Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

never ending life!!

• 07-06-2005 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

just curious as if to anyone has any opinions on our "never ending life", as i believe our soul lives on forever. although we return to life on earth in different human form we still have to go through the never ending pain that we have not resolved in our former lives. so we have to keep going until we get it right?? am i the only one out there who feels hard done by to know that my suffering will not end when my life on earth does but will be caried on through my soul and there for wonder "whats it all about"? when will it all end for us ?? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I believe that all life is one and as such 'life' will go on regardless of what happens to your own unique consciousness. I don't particularly believe that your soul or life force remains intact to be reincarnated as something else, I think of it more in terms of pouring a glass of water into the ocean. Can you fill the glass up again from the same ocean? of course you can, but the chances of it being totally same water are basically zero.

Essentially, life will go on and 'you' will be a part of it, but who you are now will not exist again.

-- I also believe in a universal sub-conscious which retains a memory or imprint of all that has gone before, making it possible to invoke spirits or to recall past lives. Some people may be more adept at this than others but strictly speaking I don't consider it 'reincarnation' (in the popular understanding of the word).
    so we have to keep going until we get it right??
    As a unified entity, yea I suppose so (whatever 'right' is) but rest easy, the onus isn't solely on your shoulders. Just have the best life you can manage and try not to pollute the sub-conscious too much (ie. don't be an asshole -- too much piss in the ocean and you're going to get a glass of funny tasting water) for those who come after you :)

Anyone else have thoughts on the matter?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I believe that there is certainly something more to us than our physical bodies, and I don't see why this would cease to exist when our physical body does. I'm not sure what this existence would entail, but given how so much of our conciousness is currently defined by the sense given to us by our physical bodies, I don't think we'll ever truely be able to understand it without fully experiencing it. When people talk about reaching new planes of existence through meditation etc, I think they're coming close to understanding it, or maybe just coming a little bit closer, by disconnecting their sentient minds from their physical bodies.

I'm not sure about reincarnation but I can see it being possible for your energy to choose to come back into a human form if it/you feels it/you have something to gain from it. I think this is in line with most reincarnation thought, i.e. that you choose to come back untill you have achieved everything you want as opposed to being forced back untill you have reached some level. Perhaps if you think that you keep coming back to pain, you're actually choosing to come back to learn the cause of the pain or how to deal with the pain itself ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Goodshape wrote:
    I believe that all life is one and as such 'life' will go on regardless of what happens to your own unique consciousness. I don't particularly believe that your soul or life force remains intact to be reincarnated as something else, I think of it more in terms of pouring a glass of water into the ocean. Can you fill the glass up again from the same ocean? of course you can, but the chances of it being totally same water are basically zero.

Essentially, life will go on and 'you' will be a part of it, but who you are now will not exist again.

-- I also believe in a universal sub-conscious which retains a memory or imprint of all that has gone before, making it possible to invoke spirits or to recall past lives. Some people may be more adept at this than others but strictly speaking I don't consider it 'reincarnation' (in the popular understanding of the word).

As a unified entity, yea I suppose so (whatever 'right' is) but rest easy, the onus isn't solely on your shoulders. Just have the best life you can manage and try not to pollute the sub-conscious too much (ie. don't be an asshole -- too much piss in the ocean and you're going to get a glass of funny tasting water) for those who come after you :)

Anyone else have thoughts on the matter?

One of the best posts I've ever read on boards. What an excellent view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

ditto, great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Well, cheers very much :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement