Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitz Monday game

Options
  • 07-06-2005 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭

Anyone in the mood for a bad beat-ish story this early in the morning? Yes? Ok then...

62 runners last night for the 100+10 game in the Fitz. Was seated at Pokertroll's table at the start of the night, Marq and one or two other boards regulars were on other tables. The, ahem, 'loose agressive' gent with the jumper and curly hair from Thursday night (his name is Paul as well) was also at my starting table. Got stuck in from the start and built a nice stack during the first two levels, these gains I subsequently lost over the following two levels. The other Paul was playing the same game seen on Thursday and knocked two out in the first ten minutes, cracking the bullets with his 7 4 clubs (called a 5xBB pre-flop raise) and rivering a straight to do the other guy. Everyone else was in equal parts glad he was there and afraid of the damage he could do. Last hand for the break I was handed a pair of 10s, re-raised all in (was fairly short stacked), had two callers with an overcard or two but the 10s held up and I tripled up. The players had been dropping like flies before the break, so much so that we were down to less than 30 when play restarted.

The other Paul was back at my table now, massive tank but no signs of tightening up. I had my eye on him doubling me up at some stage, tragically this was not to be. Was getting muck for the next few levels, started to slip into dangerous shortstack territory and made a move or two whenever possible to steal the blinds. The gods of Po-Kar now moved against Paul and he no longer could outdraw the rest of us with impunity! Despite his final table tank, he was out in 15th or so. Once we got down to 12, everyone really tightened up on both tables - more time was spent staring across at the other table's stacks then on play on ours! Taunts were exchanged, with many the mock 'all in!' called by both sides for laughs. I was playing well shortstacked (if I may say so myself) and was rewarded with a seat at the final table when a blind stealer was caught holding K5, which flopped a 5 to cripple the BB holding A8.

Biggest stack at the final table was around 50k, I had 12k with two others with similar sized stacks. Obviously I now had to play to have a chance at making the final three. Within a few hands blinds had risen to 1k / 2k, and I look down at my cards to find the ladies. Happy days. In mid position, don't have many options now with such a small stack. Luckily, Mick with a similar sized stack makes a 3xBB raise UTG. I put him on Ax (x being a picture card). Pushed to isolate. The SB called for half his stack. Uh-oh, could have bullets or cowboys, but something told me that he had Ax too. Mick called all in. Reasonably sure at this point I was ahead and hoped they were blocking each other. Yep, they both flip AK off. Time to treple up and be able to play, was my first thought, but Po-Kar is as cruel hearted as any evil stepmother in the fairytales! Flop came A K J rainbow. 'FFS', I think and almost exclaim. The J gave false hope, at least I have 6 outs, right? Turn is the last Ace to drive the final nail in my coffin. Everyone else has a good laugh at how it all went down. I grab my coat and can't even mutter a convincing 'that's poker' on my way out the door.

Despite that I was happy with my play (though need to be more agressive) and inflicted no bad beats despite being on the receiving end more than once last night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Sounds like a pretty interesting game paul!
    Had a few nice comebacks from short stacks, you played the ladies as well as anyone else would, but got stung with the A on the flop and the river!
    well done though!

dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

was playing an $20 stt the other night... play was down to 3. I was pretty strong chip leader. In the space of 7 hands I was dealt the ladies three times (oh how happy i would normally be). Lost to all ins on each occasion, knocking me out in 3rd. First to A 7 o... when A 7 came out on the flop. Second was to a K 3 s, with a K on the river... and last was to a A K with a K on the turn. Absolute agony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

Nice result Paul.
    That curly haired gentleman was some nutbag alright.
    He got caught bluffing a couple of times but still managed to hit some incredible hands - I thought he had 8 3 of clubs that time- called a very large re-raise by the aces pre-flop only to flop a flush! What amazed me was how he kept such a dead-pan expression when he was scooping huge pots with K4 os and the likes.

I'm starting to think that game doesn't suit me any more - it seems to have gotten incredibly loose the last couple of times I've played which is not really what I am looking for. I know I could adjust my game accordingly but for me, it is all about playing against quality players who can pass the likes of A10 or KQ to a raise before the flop.
    It reminds me of a quote by the blogger Andy Ward re some of the American players in Vegas:

'Most of these nob-ends have as much trouble folding AT pre-flop as they do walking past a Krispy Kreme'

It saddens me but I've got to say I'm seeing better play on the internet these days (MTT $100 entry or better). But at the same time I need to get in as much quality live experience as possible before the WSOP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Having watched last years WSOP Mark, you will probably need experience like this tournie also. There were some very questionable calls and plays on the highlights of the first couple of days, and the big names in particular were getting hammered by outdraws, as lots of players were calling with anything just so they could boast they put a name out of the WSOP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

Waylander wrote:
    Having watched last years WSOP Mark, you will probably need experience like this tournie also. There were some very questionable calls and plays on the highlights of the first couple of days, and the big names in particular were getting hammered by outdraws, as lots of players were calling with anything just so they could boast they put a name out of the WSOP.

Indeed, that is what I'm expecting and I'll be ready for it! But it is not what I expected in the Fitz on a Monday night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The Monday night game may be suffering from the fact that some players have won tickets to it via the freeroll/low entry games. Fact of life and with more people playing, there are likely to be more 'weak' players making funny calls.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

And last night a lot of the regulars who play a tight game (Marie, Harold, etc...) were knocked out well before the final table. Those willing to gamble were in luck last night, for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

yeah well I've got an even better one....

I was first out last night....then went to the cash games....

sitting in the 50 omaha with mostly 100 game players I managed to get to 400 ahead...then moved to the round of each game which looked easier....cept for pat crowe...

then I bust all my profit from the omaha, all my initial buy in (170) all my second buy in (150) but at the end of the night I turned my last 150 buy in into.......470! huzzah! free nights entertainment! (won a ticket to tourney last saturday)....and dinner was paid for in the 'winnings' too :)

then the stupid taxi fare home put me down 8 yo :(

so I get home a little relieved and decide, hrm, nothing to do....I'm gonna play some poker...so I lash on the PC and open up full tilt....check the balance....$510, you beautie.

click on the omaha tab and there's 2 games going on (well 5 if you include tiny stakes....) and .50 / 1 game and a 1/2 game...

so I jump into the 1/2 game with 80 (average for table - less then what I'd buy into the .50 /1 game for though =P)....and stand up 40 mins later with 340 bucks in front of me thinking thank you very muchly :) and now there's a check for $350 in the mail :)

moral of the story? don't bother with taxi's....just play online :)

Nic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Armstrong

I was the guy that the curly jumper fella knocked out first with his 44 on SB. I probably shouldn't have called his all in but i put him on AJ as the board was J75. I had QQ. He called two big bets and the turn & river came 3 6.
    My first tournament in the fitz and i last 2 hands...... Its good to hear now that he also knocked others out the same way...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

You were unfortunate there Armstrong, seems like you played the ladies the way as a lot of people would have, I'd say he was worried for a second until he was saved on the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Don't worry about it Armstrong ... "The Jumper" has caused carnage over the last week it seems everywhere he and his jumper goes.

It's great entertainment being at his table actually, hope he's there tomorrow as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

ionapaul wrote:
    Those willing to gamble were in luck last night, for whatever reason.

Must have been a full moon out on monday night.

Advertisement