Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gothic/Church door design ??

Options
  • 09-06-2005 3:26pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

We are looking to put in a gothic or church design door in our new hut, we have/had a guy lined up but he is acting the fool and I am afraid we will have to go away from him.

Anyone have any good joiners in the West or have got a custom door made before?

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

yop wrote:
    Lads

We are looking to put in a gothic or church design door in our new hut, we have/had a guy lined up but he is acting the fool and I am afraid we will have to go away from him.

Anyone have any good joiners in the West or have got a custom door made before?

Many thanks

Hi Yop,,

Is this a true gothic arch door. Or a gothic arch style door, to fit an existing designed ope.

Are you looking for the traditional hammerhead tenon construction, or a look alike arrangement.

Is it a single opening door, or a double opening, half and half.

What sort of timber, hardware, security do you intend fitted into it.

Is it to have draft excluder fitted as well.

I assume there is a square ope in your tf for the door. Is this to be arched as well on the internal panel to match the door frame.

Have you got a design picked out, panels, or sheeting, maybe carving as well. Or are you relying on a joiner for guidance.

Your man is probably acting the fool, because he cant crack that nut.

Piece of cake really for the initiated. :D:D

What part of the west.

kadman :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pic attached of exact design, we saw this door and loved the design.

Down In Mayo.

kadman wrote:
    Hi Yop,,

Is this a true gothic arch door. Or a gothic arch style door, to fit an existing designed ope.

Are you looking for the traditional hammerhead tenon construction, or a look alike arrangement.

Is it a single opening door, or a double opening, half and half.

What sort of timber, hardware, security do you intend fitted into it.

Is it to have draft excluder fitted as well.

I assume there is a square ope in your tf for the door. Is this to be arched as well on the internal panel to match the door frame.

Have you got a design picked out, panels, or sheeting, maybe carving as well. Or are you relying on a joiner for guidance.

Your man is probably acting the fool, because he cant crack that nut.

Piece of cake really for the initiated. :D:D

What part of the west.

yop wrote:
    Pic attached of exact design, we saw this door and loved the design.

Down In Mayo.

Hi Yop,

Trust me , but from the pic, thats a poor looking door quality wise.

The slips appear to be on the outside, and not moulded. The sheeting at the bottom of the horizontal slip, appears to have staining marks along the fixing points, probably due to water reacting with the nails/pins.

The square frame definitely takes from the overall impression of a gothic arch. The top of the centre stiles have been reduced in width, poor design option. As the top of these stiles are morticed, this has effectively halved the strength of the top joints.

A gothic arch door should be striking in appearence and quality.

This door stands out for the wrong reasons.

The joiner that made this door, has definitely not mastered his craft.

I have given you my opinion on your pic, based on good joinery skills.

You have put so much effort in the total package of your build, you deserve a better door than this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

How in the name of god can you see all that!! ( am I say this in a good way!!)

Have you joinery experience???

Any idea where I might get this design then with better quality by any chance lad??

cheers

Actually have a look at these, what u think??

http://www.wilsonsyard.com/findsearch.php?itemcat=Exterior+Doors

yop wrote:
    How in the name of god can you see all that!! ( am I say this in a good way!!)

Have you joinery experience???

Any idea where I might get this design then with better quality by any chance lad??

cheers

Actually have a look at these, what u think??

http://www.wilsonsyard.com/findsearch.php?itemcat=Exterior+Doors

Joinery experience...25 years as a master joiner. Traditional methods, and modern construction.

I can see all that, because I know what to look for. You cant beat experience.

They are a better selection of design, better looking in terms of gothic arch symmetry. In short probably a true gothic arch set out. Of course being the authentic article, maybe 150 -200 years old, constructed by a master joiner.
    Construction methods look excellent.

What happened to your joiner.

• Advertisement

Likes to pints of Arthur too much and has missed 3 site meetings with me, cannot rely on him to be honest.

Do you know of anyone who would make a door like that or maybe a similar design?

yop wrote:
    Likes to pints of Arthur too much and has missed 3 site meetings with me, cannot rely on him to be honest.

Do you know of anyone who would make a door like that or maybe a similar design?

I could make that door in my sleep, or any other design, but thats just me. :cool: :cool:

I do not know off hand, any one in your area, that springs to mind.
    How far would you be from Boyle. I remember interviewing a guy from that area for a tf job. He had impeccable references, worked on handmade furniture for Donald Trumps yacht. He was from Holland, and wanted to get into timberframe manufacturing. :cool:

His portfolio was one of the best I had ever seen. I strongly reccomended for our vacancy. It would have been refreshing to have an extremely experienced joiner with us. He was the only interviewee I opted for.
    Our director over ruled me , and picked a 17 year old school leaver. :eek:

Another robot, teflon coated brain, minimum wage. Never ending story.

I suppose we get an open ended budget on this one for Rookad, eh Yop. :D

kadman

Advertisement