Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abolish the TV license now!

Options
  • 07-06-2005 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Let's face it - RTE is fukking shyte.

If they can't get by on advertising/cable subscription money, then they
    don't deserve to exist.

Why are we all being forced to pay out for TV/radio stations that
    many people don't watch at all. And the less said about TG4 the better!

Apparantly they are operating at a loss these days. Maybe if they didn't
    pay Gerry Ryan 500,000eur to spend 3 months a year on holiday they
    might actually make a profit!

And I'm sure Pat 'plank' Kenny is overpaid too.

Here is my manifesto:

1) Abolish the TV license
    2) Give Gerry Ryan a 75% pay cut
    3) Sack Prat Kenny
    4) scrap TG4
    5) Whatever else ye fancy.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

This has been discussed to its death and reincarnation many many many times before.
    Do a search and you'll find lots...

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

It's not that bad, they show new 24, Lost, Joey, Scrubs, Naked Camera (well they did)

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭MooShop

other countries dont have TV licensce's, why should we have to pay for a crap service, they do have some good programs but its hardly worth the amount of money a TV licence. the cost is far too much goddamn penny pinching bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

RTE is only legally allowed to earn so much from advertising due to some politics crap in the eighties so they have to get the money from the tv licence. Even with the TV licence fees, RTE isn't making a hell of a lot of money. And TG4 is now it's own company afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Its well know RTE has an insider in the BBC and ITV, look at the listings and its clear, a network premier on BBC is on RTE the week before they are desparate for the ratings. I will admit that RTE has some decent programming but the rest is a waste of space, the "late late show" no one watches it
    "tele Fooking bingo" (not sure does it still air) waste of money
    "prime time" booring
    "home and away" how many kids can you think of believe this is kids TV?
    the news in irish on RTE2, dont get me started! I though this was the reason for TG4
    RTE is now almost totally dependant on foreign programming, no one watches any of their drivvel, "celebrity farm" no use in any other country for resale, "euro star" bunch of tallentless morons singing again no value to anyone outside ireland.

Give it a break and make it worth watching, or reduce the TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

feylya wrote:
    RTE is only legally allowed to earn so much from advertising due to some politics crap in the eighties so they have to get the money from the tv licence. Even with the TV licence fees, RTE isn't making a hell of a lot of money.

I think they should change that law and let RTE operate independently.
    If they can afford to pay Gerry Ryan 500,000 euros a year they probably have
    enough cash IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Completely agree with all that you've said OP, but you might want to rephrase the start of your arguement to put it a bit less bluntly than "Let's face it - RTE is fukking shyte"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Bin Caroline Morahan immediately. Did anyone read this interview with her in the Sunday Times? She was banging on about her 'sound basis in journalism' that she later elaborated as being the Society page in the Herald. Then talked about a 6 week 'Psychology Course' she attended with her sister as if it was some kind of academic qualification.

An enormous, and I mean enormous, waste of space. Give her the boot immediately so she can go back to selling fake tan in Brown Thomas or some other vocation worthy of her talents. Which are a) sneering b) saying "You go girl" and other mid-atlantic drivel

And get rid of that twat Craig Doyle while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i thought there was a TV forum.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement