Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas Needed

Options
  • 05-06-2005 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Ok,

Heres my problem,...
    Just got a new laptop to replace my older PIII 1ghz one,.....
    I wanna sell the older one *but* I need a quick way to get all my music docs etc from the old to the new, buying portable drives etc aint an option.

Both run xp, both have wifi.

Any ideas?

B

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

If both have wifi then just setup a small network and transfer across. Other way will be a cross over cable. Should get one handy where ever you are and just google on the setup then.

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Hey if you want I'l make you up a crossover cable. It would be a lot lot lot faster at transferring all that stuff over to your new laptop than using wifi.. Let me know if you do. I have a thread on the computer hardware for this...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

a dvd? if it has the capabilty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Well you'd need a dvd burner and the PIII doesnt have a dvd burner. If someone had a external USB hard drive or a HD mp3 player you could use that.

Or get the NullModem cable like Mr. Dude suggested.

Oh and a tip, you might want to compress all the stuff you want to transfer into a zip or some sort of image so that when you are ready to transfer you only have to transfer one file. You can just leave it to do its funky stuff and go make a big cup of tea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

he doesnt want to buy a portable device so acable it is id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

In fact dont put it all into a zip file. Just put the lot into one folder and the drag the folder (with all the contents inside it) across to your new laptop via the crossover cable that I have offered to make for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Yeah, but would the 'foldering' work with the wifi, if using wifi.

Based on absolutely nothing, I will say no.
    he doesnt want to buy a portable device so acable it is id say.

I wasn't suggesting to 'buy' a portable device, I ment borrow.

You know. Bum around a college computer lab and 'borrow' an external HD.

Advertisement