Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluval 3 plus filter

Options
  • 06-06-2005 7:37pm
    Site Banned Posts: 313 ✭✭

How often should this be cleaned and how ? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I do water changes around every 2 weeks, saying that my stocking density is quite low for a 180 litre tank.
    when I change my 20% or so I take the filter elements out and give 1 out of the 4 pieces of foam a good rinse under the tap.
    I have not found this to be problematic for the filter bacteria (Nitrosomonas) as the other 3 foam pieces quickly recolonise the piece that was cleaned.
    Some advice holds that you should only ever squeeze the foam out in water from the tank but TBH this is not an efficient way to clean a filter.If your foam comprises one big piece maybe cut it in two and just rinse one piece at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You should clean the filters when they clogged as each time they are cleaned you lose some bacteria.

You should ALWAYS rinse the filter sponges with aquarium water. If they are cleaned with tap water the chlorine will kill the bacteria colonies that make the filter work properly.

If you have two filters dont clean them at the same time, Clean them intermittently.

The Fluval range are very good filters so you shouldnt have any problems with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

Nitrobacter that inhabit a filter, like to finish the job of demolishing rotting material. Only clean your filter when it is blocking the flow, and then only rinse in aquarium or treated water. It has to be stated that the biggist problem is Cleaning too much, when you have to recycle your filter. Good fishkeepers should understand the natural process & enhance it.
    Regards

Advertisement