Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Luck Andy

Options
  • 08-06-2005 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭

""Once the chip leader, the nature of no-limit hold em' caught up to Andrew Black as his fortunes changed in just a few hands. After losing a substantial amount of his stack to Harry Demetriou on his first hand, Black decided it was time to get some of it back. Black raised pre-flop to $8,000, Isaac Galazan makes the call. The flop comes Ah-6h-2c, Black checks and Galazan pushes all-in. Black calls and flips his pocket kings and Galazan reveals A-10. The turn comes 9c and the river does not bring the miracle king that Black needed. Black is eliminated in 11th place and he earns $12,605 for his efforts.""

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

just heard. ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Yea that stinks, loose a race and then loose with Ks to the poxy A. Goes to show the nature of tournament play, get through a massive mine field to loose it all in two hands. If the flops or cards were reversed in those two hands he would be coasting to final table dominance.
    That's the problem I find with tournaments, the greatest skill element is actually getting through the mine field when the blinds are small enough to allow for some play. Then when you succeed and get down to the final two or three tables the blinds are often significant enough to reduce the game to preflop two card poker. If you don't get the cards and at least win you're 50/50s you're pretty much done for. People are forced to loosen up and fight for the blinds thereby often requiring elements of luck to survive.
    Ah well what might have been. Anyway congrats on the great result Andy and good luck in your future endevours in the WSOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Which its why its so important for tournament directors in Ireland to pay extra attention to the blind structure of their tourneys. When it turns into a race with the ace freeforall then that tourney has failed.
    Profits have been made in the past year but with the increase of internet satellites into big games I think players are going to lose interest in paying big money into local Irish tournies unless the blind structure is very professionally handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

well from that piece it sounds like there was plenty of play....if a pre-flop raise was to 8000....and the stacks were in the 100's of thousands then there is plenty of play....

Nic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Yea that stinks, loose a race and then loose with Ks to the poxy A. Goes to show the nature of tournament play, get through a massive mine field to loose it all in two hands. If the flops or cards were reversed in those two hands he would be coasting to final table dominance.
    That's the problem I find with tournaments, the greatest skill element is actually getting through the mine field when the blinds are small enough to allow for some play. Then when you succeed and get down to the final two or three tables the blinds are often significant enough to reduce the game to preflop two card poker. If you don't get the cards and at least win you're 50/50s you're pretty much done for. People are forced to loosen up and fight for the blinds thereby often requiring elements of luck to survive.
    Ah well what might have been. Anyway congrats on the great result Andy and good luck in your future endevours in the WSOP.

When the final table started Andy has 65 Big Blinds. The average stack was over 30 big blinds, that allows for a lot of play. In fact andy was knocked out calling all in on a Ace high board with a pair of kings. It wasnt all in preflop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Andy stupidly decided to go all in against Harry D the second chip leader hollding AK, how they were both willing to risk their tanks on a coinflip at best I dont know, anyway hard luck Andy

Advertisement