Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone book listing

Options
  • 09-06-2005 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of porting my number over to Blueface. When this is done I will be cancelling my land line. Will I still be in the phone book or will Eircom not publish my number as I am not a customer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

paulm17781 wrote:
    I am in the process of porting my number over to Blueface. When this is done I will be cancelling my land line. Will I still be in the phone book or will Eircom not publish my number as I am not a customer?
    You are entitled to be in the phonebook (or, on your request, out of it) irrespective of who is providing your phone number. The White Pages is produced by Eircom Wholesale and is an extract of the National Directory Database (NDD), also maintained by Eircom Wholsale. A little bit more info on directories can be found here:

http://www.askcomreg.ie/other/National_Directory_Database.82.LE.asp

As the wrinkles are ironed out, VoIP providers in Ireland will get their numbers into the NDD and the White Pages. And in case you were wondering the White Pages were published last month (May 2005) so you'll have to wait until next year to get your number in the White Pages if you already have a number from a VoIP provider.

Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

another queston about this,
    are voip numbers in the 076 bracket or can you get them regionally assigned?

if ther in 076, do they have to make a new phone book for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

Chalk wrote:
    another queston about this,
    are voip numbers in the 076 bracket or can you get them regionally assigned?

if ther in 076, do they have to make a new phone book for them?
    The numbers I was talking about were Geographic Numbers and they are regionally assigned, i.e. you have to be in the Minimum Numbering Area (MNA); 01, 021, 053 etc; to qualify for a number. As far as the NDD is concerned there won't be any difference between a Geographic number being terminated on an analogue line and a geographic number being terminated on an IP device.

It's a good question about whether 076 numbers will be included in the White Pages and the NDD? There is perhaps a bit of logic in suggesting that with the advent of VoIP numbers having a directory that is only accessible from the Web will be sufficient and a fairly redundant and expensive paper version can be dispensed with. Obviously if you can't or don't want to get an internet connection and desire to look up someone's 076 number you'd disagree but then you wouldn't be reading this...

Aaron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Regarding 076 numbers (at least), they can get issued like nobodys business. I got one today to test out this whole VoIP business. I may never use it again after a couple of days. And the number is only associated with an email address. I'd suspect these numbers will be like prepaid mobile numbers - impossible to assign. So I can't see an accurate 076 directory anyway.

I'd hope and expect that if I stay with VoIP and get an 01 number that it will appear in the phonebook.

Advertisement