Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Hand Scenario

Options
  • 08-06-2005 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭

Hope Culchie doesn't mind me posting this one. Hand from Last nights poker.ie tourney. €10 entry and top 3 pay. €50/€30/€20. 4 players left.

Here are the stacks.
    Level V (75/150) - 2005/06/07 - 16:18:49 (ET)
    Seat 1: cianosheehan (1473 in chips)
    Seat 2: rounders123 (4168 in chips)
    Seat 7: NickyOD (3457 in chips)
    Seat 8: Culchie (5902 in chips)

Here is preflop the action:
    cianosheehan: raises 450 to 600
    rounders123: folds
    NickyOD: raises 900 to 1500
    Culchie goes in the TIME BANK

Cian has been playing very aggressive when he gets his chips in first but tends to tighten up when you play back at him. I don't put him on a hand he wants action with here.

Q 1) With what range of hands could I be reraising Cian with?
    Q 2) It's up to Culchie and he has J-J. What should he do?
    Q 3) If I don't know what Culchie has and he puts me all in with what range should I call with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Culchie should fold.
    For question 3 you should use log2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

bohsman wrote:
    For question 3 you should use log2

What's this ?

I have no idea, they were arguing whether you should use log 2 or log 4 in response to a similar question on 2plus2 so Im sure its a vital part of poker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

and why should culchie fold a JJ?

The range of hands that either the raiser or the reraiser has chances are jacks are well beaten, fair enough they could both have AK then JJ is cruising but theres every chance JJ is behind

• Advertisement

NickyOD wrote:
    Hope Culchie doesn't mind me posting this one

Don't mind at all, will be interesting get feedback, of course I made the right decision anyway ... didn't I :o ?

sorry to be dumb, haven't played poker.ie, wots a time bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

The timebank is one of the better features of Stars vs other sites eg Tribeca based software, where after the normal allotted time it gives you a further 60 seconds to ponder your decison. Very handy for doing close calculations in your noggin when deciding on your EV/ +/-14 outer decisions in Omaha games.

aha! I see!
    So Oscar, the fact that there was such a re-reise, chances of someone having higher that JJ is pretty big yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

NickyOD wrote:
    Q 1) With what range of hands could I be reraising Cian with?

TT - AA, AQ - AK
    NickyOD wrote:
    Q 2) It's upto Culchie and he has J-J. What should he do?

Normally JJ is a fold to a raise and a reraise, from time to time it will be the best hand but more often than not your going to be dominated. If Cian is playing really really aggressively then you could make an argument for calling as there is no reason to suspect that he has a real hand and your range is very wide.
    NickyOD wrote:
    Q 3) If I don't know what Culchie has and he puts me all in with what range should I call with?

Half your stack is already in there, as well as some of Cians so I would fold almost no hand because you have a sufficent equity in order to call against any hand range that includes AK with any two cards.

• Advertisement

Its a close one to call, because of his chip lead culchie would still be comfortable if he stuck them both all in and lost

Ciano is not going to fold as hes pot committed having put nearly half his chips in already but Nickys reraise has shown enough strength to be AK at the very least quite possibly qq kk or aa

So how did the hand play out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Culchie wrote:
    Don't mind at all, will be interesting get feedback, of course I made the right decision anyway ... didn't I :o ?

Hi Culchie. Had i have raised more pre-flop would you have laid down that 5 5 re-raise hand?.

lol yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

bohsman wrote:
    Its a close one to call, because of his chip lead culchie would still be comfortable if he stuck them both all in and lost

That's one arguement for a call. The other is that if he gets us both all in Either myself or Cian will go out on the bubble if there isn't a split.

please dont hit me...

the bubble is..?

OK, I folded.

Major factors that made me fold included, the implied strength from Nicky, although I thought I was still marginally ahead..... but mainly Cian was playing very agressive, and he was reasonably isolated as lowstack, and didn't want to bring him into contention with a stack, with mine and Nickys chips included.
    If Nicky hadn't re-raised, I would have put him all in.

As it turned out Cian rivered a J on the river to complete a straight, so he did double up and he went onto win, although I'd feel quite unlucky to have lost on two head to head hands that sealed the game off. Unlucky but not aggrieved, you know the way.

Divers wrote:
    please dont hit me...

the bubble is..?

lol ... bubble is last place before you are in the money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Everyone should have gone all-in, just for the craic.

Culchie wrote:
    lol ... bubble is last place before you are in the money

aha! merci buckets!

Culchie wrote:
    As it turned out Cian rivered a J on the river to complete a straight,

Did you forget you would have hit a boat and busted the 2 of us? Rounders must have been pissed! :D

Without getting bogged down in results-oriented-thinking I'm still not certain if this was a push or fold for Culchie. Cians range was off the charts and it was obvious he had a hand he didn't want action with. Shorthanded JJ is a pretty strong hand. I had been playing looser than usual showing some pretty marginal hands, having said that Hector's range was spot on but given how loose Cian was playing preflop I might have throw AJ/88/99 in there.

