part of what makes Limerick.. Limerick!

Willie Three Toes for example... although he hasn't been seen as much lately. I think he's moved to Ardnacrusha or someplace...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

I havent seen Willy three toes in good few years. He once attacked a guy on our school trip round the city because he was lookin at his dogs, he went mad. I remember goin to the cinema and before the film came on, there was like a promo about Limerick and famous people from the city sayin "where are u from?" and Willy was in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Who? What did he do? was he an actor or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 your my lady

willie three toes was a truly mad character. He used to walk the streets of Limerick dressed like a flippin Viking and had a big stick(simliar to something that you'd imagine from a Heidi book) he often had bells and odd sorts hanging off him. More often than not he traveled on his bike, and would spend his days roaring all sorts of gobbledegook. I heard bits and pieces of his ravings and, although he was (or is) a raving lunatic, he was very expressive and articualte. mad from Brains...so they say.

As far as I know he was living in St Mary's Park. I havent seen him in a couple of years. Maybe someone could shed some light?

How did he become famous? And how did he lose everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I remember him, seen him in town one day when the sun was splitting the rocks and he was on his bike with a big heavy overcoat on, ranting at everyone of course.

Anybody remember Dodo Reddin? She used to have a pram full of stray dogs and was seen at all Young Munster rugby matches out in Rosbrien. She was a charactor but alas she passed away about 8 years ago at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gurl05

i had no idea either.what bout that mad woman i aint sayin her name..i'd let ya figure it out...mad & homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Gurl05 wrote:
    i had no idea either.what bout that mad woman i aint sayin her name..i'd let ya figure it out...mad & homeless

you will have to be more specific :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Gurl05 wrote:
    If you found yourself homeless, you might go mad too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

annie.. well I think she's more of a person with a lot of problems than a character really

Yeah Dodo was gas. There was national outrage when they wouldn't let her into lansdowne road with the dogs for the league final! Had she a goat with her that day too?

She used to take in any stray dog and give it a home in her pram.. lots more strays in Limerick since she passed on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ya i lived a few doors up from willie 3toe`s going back a long time ago in st marys park fair enough the man was mad but he was as sound as a pound never harmed someone in his life only time would ever have attacked someone even do i think the word attacked is a bit much was because everyone was slagin him all the time if everyone went around roarin and slagin me id prob be in jail right now..ha he had some stories il tell ya that much. I remember one day me my aunt and my mother were out walking the island bank met willie and his hair was always really black cuz he used die it so my aunt asked him wat type of haie colour he used, well he went ape shi7 picked up a load of nettels rubbed them all over his face hair everyplace now ladies he said thats how its done no bloody fake coulor in my family! he aslo painted the roof of his house which he shared with his goat red so the planes from shannon wouldnt land on it (crazy but true) think he moved away now not sure were he always said he would.
    Wille Three Toe`s a True Limerick Character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

And as far as i know annie aint homeless she lives with her sister
    in weston. she aint a character she`s just another limerick street
    drinker who needs to get off the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Anyone remember Fat Francis (I think that's what he was called anyway)? Big fat guy that was always sitting on the steps beside Ted's. Haven't seen him in a while.

That Willie Three Toes guy was gas. I used work above the AIB bank on O'Connell St and we used to hear him ranting up the street on his bike on a regular basis.

Are these people all homeless? How do ye know them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gurl05

ya thats her annie fitz

John2002 wrote:
    Anyone remember Fat Francis (I think that's what he was called anyway)? Big fat guy that was always sitting on the steps beside Ted's. Haven't seen him in a while.

Francis Coleman was his name and I think he has passed away also. :(

bazz26 wrote:
    Francis Coleman was his name and I think he has passed away also. :(

yup : Francis passed away about 18 months ago . He used to be on Hyde road all the time looking for a lift to St. John's hospital .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Francis Coleman only died a few weks ago. he was big into old movies and was a walking encyclopedia on the movies.

My timeframe is a bit out the window atm due to not being at work , but I thought it was a lot longer than a few weeks . I used to work in a video store near him , a good few years back , and he used to spend ages in there , knew just about everything about films and seemingly had a big collection .

On another note , what about " mad monday" , never actually saw this guy myself , but everyone used to talk about him .

I remember Mad Monday alright, he stayed in St. Joseph's Hospital many years ago, when I used to walk down Mulgrave St. to school in the mornings he used be always sitting on the wall outside the Esso station with the same cigarette in his mouth, don't think he every smoked it. He had a huge beer belly and wore a cap similar to Dinnie from Glenroe.

Havn't seen him in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

"Disco Dom(inic)" has to be another of the charaters in Limerick.

Isn't he Gerry Hannan's brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

does anyone know who that guy is who travels around on the buses all day carrying an empty superquinn bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭KNS

Used to see that guy on the bus to Castletroy a fair bit. He used to just hop on at Williams Street chat to the bus driver and then get off up the road. Haven't gotten the bus much in the last few years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 your my lady

Dont think Disco Dom is a relative of gerry hannon, but he sure is a character. Whe I told him my date of birth, he told me on the spot that the pope was shot the day before I was born, and that the week I was born, Bobby Sands died in jail. All of which was true. Aparently, he has a photographic memory.

I also think he is mildly autistic, but Im not sure. He is certainly a very interesting ang genuine character.

Anybody know Tony Browne? i think he could qualify as a character?

tony browne the curtain maker and historian?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wonder why they called him willie three toes? My uncle was in his house years ago, he said the whole inside of one room was painted bright orange. He also had the full compliment of five toes on each foot.

Is that homeless guy who used to sit at the AIB bank on William St still alive. The one who always had his dog. My friend's mum bought him a burger onetime and he ate the bread and gave the dog the meat.

i wouldnt exactly call some of the people mentioned here , characters

they are just people who have fallen on hard times some of them.

iguana wrote:
    Is that homeless guy who used to sit at the AIB bank on William St still alive. The one who always had his dog. My friend's mum bought him a burger onetime and he ate the bread and gave the dog the meat.

That guy's name is Con , 30 odd years ago when I was a kid he used to be a gardener , he used to do ours at home , must ask mam and dad about him when I'm talking to them , but I believe it was just the demon drink that got the better of him .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Paige

God its weird reading this thread I know everyone yer talkin about!!

Bloody hell this is one small town :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement