Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adobe products...

Options
  • 30-10-2000 9:58pm
    Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭

The professional toolset for high-impact, interactive Web sites
    The Adobe® Web Collection provides the tools you need to design and manage world-class Web sites in one cost-effective suite: Adobe Illustrator® 9.0, Adobe Photoshop® 6.0, Adobe GoLive™ 5.0 and Adobe® Livemotion™ 1.0.

Move from creative concepts to dynamic, high-impact interactive Web sites with the industry's most comprehensive and integrated set of professional, next-generation tools. The Adobe Web Collection gives you the tools you need to compete in today’s accelerated playing field – all in one box, at one great price.

Ok...besides photoshop which I know and love..anyone got reccomendations on the others...I need to get photoshop anyway but I'd like to hear some opinions before I shell out £959 + vat for the collection....?

licksy2.jpg
    Don't even think about it...™

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Illustrator is a great app once you get used to it. And seeing as it's pretty much the same interface as Photoshop then you'll be away in a hack.

I don't like GoLive myself, but then I'm not really fond of any HTML WYSIWYG editors. As for Livemotion, I've read some good reviews on it, but if you're not into flashy sites ('scuse the pun) then there's not much point in getting it.

Just my 2cents
    Enygma

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Adobe GoLive is a bad thing ... BAD GoLive, ... BAD! - I cannot, in all seriousness, reccommend it. Then again, I haven't seen version 5 and am talking from having seen what version 4 throws up.

When it comes to WYSIWYG editors for the web, I'd only go with Dreamweaver 3.

bard2.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

lol thanx lads...thats exactly the kind of thing I was looking for when i said I needed to hear opinions...
    Of the collection, go-live is the least interesting to me... what about illustrator versus flash..or are they completly different..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

The drawing tools in illustrator are so far superior to flash(v.4 havnt seen 5 yet). Any sort of complex drawing to be done i usually do in illustrator and bring into flash. Plus illustrator can export flash files.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Stick with Photoshop and leave the rest. I don't do design for my company anymore, but production, and anytime the designer sends me template sets for sites I have to strip them down and rebuild them from scratch. Oh, the webpages look fine, but the HTML is a disgrace - bad formatting, illegal HTML (it puts a FRAME attribute in TABLE tags for gods sake!), just plain pug ugly. And of course there's too much spacing aswell, which adds to load time.

If you *have* to use a WYSIWYG editor, use Composer for most things, followed by Dreamweaver (excellent for tables, but a RAM hog). Composer outputs terrible HTML too, mind, but at least it's free. Just make sure you run the HTML cleanups in Dreamweaver when you're done with Composer. For best results, do the final coding in a plaintext editor.

As to the rest, Photoshop is still one of the best, although I tend towards Paint Shop Pro and Fireworks myself. The rest are a waste of time.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Originally posted by dahamsta:
    Stick with Photoshop and leave the rest. The rest are a waste of time.

Eh?
    No
    u NEED illustrter for web, u NEED image ready (which kicks the living crap outta fireworks btw)
    and paint shop pro? WTF!?

[This message has been edited by havok* (edited 31-10-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

u NEED illustrter for web, u NEED image ready

um?

have u used photoshop 6? why do you need illusrator? imageready comes with photoshop, even if it didnt, you dont *need* it, you can do most things (with the exception of animated gifs) in photoshop anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Havnt used Photoshop 6 yet, im on 5.5. It'll cost a fortune to keep up with all upgrades so i think ill wait for the next upgrade.
    As for Illustrator, i find that i cant do without it and do 80% of my work with it. For any sort of drawing and layout design at all it beats the pants off Photoshop(which is really for image editing). I know version 6 of photoshop has vector support but its still quite basic compared to illustrator.

As me papa used to say...the right tool for the right job.

Advertisement