PokerStars Game #1851995255: Tournament #8418015, Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2005/06/07 - 16:18:49 (ET)
    Table '8418015 1' Seat #2 is the button
    Seat 1: cianosheehan (1473 in chips)
    Seat 2: rounders123 (4168 in chips)
    Seat 7: NickyOD (3457 in chips)
    Seat 8: Culchie (5902 in chips)
    NickyOD: posts small blind 75
    Culchie: posts big blind 150
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to NickyOD [Qd Ac]
    cianosheehan: raises 450 to 600
    rounders123: folds
    NickyOD: raises 900 to 1500
    Culchie: folds
    cianosheehan: calls 873 and is all-in
    *** FLOP *** [Th 7s 9c]
    Culchie said, "jj"
    *** TURN *** [Th 7s 9c] [9h]
    cianosheehan said, "gg"
    *** RIVER *** [Th 7s 9c 9h] [Jd]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    NickyOD: shows [Qd Ac] (a pair of Nines)
    cianosheehan: shows [Ks Qh] (a straight, Nine to King)
    eirewoodchip [observer] said, "oooooooh"
    cianosheehan collected 3096 from pot
    cianosheehan said, "jaysus"
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 3096 | Rake 0
    Board [Th 7s 9c 9h Jd]
    Seat 1: cianosheehan showed [Ks Qh] and won (3096) with a straight, Nine to King
    Seat 2: rounders123 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: NickyOD (small blind) showed [Qd Ac] and lost with a pair of Nines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

NickyOD wrote:
    I had been playing looser than usual showing some pretty marginal hands
    I thought you were taking a break from poker? ;)

Imposter wrote:
    I thought you were taking a break from poker? ;)

I told you I was still gona play the private tourneys, the HU games and the Connaught cup. :D

Culchie wrote:
    lol yes

Why i aughta!!
    Yeah i was happy enough have 2 overcards when i seen your 5 5 but i didnt really want to call all-in as i'd sooner have a hand calling all-in than a possible good hand all-in. But with my initial raise and your re-raise i was kinda forced to call. I'd say you didnt like it when i called you though as i felt you thought i was just trying to steal blinds with K 10 or something?.

Why i aughta!!
    Yeah i was happy enough have 2 overcards when i seen your 5 5 but i didnt really want to call all-in as i'd sooner have a hand calling all-in than a possible good hand all-in. But with my initial raise and your re-raise i was kinda forced to call. I'd say you didnt like it when i called you though as i felt you thought i was just trying to steal blinds with K 10 or something?.

lol ... you can sing that .... I was amazed you called, I'd been keeping an eye on you and I had you on a steal, and was right enough about that.
    I had only showed Premium Hands, so was hoping I had some sort of Image ....obviously not.

tbh .. It was a strong play on my part to get you to back down, I think I made a bad move in hindsight, and I think you made a bad call tbh as well (no offence)

NickyOD wrote:
    Rounders must have been pissed! :D

Just felt a bit yuk being busted with 5 5. I always feel AJ-AQ-AK should win out against a small pair as it has the moral upper hand!. But it might not have come to that had i raised a bit more pre-flop. I felt Culchie sensed my initial raise was a blind steal with K high or Ax and wanted me to fold but he didnt really want me to call with him holding 5 5 i think. But anyway any small pair is gonna be marginal fav v 2 overcards i guess.
    Did Culchie hold out with the big chip lead from there?. You played well Nicky, i think its the 1st time i played against you. I sensed you are able to easily lay down a reasonable decent hand against a raise. I damaged you a bit though with pocket 10's and a 10 on the flop in that hand though!?. Good job you had much more chips than me at that stage!.

Culchie wrote:
    I was amazed you called, I'd been keeping an eye on you and I had you on a steal, and was right enough about that.I had only showed Premium Hands, so was hoping I had some sort of Image ....obviously not.
    tbh .. It was a strong play on my part to get you to back down, I think I made a bad move in hindsight, and I think you made a bad call tbh as well (no offence)

Everyone who shows premium hands does it so as they can take chances with raises later on. It was a strong play by you but i just knew you wanted me to fold therefore i knew i couldnt have been much of a dog but you held out fair play. An AJ raise 3 handed isnt exactly a steal in my book its a hand that will usually be ahead 3 handed. I enjoyed the game though.
    Hope my 'didnt catch anything on the flop alright' comment didnt p you off when pot was won by JJ guy on a random low flop on that pot you lost?. It was just a jocular comment :) .

lol, t'was funny early on, left me shortstacked for a while, got them back.

Swings and Roundabouts, Swings and Roundabouts

Thats true. That other guy at the bottom of the screen that nearly went out early was another combacker. After making his first comeback i take him for all his chips bar 48 and he comes back again to at one stage have 1,600 or so chips. It was good stuff.

Advertisement