Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About last night... (20-in in the Fitz).

Options
  • 06-06-2005 11:23pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Jesus, this game can through you for a spin emotionally.

I'm pretty controlled about my emotions when I'm playing, I'm not immune to the tilts by any stretch but I like to think I can hold it together.
    But last night really threw me around even though it was only the 20-in!

I busted one guy on a fierce outdraw and then got outdrawn myself. I motored my chip stack up from 4k after the break to a solid 15K when I let a guy in cheap for the river when I had tripped up on fourth street (in his defence he also had the nut flush draw) and he filled an inside straight :(
    Back to 7k and I get really annoyed, I mean, REALLY annoyed. With myself, with the cards, with the game with the constant run of ****ty luck I've had and truth be told, bad plays on my part on occasion. So I get shirty and push with 66 and get called. I win the race and get back to close to where I was, I wasnt even particularly sorry (I think it was Samson I knocked out? sorry man if it was), I just wanted to hurt someone and I targetted the guy who had drawn out on me for the straight. What a moronic thing to do but I honestly was not myself. Thankfully before I did something rash and stupid (ok, stupidER) I got a hold on myself and realised that I was back where I had started and so continued to motor up to about 23K. So far the night had ALL the hall marks of every night I've ever won the 20-in. Theres a pattern that emerges and a air of invulnerability that descends. I felt good.

I get a VERY tough second last table with Macker, Oscar and Charles to name a few. Oscar does my dirty work taking out the guy who outdrew me earlier, in a hand that I couldnt take my eyes off (like a car wreck). I knew what Oscar had before the cards hit the felt. (remember that KT Oscar?)

Macker has been a bit pushy on my blinds and theres some banter between us. I tell him I'm going to knock him out of the tourney! I get the Aces and with 3 limpers before me and the blinds still to act I push 20,500 forward on the button. SB has woken up with JJ and very wisely passes (having agonised over it for ages)! I picked up 5K. In fact all night I got big pairs with noone calling depsite trying everything from double the blinds raising to all in!

I get into a hand with Macker, I raise to 5K on a 1K blind with A8s when we are down to 5 on the second last tables. Macker looks at his cards and says "ohhh, thats a big un" when he looks at the first card. Then he calls my 5K. the flop is A67 he checks I bet 5k and he puts me all in for 14K more. I have a serious problem now. I put macker on Ax. I'm pretty sure of it in fact from a variety of things, including his speechplay. The problem isnt the Ace, if he had AT or higher I'd already know about it. The problem is the 6 and 7 on the flop. the scare of 2-pair is very high here, especially with the check raise. However I am looking at the blinds going to 1/2k very soon and I have a gut feeling that macker has A-small. I push in my chips only to hear "player gone" from the other table and have a sick feeling that I've missed a shot at the final table. Macker has A4 and I double up.

Finally, having been winged at the final table by Oscar I get AA in the BB.... as tradition during the night dictates, everyone folds to me except the SB who completes (its 1.5k/3k). I put 8k move into the centre and he grudgingly complies, the guy has just been pushed off a big hand and I think he's still steaming a bit. The flop is 974 rainbow, he bets a little and I put him all in which he calls, with trips 4.

I win 100 euros instead of a nice Vegas tank. I was so gutted I wanted to **** the cash away (in fact I did, briefly, outside before I came to my senses). I worked so ****in hard to just be a driveby victim of a jammy card. It just felt so ****in' unfair. I couldnt fault my play of Aces (I'm curious if anyone would object to the way I played them) but I was still walking out the door...

Sometimes, this game sucks ass. :(

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Ardent

DeVore wrote:
    Finally, having been winged at the final table by Oscar I get AA in the BB.... as tradition during the night dictates, everyone folds to me except the SB who completes (its 1.5k/3k). I put 8k move into the centre and he grudgingly complies, the guy has just been pushed off a big hand and I think he's still steaming a bit. The flop is 974 rainbow, he bets a little and I put him all in which he calls, with trips 4.

Ok, so you put him all in. How much was that? How much did you have left after you lost to the 4s? Be interested in how much you staked on AA post-flop with the flop being far from ideal.

