Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why didn't the kicker kick?

Options
  • 08-06-2005 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm a little confused about some hands from a game last night. Our dealer wasn't the greatest in deciding who won what pot, so most of the time, a couple of the players would give her a hand.

On one hand, I can't remember the specifics, but A-7 came up against J-7. The board had a small pair, so the consensus seemed to be to split the pot, even though I would've assumed that the A kicker would've won it. The same thing happened a little while later, split pot although there was a definite kicker in play.

Then, about an hour later, with a different dealer, 2 pair on the board, a K kicker takes the pot.

Is there any reason why a kicker wouldn't kick, particularly in the case of pair on the board? Is there any tournie rule about kickers and split pots. I said nothing because I wasn't in any of the hands and didn't really care either way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

The dealer obviously didn't know what was happening because the kicket most definetly comes into play. Saying that, the players couldn't have been much better if the 'winner' allowed the pot to be split. Where were you playing as a matter of interest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

The Macau in Cork. It definitely happened once, I may have missed something on the board the first time it happened, but the second time, I checked it thoroughly, definitely shouldn't have been a split pot.

The 2 guys in it didn't strike me as fish, especially as one of them was the 2nd chip leader at the time. The only thing I could think of was there was a guy to my right who was practically running the table (also chip leader) and he stated 'split pot' so it may have just been an error on his part and everyone deferred to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I'm trying to think of a hand (where the board does not have a st8, flush or full house or quads on it and I'm sure you would have spotted this) where A7 can split with J7 and I'm coming up short . Don't think its possible. Probably a flood of replies now proving that I'm still asleep :) Now thats presuming its holdem. I think it was just called in error and either the player with the 7 didn't spot it or was afraid to speak up. Either way its bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

corblimey wrote:
    I'm a little confused about some hands from a game last night. Our dealer wasn't the greatest in deciding who won what pot, so most if the time, a couple of the players would give her a hand.

Your "Dealer"? Was he a drug dealer? Where the **** was this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

careca wrote:
    I'm trying to think of a hand (where the board does not have a st8, flush or full house or quads on it and I'm sure you would have spotted this) where A7 can split with J7 and I'm coming up short .

Don't forget quads would involve the kicker too. So even less to consider. It all sounds more like old boys looking after each other to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement