Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting Questions

Options
  • 12-06-2005 1:22pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My understaning is that rabits can be shot at will, but whats the story with foxes? Dear are under a specfic licence arn't they?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

[
    QUOTE=Rew]My understaning is that rabits can be shot at will, but whats the story with foxes? Dear are under a specfic licence arn't they?
    [/QUOTE]

Err,well "shot at will" sounds abit dubious.As "fire at will" is a military command to open fire on an enemy as it suits the firerer!
    Maybe you mean can rabbits be hunted all year,by any means.Answer yes they can,as they are classified as vermin and do not enjoy any protection under the 1976 wildlife act. Ditto with foxes,although if you are a true hunter you will give them two months grace in Spring when the Vixen has her cubs to rear them that they are independant of her.But that is an ethical question,not a point of law.
    Deer are protected under the wildlife act ,with certain seasons fixed in law.As well as type of rifle calibre used etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

That is what I ment and I didn't mean to sound dubious :)

Who handles applications for dear licences?

Who handles applications for dear licences?
    [/QUOTE]

Coilte for the State lands&forests,and they will require proof of you doing this new Stalkers course as well as having insurance.Plus they can be a major PITA to deal with,what with no reply ,delays or general slowness.
    The Gaurds for the application of the large calibre rifle.
    You might be better off,if there is deer in your area to do a tour of local farmers who are botherd by them and ask them if they will give you permission[written] to hunt their lands.You take two of those to your Sgt when you apply for the rifle as proof of deer hunting rights.You will need their herd no on the letter as proof.It will also cut out the need of the Stalker course thing,if you are shooting on private land

Intresting. Coilte tend to be a pain for most things beyond walking in the forrest ;)

What are the regualr calibers used in dear hunting. I see some of the others are swearing by the .223 for foxes. Iv been trying to get an idea of how the differant calibers are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Parks and Wildlife issue the licenses

Letter from a landowner(try to get the land folio no. at this stage too), one should be enough. Ring P&W, they'll send you out the form. Return the form with your letter. The Ranger comes out to have a look at the area, deer density and no. of other licenses on the land are the important things. Then apply for your firearm certificate when you get your deer licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

Flattop 15 wrote:

You will need their herd no on the letter as proof.It will also cut out the need of the Stalker course thing,if you are shooting on private land[/QUOTE]

Not their Herd No , you will need the Folio Number of the land , which is used by Duchas to locate the piece of land on a land registry map , which they cross reference with a local parks and wildlife Ranger , who then calls to the landowner to confirm that there is deer on the land .

It will not do away with the need for The Stalker course indefinitely , you will still have to complete it before 2010 if you shoot over private land . I would advise that if you seriously want to take up Deer stalking , firstly contact your Local branch of The Irish Deer society , and get some information from them . :)

Ammoman wrote:
    I would advise that if you seriously want to take up Deer stalking , firstly contact your Local branch of The Irish Deer society , and get some information from them . :)

Just curious more then anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

Rew wrote:
    Just curious more then anything else.

even still , give them a call and you will get the Info thay you need , they will be very helpfull .

Not their Herd No , you will need the Folio Number of the land , which is used by Duchas to locate the piece of land on a land registry map
    DUH!!on my part :o Comes from filling in too many govt forms. One wanting a herd no the other wanting a folio

It will not do away with the need for The Stalker course indefinitely , you will still have to complete it before 2010 if you shoot over private land . would
    Intresting, the crowd talked to in Emo said nothing about this at all.Tell me this,are he deer alliance,and wild deer association of Ireland one and the same ,affilatiated or what?Also are they semi sate bodies,NGOs or do they recive any state monies,etc?Or how have they suddenly become policy setters/enforcers in this deer stalking course?

Advertisement