Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan's TV Hitlist

Options
  • 06-06-2005 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Honestly every time I see this it just annoys me. I'm all for parading great clips of well loved shows out every so often but this is done in such an bad way. Was it a top 20 of kids tv shows? a top 20 moments of kids tv? or top 20 personalities? It seemed to be the most random mix of all three. Number 2 started off celebrating the fizzyquiz, yet then went on to show clips from any show presented by a zany presenter, yet that was already done earlier in the show. It's not that hard to sit down and work out for a format for a show like that, I mean top 20 kids shows would have been great and they could have let people discuss them indept instead of putting Dustin and the Den in two different slots, or having two about bosco, one for the magic door... :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

it was great seeing old snippets of bosco again and bosco himself of course. pat's chat and forty coats were well trippy shows. no sign of padjo in the whole countdown though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=263026

This wasn't bad;
    some unnecessary stuff but it did have Dilin O Deamhas, Pat's Chat, Fortycoats and some deadly Bosco clips.

The Wanderly Wagon stuff was practically the same footage they had on the Eugene Lambert doc last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

It reminded me of some vague memory of Marion from Bosco being a fox.

And why was Dustin's voice in the beginning completely different to what it sounds like now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

OFDM wrote:
    And why was Dustin's voice in the beginning completely different to what it sounds like now?

Yeah it has changed over the years, but who knows why. Remember how Homers voice has changed. Only saw a bit of the show. Saw the part with the Billy Barry kids. Couldint stop laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

I agree Wheels about the format - they essentially make it up as they go along for all of these Hitlist progs. The 'countdown' is decided by Mr Producer and Gerry Ryan rather than the public because they couldn't be arsed to carry out a public vote - and even then some of the selections aren't even programmes, just amalgamations of left over clips they couldn't find to fit any one item.
    This happens on every single show, and on the odd occasion, even for Number 1!
    I it is your first time watching this programme, and they finally get to number one after an hour of watching, only to show you an amalgamation of clips you'd be flippin raging!

And the impression is given throughout that it is in fact some sort of public vote - yes okay Gerry does say 'this is my favourite' and 'I remember this from the 70s' etc, but much of that can just be construed as chat, not that the programme is actually his own choice!

And this edition was appallingly edited - so slow, clunky and unfunny.
    As is the case with many of these Gerry shows, they repeat some clips as many as three times - once at the start for the amalgamation, during the actual clip itself such as Number 8 or soemething, and again at the end in the 'summary'. This is appalling - you should never have to see a clip more than once.

And the Bosco one was the worst of all - out of 400 editions of the programme they managed to pluck a few clips out of what - three?!
    No Tongue Twisters, not Spuds, no decent funny sections, no overview of the show - the Bosco 'interview' lent it no objectivity - and overall I gained little to no insight or even decent memories of the programme.
    And where were all the presenters other than Frank? What about the make-and do section? What about the Magic Door?
    What about comment on how special it was when we got to see Bosco inside his box?!

All we saw was a couple of presenters jumping around, over and over and over again. You can just see the off-line editor: "ooh here's another jumping clip, quick log that - the more often we put them on the funner it'll be" :rolleyes:

As usual, it is a bad RTÉ rip-off of a comparitively successful UK format.
    Very very poor :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Eve e

Ahhh Wanderly Wagon and Forty Coats,happy days :)
    Some (unintentionally) funny clips, (the Billy Barry kids were even more disturbing than I remembered)agree the OP,the countdown was all over the place Bosco No.1 ahead of Zig and Zag,they may aswell have given it to Jo-Maxi :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

RTE wrote:
    And where were all the presenters other than Frank? What about the make-and do section? What about the Magic Door?
    What about comment on how special it was when we got to see Bosco inside his box?!

All we saw was a couple of presenters jumping around, over and over and over again. You can just see the off-line editor: "ooh here's another jumping clip, quick log that - the more often we put them on the funner it'll be" :rolleyes:

As usual, it is a bad RTÉ rip-off of a comparitively successful UK format.
    Very very poor :(

The magic door was a seperate entry and the tounge twisters were included in 20 or 19 when they talked about claymation. That's what I mean, total cop out. When it showed Bosco in the box I expected them to talk about how great it was when we saw him in his box. Or what about the rumours surrounding the show? Could they not have got some of the presenters just to say "oh god how awful did I look"?

I'd really love to know how it was pitched. "So yeah, couple of clips, me in a toy shop being all smug and your one from six talking about bosco. Its gonna be another ryan winner lads!" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Missed the show but from my recollections Is it just me or did Zig and Bob Geldof have a certain similarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭De Mad Yoke

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Eve e

Seeing Bosco in his box again was a bit of a disappointment, I saw a chest of drawers made out of matchboxes. Shoddy,shoddy workmanship. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ms Beanbag

I totally agree with wheels and RTE.
    Another thing that annoyed me was that bimbo formerly from the band six. I know shes presenting the kids Sat morn show on 2, but come on, was it really necessary to see her commenting after nearly every clip?!! Pathetic.
    And that old middle aged producer who was commenting nearly as much as her, was such an old fart, he was just giving out about all the shows. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I have to agree, it was a great idea but executed fairly badly.

