Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my course choices?????

Options
  • 11-06-2005 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hey,
    just wonderin does anybody know if the communications degree and international relations are any good??? have my heart set on goin to dcu if i get my points.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RWL

Hey,
    just wonderin does anybody know if the communications degree and international relations are any good??? have my heart set on goin to dcu if i get my points.

The two courses are not like each other from what ive been told of communications but im in International Relations and the course is really interesting, in first year it mix's with Economics, Politics and Law but they are really different courses. IR deals a lot with international politics’ and globalisation, in between would be international law and EU law. Basically everything relevant about world politics’ you will be covering.

Ok the pro's of this course and the cons; Pro:
    In first year anyway, u only have a 9hr lecture week, in semester 1 you will be off every friday so long wkd!! and for me in semester 2 and a lot of other's they were off every wed's and fri. this was very handy!
    Another pro is that for the xmas exams I only had 2exams while the average I think is about 4-6 and the end of semester 2 I had 3.

There are a few cons:
    At the beginning of each semester you basically don’t have much to do for about a month and then the work load starts, essays and presentations start coming in. Essay's are not much of a problem but the whole researching stuff and a lot of reading if u want anyway of a decent result. We got an essay for 4000words on International law and I have a friend in 3rd year that would not even get an essay that length!

Even though we only had 2 and 3 exams, there is a lot of preparation for them, again you will need to read many journals and chapters in books to get a good understanding of these topics, it's not something you can practice and pick up!

The course does balance itself but your gonna get that with any course, I personally wouldn't want to do any other course now, It's the only course in the country that covers International Relations which gives a very good advantage to student's who wish to work with the EU or UN after your degree or masters.

Advertisement