Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merrion WSOP Satellite

Options
  • 10-06-2005 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭

No joy for me tonight
    Was knocked out when my semi bluff re-raise on an all diamond J high flop (I had J 5d) ran into slow played pocket Aces. I hit a 5 on the turn but a diamond on the river gave my opponent the nuts to win a 22k pot.
    Such is poker. I didn't mind too much as I had won my ticket in a one table satellite before hand. It was a fantastic tournament, the best I have played in a while. A lot of players travelled up from all over the country so there was a field of about 100. 4 WSOP tickets were up for grabs. Lets hope somebody who replies to this post has their name on one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

my mate was down to the last 2 tables when i dropped in on my way back from the fitz freeroll. think he said there was 5 tickets.

good luck de deraco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

yeah dave came back about an hr ago and he said there were now 5 tickets. kevin maloney was doing well. des, dave said you were still in - any report?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

ocallagh wrote:
    yeah dave came back about an hr ago and he said there were now 5 tickets. kevin maloney was doing well. des, dave said you were still in - any report?

That was a brutal experience. I never had more than more than twice the starting chips until 2 hands before the end. At the break I was down to half the starting chips and quite resigned but 4 hours into it I doubled up a few times until when we got down to 3 tables I had about 8 times the big blind. good for me.
    honestly saw no cards, had to go all in to rob blinds. finally went all in with a pair of sevens, get called, the guy turns over fives. Five on the flop. game over. gutted actually because that double up would have got me to the last two tables.
    kevin maloney is doing well. Ken, kpnuts, got hit as I was leaving. Mick McCLoskey is doing well.
    I played as best I could with what I got, but looking down at the same low cards over and over again for five hours, 9 until 2am, has broken my will.
    only cost me 10 dollars courtesy of paddy power and a tight solid game which I appreciated after the insanity of cheap buy in games but right now if I don't see a deck of cards for awhile I will be happy.

I think Kevin will win a ticket. fair to play to him. i would have loved to have gone (sob).
    all-in, des.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I didn't even get my free meal. After winning one of the satellites to qualify I started out by taking the first pot, getting crippled in the second (down to 75), and out in the 3rd. To make matters worse I arrived at The Fitz freeroll still steaming, rebought 3 times in about 6 hands, then finally built up a decent stack only to get rivered out of it when down to the last 3 almost 2 tables. So frustrating. At least there'll be another chance to qualify for the WSOP next week in The Fitz. Damn I can't wait. The Merrion is bad luck for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

kinaldo wrote:
    I didn't even get my free meal. After winning one of the satellites to qualify I started out by taking the first pot, getting crippled in the second (down to 75), and out in my 3rd. To make matters worse I arrived at The Fitz freeroll still steaming, rebought 3 times in about 6 hands, then finally built up a decent stack only to get rivered out of it when down to the last 3 almost 2 tables. So frustrating. At least there'll be another chance to qualify for the WSOP next week in The Fitz. Damn I can't wait. The Merrion is bad luck for me.

I didnt know the Fitz was doing a WSOP night. Can you tell me more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

300plus30 freezeout, 10,000 euro prizes Thursday at 8 30, freeroll and stts from 4 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Next Thusday instead of the usual freeroll they're having a WSOP freezout satellite. Tickets are something like €330 but there'll be a freeroll at 4.30pm and a few single table satellites. Luke said 1 ticket for everey 34 runners should be good, I love freezouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

Agreed that tonight's tourney was good, nice friendly half-hour clock and no majorly dramatic blind jumps. I had a dream start when when a nutter at my starting table pushed on a flop of K-J-10 when I had pocket KK (he had AJ and thankfully didn't jam a lady). Failed to build on that though really, mostly because the table was totally unbluffable during the rebuy period. Example: during Level 2 with blinds still at 50-100, SB completes, BB raises for 400, SB reraises for 3k, BB goes all-in for 4k+ and SB calls ... SB has K8o and BB has A6o :D ... overall though, it was a very strong field, with plenty of good players from all over the country ... I never managed to get my stack above the 11k level I had at the first break and was shortstacked at last 3 tables stage. So, with blinds at 800-1.5k, when Christy Smith limped in mid pos and SB completed, I felt I had to push for 6.4k with Ah5h in BB. Christy reraised all-in to get rid of the SB and I was pleased to see Christy turn over Js10c. Flop brought me two hearts, but crucially one of them was the 10 that put Christy ahead and I failed to fill the flush. There wasn't one hand I feel I could/should have played differently all night, for most of the last 2 hours, I had a high-stacked and bullish Adrian Walsh to my left, so stealing was tricky to say the least. It was just one of those nights where it wasn't to be :( ... when I left, there were 20 players still in ... Micky McCloskey, Adrian Walsh, Kevin Maloney, Brian Vickers, Christy Smith all had plenty of chips, last year's Irish Open winner Ivan Donaghy was going OK, Mick Sullivan from Cork was still in, as was Sean 'Riverkick' Gregory from Cavan, Merrion manager Dara's other half Gerry (don't know his surname) and can't remember who else... by the time I finish trying to qualify for wsop main event this year, I'll have blown almost half the face value of the ticket ... I've played 3 final qualifiers on Betfair (1 @ $165 + 2 @ $320), spent $650 on one final as well as $130ish in a rebuy satellite both on P'stars and also a couple of hundred bucks on party poker ... so that's around $2k online already, plus tonight's 630 euro which is roughly another $1k, and I'll play Betfair's $320 tourney this sunday too ... and then probably the Fitz next week, then maybe Galway's Connacht Cup, then Full Tilt Poker's 30-seat giveaway tourney, then ???? ..... I should have just bought in :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭De Deraco