What was the deal with number 2, was it just a generic zany mad cap kids tv section, rather than an actual show?

And the Den has probably usurped Bosco as the number one Irish kids tv show anyway.

Also, how cheap was it to, have all the music bands footage with no sound, some of it looked awful and well worth a listen, especially that time malarkey, with the gloves.

Plus Gerry Ryan, we dont need to see this gimp on our tv shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Plus Gerry Ryan, we dont need to see this gimp on our tv shows.

I can't watch this ugly muppet, he turns my stomach - all you can see is his big double chin......

He's become very grey rather suddenly too...

Agreed about the talking heads contributors too - bland, boring, slow and uninteresting, though Bill Wheelan was rather funny on the odd occasion.
    Your one from the Afternoon Show and The Health Squad proved particularly irritating which surprised me as I usually like her.

The section with the Toy Show was as predicable and boring as one could imagine too - 'oh I remember everything never used to work', 'weren't Gay's jumpers great' blah blah blah, the same stuff that has been gone over 50 million times about the Toy Show on all other similar programmes.
    And why was it spoken of throughout in the past tense, as if it's not on anymore - just cause the contributors watched it when they were young doesn't mean it's dead and buried!

And again here they used the same clip of Pat Kenny, and another of the same kids in the space of two minutes! Unbelieveably lazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

While Bosco was welcomed back warmly, I was dismayed at the lack of any sight of Padjo...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

Just to agree with the general sentiments on here. How RTE made such a terrible program from material that nobody could help but like. The Den is a vastly bigger phenomenon than Bosco ever was...its amazing that there were toys made of him in Strokestown, that he had a record. How many have Zig Zag and DUstin between them. Anyway, where was Daithi Lacha.

A follow up on the Bosco presenters would have been OK? I was young, I needed the money. And Ryan was the biggest muppet on the program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I agree there was a lot of 'scraping the bottom of the barrel' in order reach 20 segments but I didn't cos it was interesting to see the footage all the same. Hated Bosco (and still do) but I have to admit the show had a very nifty (almost melancholy ironically) theme tune.

I taped the show so I was able to just ff thru the gerry ryan bits. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Zig and Zag should have been No. 1.

Honestly I don't get Gerry Ryan Hitlist they are not really lists. As disscussed above.

I'd have to disagree about Bosco though - think he was more than worthy of the number one spot.
    Zig and Zag may instantly come to mind as being great etc because as discussed in the prog they crossed the line between children and adult humour - everyone always has fond memories of ridiculous adolescent humour like that :)

But Bosco shines as the best and seemingly longest running exclusively children's programme. It was an excellent format, engaging (just for children of course ;)), varied and informative.
    Not to mention having an iconic character, essential for children's programming.
    It's certainly my number one programme kids prog :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

gerry ryans a fat sh!thead with sh!t for brains and fat arse. In case you havent realised i dont like him very much

• Advertisement

RTE wrote:
    I'd have to disagree about Bosco though - think he was more than worthy of the number one spot.
    Zig and Zag may instantly come to mind as being great etc because as discussed in the prog they crossed the line between children and adult humour - everyone always has fond memories of ridiculous adolescent humour like that :)

But Bosco shines as the best and seemingly longest running exclusively children's programme. It was an excellent format, engaging (just for children of course ;)), varied and informative.
    Not to mention having an iconic character, essential for children's programming.
    It's certainly my number one programme kids prog :)

I have to dissagree with you there

the den is the longest running Irish TV show and Zig and Zag are the only comedy things that RTE got right, other then Apres Match. Neither are given any credit on RTE.

Its like giving The Simpson's the number one spot in Childrens TV when really they aren't kids TV. Zig and Zag deserve the Top spot or at least No 2.

Well certainly agreed that they ought to be in second place - they're deserving of a spot alongside Bosco, even if a step lower down the list ;)
    I was disappointed they didn't expand on their Christmas Specials either, other than showing that hackneyed outtake clip of them all in Lapland - how many times has that been shown? :rolleyes:

But the specials such as the one with Podge in his youth :) acting as a burglar were hilarious.

I have to say I never like the Special that much. I prefer when they where live and ad libbing they are better at that.

They didn't get Number 2. But as said before with Gerry Ryan's Hit List's you don't really know what they where counting down.

I think its just a reason to give him a show and to have a countdown. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Elmo wrote:
    Zig and Zag should have been No. 1.

Honestly I don't get Gerry Ryan Hitlist they are not really lists. As disscussed above.

Give Ryan a break - He needs a hit.

The Hit list programmes are stale.

Sesamee Street was far better than Bosco.

The court, Bird, Oscer and the Cookie Monster.

All credit to Zig and Zag,

Cork, whats with you and Sesame St.?

It wasn't going to be on it as it isn't Irish.

Elmo wrote:

I think its just a reason to give him a show and to have a countdown. :rolleyes:

I think there's more truth in that than you think...

Advertisement