Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mapping Bitmaps

Options
  • 03-01-2001 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Im stumped.
    Can anyone tell me tell me a method of mapping a bitmap onto a complex surface. for example the same way that one would map a bitmap to a quake 3 character. Im sure I'm missing something simple. If there is a good tuturiol site thats available online that could be helpfull. I've got crap loads myself but none explain what Im trying to achieve.
    Clamor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

I'm asuming ur using 3dsMax here.
    Have u tryed using a UVW map modifyer?
    It's not in the default modifyers.
    Click on the more tab, to get the full listing of modifyers.
    U sould add it in to the button listing by clicking the "sets" button.
    Trust me u'l use this modifyer alot.
    theres about 7 or 8 (not sure, been a while and cant check cos can run max anymore) diff types. they each work in the model differntly.
    For example "box" will try to space the map on the object using a square Gizmo, (obviously good for cubic shapes) or "face" will map it on to each polygon,e.g good for mapping low poly landscapes.
    there all fairly diffrent, u can then to alot for fine tuning to it buy changing the size, position, rotation of the gizmo used (in sub object of gizmo) and the scale of the bitmap, tiling ratio ect.

Clan Acid
    Clan Bio
    havok.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

I've also heard theres softwere now that lets u paint directaly on to the model.
    Only seen it in mags tho, not anywhere online yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

There are game model editors around that let you paint a skin directly onto a q3/UT/HL/whatever model, making it easier to see what the finished skin will look like in application (e.g. good auld qME for texturing and animating Q1 models).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭[IAR]Nevermind

i understood 2 words in ur post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I've seen 3ds max plugins on polycount i think, I've yet to try them out. Handy if you're modelling with max, obviously wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Clamor

Cool. Have got the 3ds plugin already and tis working fine. Had some limited success so far with the mapping. I'll just keep hammering away. Cheers.

Advertisement