Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice

Options
  • 16-11-2000 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

K, for any1 thats gone and done art in college. Is it worth it?
    Been trying to decide whether i should keep werking or go to college and get thought it properly.
    my situatin is:
    Right i'm 19, have a fare amout of experiance with graphics proggies, werk as a web designer and graphic designer, have werked as a high/low 3d modeler, animater, texture artist ect.
    Thing is i've never actully been thought art. just kinda picked it up. Only been thought how to use the progrmmes.
    I've been so undecicded about this i thought i should post it, see what ppl think.
    i mean would 4 years @ NCAD really be worth it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Yeah,
    asked some friends, they seem to think college would be better for me too. theres some prob's tho.
    like for 1 i cant draw, is it a requirment?
    i'm not sure if i've a protfilio that would meet the required entey level.
    I have a fairly good "CG" portfolio and all, like on par with ppl in werk who's done art college for 5 or 6 years, and have some nice animations done too, but nothing freehand.
    the other prob would be cash. I refuse to werk in some braindead job for money anymore. esp since the last job's i've had has been as an artist with some respect smile.gif
    i'd need to find some freelance werk to keep me and cash and prolly have to sell the car...
    dunno if its more hassle then its worth.
    Then again, it could be the best decision i ever make.

my head hurts smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

havok,this may or may not be the time to tell you this but there is a topic in the programming section of the boards that might be of interest to you,
    as far as i know some lads are gonna try make a game.i remembered you saying before that you were doing the LUDO course,so i thought you might be interested.

The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

If you are thinking of a fine art course like ncad you will need to draw freehand. That and simular courses dont touch a computer for at least a year. DLCAD graphic design course is the same. And without any drawing skill you wont make it through. I would recommend an art course though, like Freak said, the more exposure to others styles and technics the better. And the girls...
    I think it is worth it, i only lasted a year in fine art in galway and although me and the course didnt get on( well my social life and the course) i learned loads i never would have otherwise. They didnt teach you as such but helped you learn the basics and find your strong points guide your development. Im working as a designer at the moment but i would love to go back to study art.
    As for the money i think you will have to expect to be poor for a long time. Im not sure if i could do that again.
    Why not look into a part time course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

well i'd certainly go do an art course. The more exposure u have to other ideas and ways of working the better for your creativity.

College is full of nice girls too. Specially art colleges.

College is party-on time too.

Work is for the other people.

Advertisement