Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yes, but is it art?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Check out the dictionary.com "definition" of 'art' ... probably the best ones there are:
    The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.

or ... (more simply)
    the products of human creativity; the creation of beautiful or significant things

- then again, as Im sure most of us know, "Art" is not so easily definable as ... "sausage" for example and only ever usually has to be beautiful or significant to one single person to merit the title 'art'

... you decide...

bard2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Oh right, so like, a sausage is art? In the eye of the beholder that is? In that the beauty of a sausage is in the eye of the beholder rather than the sausage itself, in a physical rather that a metaphyscical sense?

Furthermore, if we have an open explanation of the existence of art and therefore the inherant perceived level of the beauty of a sausage doesn't that mean that all that we perceive can be classed as art because the human interaction in the world.
    After all if a man cooking a sausage (regardless of wether he is doing it for what he perceives as art or not) in Navan can cause a hurricane in Japan (cause and effect theory) does that not mean that all existence can be extrapolated as being art?

Therefore art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

I would personaly define "art" as somthing which is man made , which makes u stop and look @ it, or listen to it, or think about it.
    Art is an emotion or an idea translated into a physical form.

Oh right, so like, a sausage is art? In the eye of the beholder that is?
    I never said that. Perhaps there are some truly artistic pictures of sausages out there somewhere - I've no idea. I was saying that the word 'art' itself can't be defined as simply and succinctly as (for example) the word 'sausage'.
    Therefore art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage.
    What a wonderful quote smile.gif
    Art is an emotion or an idea translated into a physical form.
    No it isn't. Art cannot be defined so strictly. (I think that was part of the drive of my first post on this topic)...

Poetry, prose and drama are not "physical forms", yet they are artforms of their own. Computer artwork, of which I have seen many fantastic examples linked from boards.ie alone, is also not a physical form, yet it certainly merits the title of 'art'. ... but there yeh go- to each their own wink.gif

bard2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

In the strictist Dadaist sense, my question originally was "Yes, but is it art?"

I never actually defined what "it" was (let us not delve into the artist values of the word it, just yet) so I merely posted the topic because I like saying it.

But then, if I hadn't, I wouldn't be gently carressing this packet of Galtee.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Advertisement

poetery,drama, cg as u all said are phisical.
    Is in that u can read them, or see them ect.
    What i ment was getting something which does'nt actully exist in the real world i.e and idea that only exsists in ur head, "translated" through what ever form, be it poetry, music, film, ect,ect.
    The result is Art.

Originally posted by havok*:
    poetery,drama, cg as u all said are phisical.

No they're not. The medium through which they are portrayed is physical. Poetry and stories are not physical, the paper and ink are, but they're not the poetry and stories. Drama isn't physical, - the actors, the stage and the paper and ink with which it's written are, but the art form itself is not.

These forms of art (for they are art, but just not physical art) differ from physical art in that the medium itself is not necessary for the art. I have poems in my head, - they are still pieces of art, even though they have no physical presence and exist as only thoughts in my mind. With physical artforms such as sculptures and paintings, the medium is a part of the artform and the art requires the medium to exist... not so with poetry, prose and drama.

Therefore no, art itself is NOT an emotion or an idea translated into a physical form... while some types of art do conform to that definition, overall... art itself, as a concept is far far more than that definition will ever allow...

bard2.gif

All forms of art are spawned by idea's and emotions from their creators. Regardless of form.
    I can understand what ur saying, altho with say a poem, it's not the paper or the ink, but the array of words that are deemed to be "art" thats still physical. well, that probobly is'nd the right word to use. What i mean is that it 'exists' in all the ppl who have read it. It's has gone from being 1 persons vision, to being capaple of effecting others idea's and emotions. the "form" is only the translation.
    but art cant exist without form.
    Thats what i ment by "Art is an emotion or an idea translated into a physical form"

Well what I'm saying is that there is no one perfect definition of art, so I'm not going to argue with you that my definition is right and yours is wrong. Art and beauty alike are in the eye of the beholder and it's up to all to interpret any art, as they see it, in whatever way they like.

bard2.gif

Originally posted by havok*:
    I would personaly define "art".

That was only my personal take on one tbh.

Mabye Art is a Sausage? biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by havok* (edited 21-11-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

quote:

Oh right, so like, a sausage is art? In the eye of the beholder that is?

Well yes i once saw an Exhibition where one of the pieces was two fried eggs placed on a wooden kitchen table if this can be considered art why not a sausage.

P.S. i think the piece was by the same artist who did the bed thing that won the Turner Prize

It's like amp said:
    "art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage"

(I LIKE that quote!!!) winky_smiley.gif

bard2.gif

Advertisement