Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JP wanted more Omaha threads!

Options
  • 11-06-2005 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

Villain (Button) LAG $160
    Hero (CutOff) $100

Party Poker $1 bb (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Ah, 5h, 6c, Ac.
    MP1 calls $1, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $4.50, Villain calls $4.50, SB calls $4.50, BB calls $4.50, MP1 folds.

Flop: 4h, 9s, 7h (6 players)
    SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $10, Villain raises to $40, SB folds, BB folds, Hero???

What's your reasoning for what you would do next? What kind of hand do you think Villain has and why?

Would it make a difference if you knew that
    Cardplayer.com poker calculator says I am only 50.85% favorite over a set.

Hand 2
    Very LAG table
    Hero ($21) have KK24 ss (no spades) in the BB and check after 6 limpers.

Flop Ks 7s 8c

SB checks, Hero checks, check, check, Pot bet of 1.75 by a 25 stack, 100 stack calls, SB folds.
    Hero check-raises to 8.75, folds, orginal better folds, big stack calls $7.

Pot is $21,
    Turn 4 of spades

I push in my last 11.75.

Which line is best in a game like this?
    1) -- Lead flop, evaluate turn
    2) -- Call flop, wait for safe turn
    3) -- C/r flop, lead turn

BTW these hands were not played by me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Hand 1, you have a great holding. The straight outs are good because they are relatively hidden, your opponent will expect you to have the flush draw. The best way to play it depends on the stack sizes. If you you arent that deep, ie if you can get all in the flop then you should do it. This has a few advantages over check calling all in on the flop/turn; you might get two pair or bottom set to lay down (its a slim hope especially as you raised preflop), and your opponent might check fold a third heart. If you cant get in on the flop then call the bet and hope to turn a straight. If you turn the straight think for a while then bet out small. Your opponent will read this for the nutflush draw trying to get a cheap river and raise you. You can then move in.

In hand two I think the guy played his hand the worst possible way. First of all he practically announced his hand on the flop, then he moves on in the turn when the second worst card in the deck falls. I think you should lead flop, reraise if raised, and check call/fold turn depending on stack size/bet amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Nice examples Luke, that Donegal air must be doing you wonders.

Hand one you have 16 clean outs against top set, which is the best this LAG can have, (I've seen idiots repot in this situation with J hi and Q hi flush draws drawing practically dead against you for all their chips), and 16 outs with 2 cards to come would be enough for me to reraise the pot, which in this example is all in, every time. While I like the look of Hectors modified omaha stop and kinda go™ with a holding this strong I'd favour getting as many of of chips in as this pot will allow.

Hand two: KK24 is a deceptive holding and not that strong. You have no flush draw. Any straight you make is likely to be beaten by a higher one with the 24. So no raise in the first place is good. When you hit your set on a nasty looking board you need to find out where you are at as soon as possible by leading out. The 4 of spades is a "fuktard" of a card on the turn and its check fold city all the way.

At the end of the day its Omaha, lol ;)

Advertisement