Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL + Blueface.....experiences

Options
  • 06-06-2005 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

im about to ditch my phoneline and get NTL broadband + blueface.

Just wondering if anybody has experiences they wish to share about this journey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Hi Souper

I'm on NTL (BB-Max) since a while and use BlueFace (PayAsYoGo) regularly calling home in the SEA. :D Have no issues with blueface and NTL, probably just sux mic/headset and X-Lite software. Can't complaint. I advise you to go hardware rather than software. Well, if budget permits I'm gonna get either Sipura or Grandstream adaptor.

Also I found this on ebay from a UK seller, a Grandstream Handytone 486 phone adaptor for £38 plus £7 shipping, he is willing to deliver it to Ireland. More or less for £45 or €67 ( 1 EUR = 0.674888 GBP ). Cheap enough ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6403198250

Emailed him and he confirmed this is brand new and not locked to any provider. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

the more I look, the more it seems to be the way to go.

Cupla ceist.....

1. how much bandwidth generally does this service use? I have QOS on the server so ill probably utilise it.

2. With that ATA you linked on ebay, is it possible to have both VOIP phones and standard mixed in?

3. Is a static IP needed and is it possible to have multiple VOIP accounts from one internet IP?

4. Is it secure? How easy is it to sniff packets and listen to phonecalls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

Cupla ceist.....

1. how much bandwidth generally does this service use? I have QOS on the server so ill probably utilise it.

2. With that ATA you linked on ebay, is it possible to have both VOIP phones and standard mixed in?

3. Is a static IP needed and is it possible to have multiple VOIP accounts from one internet IP?

no static ip not required and your ip addy has nothing to do with your account details.

zap wrote:
    no static ip not required and your ip addy has nothing to do with your account details.

alright, so basically the ATA "logs on" to your VOIP provider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I have NTL max and the sipura 2100 and Blueface freedom basic. I have a DECT phone plugged into the Sipura. The Sipura also works as a router. Buy a cheap switch too and if you decide to use an IP phone also you can just plug it in to a switch.

The change to Blueface is definitely worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

If you get a Grandstream HandyTone 488 there are connections for Analog phone and VoIP. I got one last week but havn't been able to test it out yet as my PSTN is at one end of the house and the broadband is at the other. I got one from TheVoIPConnection.com delivered for about €80.

yea, already have GB ethernet & a wireless AP so I would like I plan to use:

DECT, VOIP Phone and also, id like to try a VOIP client on the PDA.
    Its got WiFi, so it would be nice to be able to use it as a phone within the LAN.

*counts money savings*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Cupla ceist.....

4. Is it secure? How easy is it to sniff packets and listen to phonecalls?
    Have a peek at What is your VoIP setup?

To answer your questions:
    1) About 35kbps (that's using DUMeter and the echo test)
    2) No, the ATA is basically for IP to POTS conversion. Your IP phone can plug straight into your gateway/router. The 486 does allow for PSTN fall through in the event your VoIP connection fails (assuming you have a PSTN account - which you won't when you ditch it)
    3) No need for a static IP. Yes multiple accounts are no problem from the one IP - some ATAs (like the 486) only allow for one account; other like the Sipura 3100 allow for two accounts. Basically you get the address of a SIP server and a username and password - and just log on.
    4) Security is a potential issue.

hth,
    causal

Bril!

Thanks for all the info, ill be putting the wheels in motion today to get this up and running ;)

This particular board is the best thing since sliced bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

I just got my ATA from Blueface today, plugged it in, unplugged it, plugged it in the right way around and within five minutes I was making calls. Quality as good as Eircom even with a few torrents running in the background (NTL BB max). As soon as my number is ported Eircom will be getting two of my biggest fingers!

