Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another "What do you do?"

Options
  • 11-06-2005 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

10 players left in a live tournament, 2 tables of 5 so just one more to go before the final table. As the hand on your table is being dealt, a player gets knocked out at the other table, so basically everyone is in the final.

However, you must play out your hand first. You are the BB with 20K (blinds at 1K/2K). It's folded to the button, who is the chip leader with 80K, and has been stealing constantly at this table. He raises to 10K, half your stack. You look down and see TT. You know you are in the final (where everyone gets paid anyway): what do you do here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

He's gonna call for another ten but I would have gone all in. He went on to split it with Macker for 1500 each. Macker won a huge pot just before the deal with a pair of fours against ace ten. That guy got 3rd, i managed to squeeze into 4th. The blinds were unfrozen and if you didnt have a huge chip stack u were dead. So trying to build a stack as u did was the only way to get some decent money from the tournie. its a tough way to make an easy living alright.

if you had have folded, went to the final table with 6 big blinds, found no cards and got busted in 7th u would have been kicking yourself for not going allin with the tens.

if its any consolation queens got busted by fives on the final table.

have a good weekend man, d.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Call and push on the flop regardless of what flops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

The reason I posted this is because I think there is a big case for folding your hand here! If this hand had come up even one hand earlier, then it's an obvious spot where you have to get your money in. You have TT on the BB against an agressive stealer on the button, so your tens have a big +EV advantage.

But now the conditions are totally different... the final table has already been decided, so the button has no more need to be so aggressive. At this stage people are actually getting up from the table to do the draw for final table seats! So when he makes a move here, you know he has to have a decent hand, and more than likely a pair bigger than tens. So do you still want to get involved here?

I moved all-in anyway, but in the back of my mind I knew it was a mistake. He called and turned over QQ, and I'm out.

So the moral of the story is, be wary of strong plays when the final table has been decided!

Edit: Well done on fourth, Des... I know you said you were going to win it, but next time...

Why does the fact that the final table has been decided mean he has no need to be aggressive any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I agree with Hector, i do not see how that is going to alter his strategy. If he had been stealing frequently I would have gone back over the top. I think you played the hand correctly.

• Advertisement

OK, it's not that he doesn't need to be aggressive anymore, but in my experience once the last player goes out on the other of two final tables, the last hand on the other table is usually played out very passively. After slogging it out for an hour or so, people are just satisfied with being in the final, so any strong play usually means a big hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭accensi0n

You'll be first to act on the flop and he's going to call the preflop all in anyway so I suggest that you should have called and pushed on the flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Stop and go go go!!!!

Guys, my point is that any move in this situation usually indicates a strong hand, whether the guy has previously been very aggressive or not. I've been at a fair few Fitz final tables, and I've never seen anything different, so I kinda knew I was up against a better hand. At the same time, I wanted to double up, as 40K in chips would put me in good shape at the final table.

I'm also not convinced that the "stop and go" that everyone is advocating here will work. After the flop, villian will be getting 3/1 on his money, so even calling with overcards to the flop would probably be correct. (Although it does look to be a better play than the simple all-in, but either way I think I'm going broke here unless I fold preflop or get lucky).

I'm also not convinced that the "stop and go" that everyone is advocating here will work. After the flop, villian will be getting 3/1 on his money, so even calling with overcards to the flop would probably be correct. (Although it does look to be a better play than the simple all-in, but either way I think I'm going broke here unless I fold preflop or get lucky).

The first thing to realise about the stop and go is that you use it instead of pushing preflop, so if it doesnt work you havent lost anything; as your opponent would of called preflop anyway.

Allthough your opponent is right to call with overcards on the flop many times he wont have two overcards, and many times he will have an underpair, or 1 overcard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement