Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas Adams

Options
  • 05-06-2005 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

The Hitchhikers' series is a contemporary classic and the author should, in my opinion, be recognised as the genius he is.

Douglas Adams - Lengend of Boards? 38 votes

Yes
    0%
    Yes (just kidding - No!)
    100%
    OSiriSampzenithBlitzKriegFarlsGoodshapeSarumanMrJoeSoapscojonesTyrrialThe_ConductorMystic FibrosisCrucifixPaddyFaganOfflerCrocGodpenguinblokeZaphWaltons_blank_Flashling 38 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

I vote no not because i do not rate his works. Hitchhikers is a great great book but because the term 'legend' is stretching it a little.

Other than the HH trilogy in four parts what else is there? No, seriously i have no idea what else he has done so if someone can prove me wrong... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Yes (just kidding - No!)
    There are actually five in the series.
    1. The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy
    2. The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
    3. Life, the Universe and Everything
    4. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
    5. Mostly Harmless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Clearly a man who can make the number 42 almost sexy has to considered a legend. That and the fact he appeals to geeks ie more than 42% of the boards population.:)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Steveire

He wrote two books centered around a 'Holistic Detective' called Dirk Gently. Well worth reading if you liked HH2G.
    • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
    • The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul

He also wrote other books, but i haven't read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes (just kidding - No!)
    The salmon of doubt.. wife is reading it.. loves it.. its mostly short stories and writings published after he died i think. I will read it when she is done.

Also The Starship Titanic.

Oh everyone is forgetting the books are not all he did... that came AFTER the Radio series and he would have been involved in the TV show and as much of the movie as he was alive for.
    Also legends tend to be dead so he fits that mark there..

Oh look here: http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

Yes (just kidding - No!)
    Loved the orignal film but was far from impressed by the new one, not read the books alas no time why did they screw up the new film WHYYYYYY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Ok so there are other things that he gave the world and i am ignorant. But still... he is no legend of mine!

:)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yes (just kidding - No!)
    Without Douglas Adams I'd have no name here, so yes, the man is a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Yes (just kidding - No!)
    a genius the world is worse off without him (look at the movie and see!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Yes (just kidding - No!)
    Eh Genius.
    His books had me in tears.
    Lets not forget now, The Meaning of Liff.
    That classic dictionary with words for all the things that have meaning but have yet
    to get words(Or something).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i read the books for the first time recently, and i absolutley adored them.. i was laughing out loud so much i thought i was going to have an asthma attack.. one of my favourite line being

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer

i think anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yes (just kidding - No!)
    Of course he's a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Yes (just kidding - No!)
    Complete legend. I'm about half way through So Long and Thanks for All the Fish, and it and previous 3 (and the following 1 I expect) were brilliant.

I must look into the meaning of Liff and the others mentioned here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the comment about him that he come in to work with the script for half an episode of the radio program, and after a lot of re-writing he have enough for a third of an episode. wonderful use of language, there are people who can quote great big chunks of it by heart because there is so little padding.

"uglier things have been seen, but not by reliable witnesses"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Yes (just kidding - No!)
    deeper meaning of liff
    interactive fiction:
    hitchhikers' guide to the galaxy (really good indeed and not just a straight adaptation of the novel)
    Bureaucracy (This uses an ascii parser so you'll need to fiddle about with system files to get it to display properly on xp....i didn't know how to do that, which mades certain points in the game rather frustrating).

Non-fiction:
    Last chance to See! (about endangered species)
    also some multimedia s/w about last chance to see

also doctor who scripts and things

my books books books thread in the for sale forum has a couple of his books in it (one of the meaning of liff books and mostly harmless in hardback)

Buy them off me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Yes (just kidding - No!)
    pwd: That was very confusing to read for some reason. Maybe I wasnt paying attention but.. It hurt my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Yes (just kidding - No!)
    The Deeper Meaning of Liff is a classic. For those of you who do not know, he finds sort-of unusual placenames and matches them with things that have not yet been given a name, e.g. Berrilillock (n.) An unknown workmate who writes "All the best" on your leaving card.
    There's also ones such as the skin-like thing which connects sausages on a string of sausages.
    Shoeburyness (n.) The vague uncomfortable feeling you get when sitting on a seat which is still warm from somebody else's bottom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Yes (just kidding - No!)
    Douglas Adams was a legend, who should never be forgotten. The world lost a true genius the day he died.

Advertisement