Slightly OT: I dunno is it just a coincidence or is it because the number porting has been applied for but less than a week after I gave Blueface the form I had a letter from Eircom letting me know how much they were discounting calls on my price plan. LOL

• Advertisement

Nice one, congrat's :)
    LOL, eircom can't discount their prices enough. For example:

I made a 54 minute call to Singapore the other day:
    According to the eircom call calculator that would have cost me €46.31
    From my online call history with blueface I see it only cost me - €0.63 :cool:

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Just be careful re: the broadband connection. Wait and see how reliable it is. I'm currently experiencing intermittent problems with the connection. I'm on the 2MB connection and I've just had to go up and reset the NTL modem again after rebooting my Sipura and my Belkin thereby deducing that the problem wasn't with them. I've had no problems until the recent NTL upgrade so it might be something to do with them. I previously had 1.5MB and things were ok but I don't think I'm good for 2MB so I'll just downgrade and see what happens.

As for Blueface itself, no bodder whatsoever.

It seems NTL are still having network problems since the upgrade (as per this thread).
    Hopefully things will settle down, but it's always best to keep your mobile handy just in case :(

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

My NTL BB has been good lately (Christchurch) but it only started being bold around the time of the upgrade. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

turns out fecking NTL BB isnt available in my area (D22). Someone had remarked to me that they had full Dublin coverage. I guess they were wrong. Also not to mention the fact that the guy on the phone from NTL was about as useful as a chocolate teacup in Jamaica!

Anyway, ive been on Esat BB for over a year now, will probably go transfer my line from eircom to them and toy around with blueface on the PDA for a while ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anyway, ive been on Esat BB for over a year now, will probably go transfer my line from eircom to them and toy around with blueface on the PDA for a while ;)

Is it a standard residental package or a Esat Business BB package?

its the broadband plus package. IIRC residential.

Any benefit for me with a business package?

Any benefit for me with a business package?
    iirc with business you can get your line as data only and not pay line rental. Can anyone else confirm this...

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I don't know what their criteria is (maybe none) but you can get your line provisioned for data only and avail of a reduced line rental. I think this is only possible on a certain number of exchanges.

If you read here you'll find that BT Ireland are going to be offering some kind of VoIP product some time this year so you might hold out until then.

iirc with business you can get your line as data only and not pay line rental. Can anyone else confirm this...

now that would be mega sweet.

Another question.....

is it possible to have multiple, simultaneous phone calls at the same time provided you have the bandwidth?

If not from blueface, then how would one go about implemneting such a system? I have a client who is interested in giving VOIP a whirl.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

causal wrote:

causal

Found it, but the order form for Business BB explains it all,
    esatunbundle4pa.th.png
    Proof you can unbundled your line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

I registered for the blueface trial and they give you 1Euro Credit in their email they say this equates to just less than 30mins local calls in Dublin this is 3.33c per min is this not very expensive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

... but you can buy the unlimited uk & ireland calls to landlines for 14.99 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

30mins local calls for nothing isn't too bad! :-)
    mylesm wrote:
    I registered for the blueface trial and they give you 1Euro Credit in their email they say this equates to just less than 30mins local calls in Dublin this is 3.33c per min is this not very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Using blueface with a Voip voice cyberphone K handset and Xten softphone... want to upgrade to an ATA as soon as possible but their service's excellent. I can't fault it.

It even provides your callers with proper hold music when you answer call waiting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I've recently ditched Eircom and am using NTL (3Mb down 300 kbps up) with www.freespeech.ie and it is bang on. Have a router with phone port built in. Only issue is NTL's advertised down rates. I am not getting anything like 3Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

I'm using NTL broadband 1mb with blueface Freedom Basic package and Linksys wireless router with 2 ATA phone ports. Quality is excellent. It's a beautiful solution, very happy with it!

FYI, I've noticed that while on a call using blueface (using the X-lite softphone) DUMeter gives me a continuous upload and download of 80kbps.

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

i use ntl 3mb with blueface ... i have a dect siemens fone connected to a linksys ata router and im very happy with it. You wouldnt know the difference between eircom and voip!!

Advertisement