Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower Troubles

Options
  • 08-06-2005 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I just bought a new petrol Lawn Mower from B&Q, I used it once and my brother-in-law used it, he turned it on it's side to fix a wheel. When I tried to start it it wouldn't, I brought it back to B&Q, they said there was oil on the spark plug because it was turned on it's side. I cleaned the spark plug but it still won't start. Sometimes after trying to start it another very small bit of oil gets on the Spark Plug, I clean it every time and try to restart it and still no joy.

I have tried emptying the petrol and oil and replacing them, it does no good.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Is there oil down in the chamber where the spark plug sits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I think there was originally oil in the chamber, hence the spark plug having oil on it. I have cleaned the spark plug and continually tried to restart the mower, after each failure cleaning the spark plug again and refitting it.

It's now at the point where if I tried to start the mower there is little or no oil getting on the spark plug, I'm not sure if there is still oil in the chamber, If there was I would have thought it would be getting on to the spark plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

This may sound mad, but try post in the motors forum.
    It is a motor after all....
    And there's loads of ppl there who could prob be useful to you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

First thing to do you check to see if you have spark at the plug.

Remove plug from chamber, and clean.
    Place spark into plug lead, and make sure it touches metal.
    Do not hold plug, but observe the electrodes when pulling the cord, if you touch the plug while pulling the cord, you will get a shock.
    Spark should jump across the electrodes, if it does continue.

Empty about a tea spoon of petrol into the chamber.
    BE CAREFUL when using petrol. :eek:
    Replace the plug.
    Pull the cord.
    Mower should start.

If there was no spark at plug, and you are not mechanical, its too hard to explain the strip down to test for spark problems. So bring to a mechanic.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Had similar trouble with a mower, check the air filter and make sure it's not soaked with oil or petrol.

I did cut the grass without the filter, not recommended, the replacement is a couple of euro if you can't get it to dry out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement