Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushy park intervals

Options
  • 09-06-2005 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Anyone here do the long (it looks long to me) interval in Bushy park? From the Templeogue Road side along the path to the corner of the basketball courts. I'm guessing that it is slightly over 600m.

I'm just curious about what kind of times are being put in for these.
    Think clubs do them on Tuesdays/Thursdays. Always wondered what times the serious guys did this in.
    I've had a go at it once or twice...... not a pretty sight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well it depends what recovery and how many you do but for a session of 8-10 600s 1-2min recovery the top guys (club runners) do them in around 2:40 I think

Sorry typo; that should be 1:40 not 2:40

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

I would have thought that the top end club runners would be doing this a bit quicker.

I can average 1:50 for 6 with 2 min recovery and am a long way from being a good club runnner. Granted the above suggestion does estimate 8-10, I thought that they might be down to around 1:30 for 8-10. (for the same distance that I am doing, I might be wrong with my estimate of 600m)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

1:30 for 8-10 reps of 600m on a track with 2mins rec, would be a great session for any runner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

dermCu wrote:
    I would have thought that the top end club runners would be doing this a bit quicker.

I can average 1:50 for 6 with 2 min recovery and am a long way from being a good club runnner. Granted the above suggestion does estimate 8-10, I thought that they might be down to around 1:30 for 8-10. (for the same distance that I am doing, I might be wrong with my estimate of 600m)

you have to bare in mind that the clubs that run in bushy park have different groups some groups will do it faster then others!

• Advertisement

dermCu

You have to remember that 1:30 600m is 2minute 800m pace, so to run 8-10 of them is quite tough, especially when you're running along a footpath!

Anyway forget about what times the top guys can do, if you're averaging 1:50 you'ld be well up in any training group.

My advice - JOIN A CLUB!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

....or get a loan of a measuring wheel

Dont have a clue where i'd get a measuring wheel !!!
    But I do have slightly too much free time today so have a look at this:

http://www.routeruler.com/

Download and use the attached image of bushy park to measure.
    My route works at 610m (as long as this tool/map combo is accurate)

RR: True, when you put it that way 1:30 is very fast. What times others do wont change my training one bit, curiosity was just getting the better of me.

Club running is not for me but thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

dermCu wrote:
    Anyone here do the long (it looks long to me) interval in Bushy park? From the Templeogue Road side along the path to the corner of the basketball courts. I'm guessing that it is slightly over 600m.

I'm just curious about what kind of times are being put in for these.
    Think clubs do them on Tuesdays/Thursdays. Always wondered what times the serious guys did this in.
    I've had a go at it once or twice...... not a pretty sight.
    Hi im new to this board but im just home from an interval session in bushy park..Tonight we didn't do 600m sets,we did 500m sets..We dont use the path we run on the grass on the edge of the path..Times we do the 600m sets would be around 1.40-1.50..one or two guys might be a little quicker!!normally we would do ten sets of 600m with 75-80secs recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Wow that's just what I've been looking for.
    How big are the boxes on that map? One square mile?

• Advertisement

I think its 1km between boxes.

Epo addict: 10 x 600 with 80sec rec !!! Thats a tough session. I'm up to 7 with rec down to 1:45. By the time the 7th comes around I am wrecked, think it will be a while before I can improve that session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Thanks
    I realised it wasn't 1 mile when I measured my route but still wasn't sure whether it was 1km or 0.5 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

Last night we did 6 by 1200m with 2mins rec.Where Sportsworld have a club house we start at the black path just about 30 metres past it and the lap is a full loop of the park finishing at the clubhouse..Bushy park has markers around the park..If you look on the path there are lines at each end of the park so you know were to start and finish..DermCu keep up the hard work as the more sessions you do your rec time will come down..Trust me we do be wrecked when we get to 7 sets too!The last few hurt but there the ones that really count

Advertisement