Me, I've been burned by AA quite a few times now. Now I treat them just like any pair, with extreme caution. I won't go all in unless I have AAA. (Edit: I suppose every situation is different so that's not really true).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Ardent wrote:
    Ok, so you put him all in. How much was that? How much did you have left after you lost to the 4s? Be interested in how much you staked on AA post-flop with the flop being far from ideal.

Me, I've been burned by AA quite a few times now. Now I treat them just like any pair, with extreme caution. I won't go all in unless I have AAA. (Edit: I suppose every situation is different so that's not really true).
    I think it is important to acknowlege that your aces can and will get beaten, including by the people who think any raise is worth calling because their hole cards are suited, but equally not to allow this to interfere with your previously successful play when holding the bullets. After your JJ gets beaten for the fourth time in a row, it is hard to resist the urge to just push all in the next time you get them to make sure no-one with Ax calls*, but I think you gotta resist it. Likewise with AA, I want one or two to call my initial raise, even though they might a hand on the flop.

*You know that sinking feeling you get when you are holding a nice big pair (hmm... :)), raise pre-flop, get a caller or two and see an ace on the flop? Ugh, a couple of those a night and you will be sick for a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

heh, this sounds all too familiar, I am actualy scared to enter any tournies atm.

The outdraws the pain the beats ARGGHHHHH.

WSOP Qualifier:

Down to 20 people top 3 get a ticket.

I am chip leader(the beat has hazed the details out of my mind, can't remember chip stacks, blinds, but I do remember smashing my cup against the wall)

So I am on the BB and blinds are pretty massive at this point. there is the second chip leader at my table who is just below my chip count.

I look down and see AQs (i know, just hear me out) with three limpers before me, o.k time to pick up the blinds, so I raise for a 1/4 of my stack.

I get TWO callers, Flop comes 2 4 Q Rainbow, I push and get one caller who shows me KJs KING ****** JACK SUITED.

I did not show any bluffs only showed good solid cards

Turn 9, river 10.

THIS MUPPET WON A TICKET he took third when he cracked KK with ducks.

I am still fuming over this one.

Leading up to this there has been a string of horrible runner runner beats that have taken me out of tournies in good chip positions.... AA... it's auto-fold from now on....

It can be a frustrating game at times, I am especially peeved at this one considering what was at stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

I sympathise with you all.

After busting to a runner runner gutshot straight in my last attempt at qualifying for the WSOP I entered another on Sunday and managed to get KK busted by 99. So far in my last 5 WSOP qualifiers I have lost the following hands:

AA vs A5s Flushed it (all cards on board came his suit)
    AA vs AK two kings on flop
    AA vs A2s Flushed it (all cards on board came his suit again!!!)
    QQ vs A10 Flop is Q10x turn J river K - money went in after flop he was caller I only pushed as there was a flush draw which he had none of BTW
    KK vs 99 All in preflop - he was the caller

Plus in omaha cash game on Sunday I get all in on with top set on a flop with no straight of flush draws and find myself up against bottom set who rivers Quads!!!

I desperately want to play the event now as I have seen so many monkeys qualify however I think after bubbling on my first try I am destined to have to settle for just being there and witnessing the biggest tournament in history (until next year when 6 billion qualify!)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

DeVore wrote:
    I win 100 euros instead of a nice Vegas tank. I was so gutted I wanted to **** the cash away (in fact I did, briefly, outside before I came to my senses). I worked so ****in hard to just be a driveby victim of a jammy card. It just felt so ****in' unfair. I couldnt fault my play of Aces (I'm curious if anyone would object to the way I played them) but I was still walking out the door...

but damn....I've tried throwing cash about before but it always goes floppy and the wind catches it....you gotta teach me your technique cause that cash made it all the way to the wall IIRC....

Nic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

You played the aces correctly.
    974 is as good a flop as your going to get with aces other than flopping one, not even going to go into the terrible play from seat one to keep charlesin the game and the 3outer I then lost to togo out in 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 QuentinHapsburg

I often have trouble playing the aces. I found the following article very useful!

http://www.paddypowerpoker.com/ps_commonlyaa.php

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

:D.....dont mind that Tom Murphy bloke he is as mad as a brush.

Advertisement