nightmare for me just back from merrion came 7th did a deal with the cash so 5-9 got 900 each it was a great game, very good play got dogged with 10 players left had 110,000 chip leader or there abouts, got AA first to act goes all in with 99 preflop i call he hits quads lost half my stack, then the final table was very tight with blinds at 10,000 and 5000 average stack was 90,000 and i simply got blinded out ended up having to make a move with 10 7 suited i was on the big blind and had 10 of my 30,000 in got called by j 9 so it was a maths move but i didn,t like it sadly no joy. its a hard price drop to take 7100 euro difference in prize.

mick mccloskey and kev maloney went out unluckily, bob and brian vickers got tickets i didn't know the other guys names.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

ul De Deraco. sounds like u did nothing wrong, just savage to run into the quad 9s with your pocket rockets. top effort tho, wp...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

A mate of mine played this last night, arrived late and first hand he got was AA, he flat called, it was raised to 600 behind him, one caller, then reraised to 1200. Came around to him, he went all-in and was called. His opponent turned over TT and hit quads on the flop.

Rather than buyin again he simply got up and left, painful in the extreme! although not as bad as De Deraco, vul there...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Iago wrote:
    A mate of mine played this last night, arrived late and first hand he got was AA, he flat called, it was raised to 600 behind him, one caller, then reraised to 1200. Came around to him, he went all-in and was called. His opponent turned over TT and hit quads on the flop.

Rather than buyin again he simply got up and left, painful in the extreme! although not as bad as De Deraco, vul there...
    Ouch...he must be sick to his stomach even now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

kinaldo wrote:
    Next Thusday instead of the usual freeroll they're having a WSOP freezout satellite. Tickets are something like €330 but there'll be a freeroll at 4.30pm and a few single table satellites. Luke said 1 ticket for everey 34 runners should be good, I love freezouts.

do you have to take a ticket or can you get the cash? I'm just thinking you're looking at over €11K for finishing in the top four here with a couple of thousand probably split between 5th-9th, my sisters getting married the week of the WSOP but it would be worth playing in this for the €11K if you could take the cash?

You dont have to take the ticket, infact its up to you to get your ticket if you want to play, its a cash tournament with 10,000euro as each prize

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd WANT to be forced to take the ticket :):)
    I couldnt honestly justify spending 10K on a ticket now so I'd rather HAVE to! :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Oscar has the structure been set for this yet. Will it be similar to the 270 end of month in terms of starting chips and will the clock be extended in the latter levels to allow for more play.
    Thanks

sounds good i think ill play it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I wonder if we can use €270 game credit for this? Rory, you must be sitting on hundreds of € credit at this stage!

I would guess that the structure will be the same as the end of month but hopefully lwith more 25 minute levels (this will probably be introduced for the end of month aswell)

there should be a smaller field so the structure should work better, with 130players it normally goes a bit crazy around the 50player mark but with a smaller field it will be easier to control and with more time to finish blinds can be frozen if at any stage its going crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

The WSOP in the fitz could be huge... The Merrion got 13 tables(so i hear)! I wouldn't be surprised if the fitz had close to 150 looking for a seat!
    It should start early and the blinds should be aggressive enough early on, levelling out and even freezing as the play gets down to the last table.

I know people don't like aggressive blind levels early on, but I don't see the alternative. (It is better than skipping blind levels later in the tournament)

With such a steep prize structure it can't end up (as many Thursdays do) as an all in pre-flop, call or fold final table!

• Advertisement

Seeing as the tournament was only anounced on thursday and this is the only place besides the Fitz it has been advertised Id be hopeing for 50 players or so. Remember the Merrion were advertising theirs for the last 6 months

ill ther so make that 51

Advertisement