Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiders everywhere!!! Aaaaggghhh

Options
  • 09-06-2005 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi All

My decking area and grass around it has loads of spiders running all over it. They are about the size of a 1c piece with white backs and hairy legs. There were a few over the winter months but seem to have drastically multiplied over the spring. As I walk along my decking they dash all around and in between the deck boards. Its kind of creepy and my GF wont even go out there.

Does anybody know how to get rid of them permanently? Or recommend a product that will nuke them properly??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Found two in the bath yesterday, hate the ****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Lose the decking. Be grateful its only spiders living under there in the nice cosy environment you've created for vermin of all kinds. Wasps are quite keen on nesting under decking, as are mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Real

If I loose the decking does that mean I have to loose the shed and garden furniture and raised patio too???

I dont think so. There has to be a way to kill spiders effectively??

Anyone got any practical ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

fire

or

insecticide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

Those plug-in ultrasonic pest control jobbies (like pestx) claim to work for spiders. I don't know about what range they cover, or anything.

I wonder if theres an IP65 version that you could use outdoors in an IP65 socket...

• Advertisement

Not sure how well fire will mix with my wooden painted decking but the insecticide is probably an option. Can anyone recommend a 'fry them good and proper' brand??

I also thought about the electric jobbie but I have no outside plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

If you get rid of the spiders other kinds of insect life might flourish . . . .flies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

paint your decking with this
    http://www.firefree.com/

then go nuts. trust me fire is a lot of fun....

I really dont think fire is an option. Firstly there are lots of parts on the decking I couldnt possible reach with a paintbrush and secondly I really dont want to set my decking on fire to get rid of spiders. Can you imagine me trying to explain that one to the insurance company :eek:

Plus its a bit too 'Rambo' for my taste.

I agree that getting rid of the spiders might increase the flies etc but I can live with them doing their thing, but I dont want to lie out in the summer on my beautiful deck with spiders running all over me!!! eeewwww!!!

There has to be some sort of spray / trap etc that will solve the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

The spiders won't harm you, their more afraid of you than you or your GF is of them, you will notice that when you use your decking more (as the weather gets better !) you won't even see them, and no they won't crawl all over you when you laying out, flies will.

• Advertisement

These spiders are fearless. Trust me!!! When I go out there its like I have invaded their space!!!

Any yes they will crawl on me. They already have. There is no way I will lie out there in the summer sun in my shorts with so many of therm around.

They must die!! I must find spider poison!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

you could view it as an opportunity... hire the spiders out to the guy with the ant problem :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SnotNosedGit

You can get powder in woodies. I think its called killant.
    Squirt this in between your deckboards. No pint putting it on top because it'll just wash off in the rain.

Squirt it so that the dust gets everywhere under the decking.
    After about a week there'l be no more bees, spiders, ants etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fire.Spray your decking with petrol and set light to it,it'll burn any spiders right back to spiderland.Yeeha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

See how he runs? Get a drop of the shine Gramps forgot about from years gone by, spray all over the spiders and set a match to it.

Realisticly, go to your nearest (for convenience) DIY shop, explain u have a spider problem and watch as the salesperson whisk away to get a bottle of the most craziest gunk man ever thought of. Buy it, spray it on, under, beside, on top of, parallel and adjacent to those hairy mofos and watch them squirm. Without trying to sound unhelpful, I fail to see the difficulty you are experiencing. The fact that the spiders are small, hairy and have white backs wont trouble a good ol' can of Spider Killer. I doubt they developed any kind of immunity to Spider Killer over the years.

Seriously, DIY shop and explain.
    Best of luck. ;)

Advertisement