Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker in Limerick. I've had it with this town!!!

Options
  • 06-06-2005 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭

Enough is enough!

I decided (even though I said I wouldn't, but I had nothing better to do) to head back to the aces high poker tourney in Nevada Smyth's bar for the 3rd week. What a pathetic ****ing disgrace. Its bad enough when the structure eliminates most of your edge over the idiots but when they decide to come up with their own rules then that just takes the ****ing biscuit. I'm not even gona go into the details. I've had it with the Limerick poker scene and if no one is going to to stand up and try and to do something about it (because no one here knows how to play the ****ing game) then I will do my best to make some changes with what limited resources I have. I refuse to allow the current tournaments available in Limerick to continue to be all that is on offer.

I would like all Limerick poker players who read the forum to get in touch with me with the view to forming a club.

I had great intentions of starting my own tourney but I neither have the time nor the resouces to run one. The owner of the venue I was interested in wanted to be too involved in matters that shouldn't concern him. I want this to happen on Sunday evenings so that we don't have have a crap blind structure. The idea is to form a club that runs tournaments solely for its members with any reg fees going back into the club for equipments.

Send me a PM on this forum with your email address and I will add you to a mailing list. I already have several names. I will arrange a meeting in a few weeks where we can get the ball rolling.

Regards

Nicky O'Donnell

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

good luck Nicky....I got pissed of with the pub games in Dublin a long time ago.There are some clowns out there running tournaments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

NickyOD wrote:
    I'm not even gona go into the details.

Ah go on, it sounds like it could be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

NickyOD wrote:
    I'm not even gona go into the details.
    Nicky
    I'd really like to hear why the tournament was so bad, but I don't want to you break your PC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

lafortezza wrote:
    I'd really like to hear why the tournament was so bad, but I don't want to you break your PC...

The rule that was broken wasn't so bad. (One player bet 700 and another said nothing and threw in a 1000 when he still had more chips) Tourney director said this was a raise and that he can raise whatever he wants, so he could have raised to 725 if he wanted and someone else could then reraise to 750 or whatever!!! WTF? How can anyone who has played the game even brieflty not know that the raise amount must be at least as much as the previous bet.

It was more the way in which I was scoffed at by both the tourney director and everyone at my table (including one player who also runs his own tournaments). "Oi nevur hurd o 'dat rule, Dat's draw poker ur tinkin' of" The tournament director then tried to tell me there a 3 different sets of rules for no limit holdem. "What? HELLO! Who the **** are you talking to?"

I left him my e-mail address and If I hear him I'm gona direct to the forum's charter, not that it will make the slightest bit of ****ing difference. I could write a book "999 things NOT to do when running a poker tournament" about the things are wrong with these tournies.

No 1: Don't attempt to run a poker tournament until who have played a professionally run poker tournament yourself!

No47: Do not allow players to select their OWN TABLES!

No103: Do not attampt to split a 45 player tournament into table sof 6!

No. 507:
    Do not play down to 2 tables of 4 to make up a final table and allow the table that plays down to 4 first to sit out the of the game for over half an hour while the other table finishes.

No. 999: DO NOT PATRONISE THE ONE PLAYER IN YOUR TOURNAMENT WHO KNOW'S WHAT HE'S ****ING DOING!!!!

I could go on and on and on and on........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I sense a touch of frustration. Does anyone else pick up on that?

• Advertisement

Culchie wrote:
    I sense a touch of frustration. Does anyone else pick up on that?

Frustration with poker only. Only poker!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Did you win?

bohsman wrote:
    Did you win?

lol. I won the first one. Got continuously butt raped in the last 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

NickyOD wrote:
    lol. I won the first one. Got continuously butt raped in the last 2.
    And you keep going back for more. :p

Imposter wrote:
    And you keep going back for more. :p

Yeah I deserved it for going back. But this is what I'm reduced to, such is the sad state of affairs in this town. Sad Sad Sad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Sorry to hear your trouble but at least there's one saving grace

YOU DIDN'T GET MUGGED ON THE WAY OUT! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

Nicky,
    while I know it is a bit of a haul you should think of going to the kildare tourney this friday night, a crew of us are going up. well run, no f around, noel knows his stuff.
    if onluy he wouldn't give me pocked kings heads up only to give tyhe other lad pocket aces.
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Have the same problem in Mayo. The only local games are played by enthusiastic gamblers who will play any two cards - and don't know the rules. Even the games in Galway, well run though they are, you have a minefield of novice players who will declare with glee "Lets gamble". Most of the tourney's are rebuys where you can rebuy chips for less than the original buy in. It's woeful.

jem wrote:
    Nicky,
    while I know it is a bit of a haul you should think of going to the kildare tourney this friday night, a crew of us are going up. well run, no f around, noel knows his stuff.
    if onluy he wouldn't give me pocked kings heads up only to give tyhe other lad pocket aces.
    j

Thanks Jem, but something needs to be done in Limerick. No one here has a ****ing clue and I want to do something about it. Aside from Anthony Keane I dont know anyone from Limerick who plays at the Macau/The Fitz, on the IPT (I know they exist, but none of them seem to have had a breakthrough) or play any of the major Irish tournies. It's a sorry state of affairs when someone as inexperienced as me seems to be the best known player in Limerick. Anyone here know any poker players of note from Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

Nicky if you did organise a tourney I would try to get our crowd down to play 7 of us play every 2 weeks.Cant promise a full turnout but depending on the night would hope a good few would come.

jem wrote:
    Nicky if you did organise a tourney I would try to get our crowd down to play 7 of us play every 2 weeks.Cant promise a full turnout but depending on the night would hope a good few would come.

Thanks James, but this is a new venture for me so I'm starting off small. If we grow to be able to start running tournaments people will travel to that would go far beyond my current goals. For now I really just want to offer a better alternative to people in Limerick who are sick of the BS tournies currently being run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I'd be well up for this if I wasn't working in DUblin for the next 9 months. But after that you can count me in. On another note, UL are starting a Poker Society next semester afaik, although I doubt the standard will be too good as the majority of poker players in UL play, play money poker online all day and think they're the business.

Advertisement