Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STT hand quiz

Options
  • 04-06-2005 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

Taken from 2+2

Hand 1:
    UTG (t2000)
    Button (t2000)
    Hero (t6000)
    BB (t6000)
    Blinds are 300/600

Standard 50/30/20 structure.

Folded to hero with AQo. BB is a good player.

1) What's your play?
    2) With what range do you move in?
    3) What are you thinking when BB calls you?
    4) You are now BB. With what range do you call here? (no reads on SB).
    5) Assume you are button instead of SB. SB pushes, BB calls. How does this affect your equity? (AKA, is this series of events good or bad?)

General Questions:
    6) There are more than 4 players in Level 5. How often are you limping?
    7) Do you push often with J2o? Do you call often with J2o?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Taken from 2+2

Hand 1:
    UTG (t2000)
    Button (t2000)
    Hero (t6000)
    BB (t6000)
    Blinds are 300/600

1) What's your play?
    5) Assume you are button instead of SB. SB pushes, BB calls. How does this affect your equity? (AKA, is this series of events good or bad?)

General Questions:

1: Depends on whether he is a good tight player or a good loose player. Against a tight player I will push as he will fold most hands. He may call with 77-AA or AK,AQ. that is 10 hands, of which 9 are ahead of me, 3 by a long way. So he will fold all 159 other hand he could have.

Against a loose player I am even more likely to move in as I am likely to be called by a wider range of hands and will double up more often. I am willing to race in a situation which will put me on 12000 vs 2 players on 2000. I am not going to lose very often after doubling up to this position.

2: I will probably move in with AJ,AQ,AK,1010,JJ,QQ,KK,AA. The times I get called by a better hand or sucked out on then good luck to him. In the long run (without doing the maths) I am going to win in the long run.

3: If the BB calls me then I may win or I may lose, if he is lucky enough to have a better hand then fair play. Most times he will fold if he is a good player. Sometimes I will have a better hand and win, sometimes it will be a race and I will win a good percentage, sometimes he will dominate and I will suck out. In the long run I will probably make more money this way.

4: From the BB I will call with AQ,AK and 99 - AA. Again fairplay if he has a better hand. Without a read an average player will move in with a wide range of hands. If I have a player type assigned to him the range may be smaller or wider.

5: Unless they have the same hand you are a cert for the money ( barring the odd split pot when they both have small aces or make 4 card straights ) I will fold here unless I have AA/KK.

6: Which site ? there is a big difference between levels of the different sites. How many chips do I have ? What position am I in ? I may limp with a small to mid pair if I have a lot of chips. I may limp on the button if I have been raising, this encourages the small to call and often you still win with a bet after the flop.

7: I am not going to push with J2 unless on the button with very tight players to my left (even then I will probably just raise) or if I am about to be nearly all in on the BB. I am only going to call if almost all in on a blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

1) What's your play?
    Push - BB is a good player. Don't give him an opportunity to outplay on the flop. 10 BBs is too small a stack for any fancy play but an argument could be made for making it 3k and pushing at any flop.
    The hand range is pretty irrelevant. You move in on the bubble when the circumstances justify it.
    Cointoss most likely.
    AA-88, AK-AQo. No point losing a good chip position with a bad hand for a small loss in $EV. With reads that range increases.
    It's great. Equity has just increased very significantly. Now have an equal shot at 2nd with UTG.
    Never. Anymore than 4 players at this level of blinds will all be shortstacked. Stealing blinds is almost as valuable as stacking someone off at that stage.
    Push with that and any other two cards depending on who is in the blinds & position. Never call with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Taken from 2+2

Hand 1:
    UTG (t2000)
    Button (t2000)
    Hero (t6000)
    BB (t6000)
    Blinds are 300/600

1) What's your play?

General Questions:

I'm probably off mathematically, but these are my answers should I have to make a quick decision.

1) All in. You have a hand that beats most random hands the BB might have and with the other shorties in BB next 2 hands he will only call with a monster.

2) 88-AA, AT-K, KQ

3) That I'm in big ****ing trouble. He won't call without QQ-AA

4) AA/KK

5) I'd be ****ing exstatic

6) I almost never limp

7) If its folded to me in the SB with 5BBs or less (dependnig on the other stacks) I will push with anything as long I know it is not an automatic call for the BB. (i.e. he would need to have atleast some folding equity) If a shorty pushes and you are in the BB it is correct to call with J-5o (depending on stacks and blinds) if its if for 4BBs or less. J-2 doesn't make amuch difference but it really depends on the player, and where calling and losing will leave me.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

(1) What's your play?
    To push or raise ( 3 / 4 x BB ) this is a dilemma I ponder regularly.
    Both options express Strength. Raise possibly indicating a stronger holding ?.

Raise into a weak / middle holding in BB and fold is as likely as if you push all-in ?

However, if you are unlucky enough to run into a big hand in the BB there is an escape route with raise option ?.

To push or raise ( 3 / 4 x BB ) this is a dilemma I ponder regularly.
    Both options express Strength. Raise possibly indicating a stronger holding ?.

Raise into a weak / middle holding in BB and fold is as likely as if you push all-in ?

However, if you are unlucky enough to run into a big hand in the BB there is an escape route with raise option ?.

You are giving a good player the opportunity to make a move on you by raising here. If you are not going to call a reraise all in then you shouldnt be raising. Moving in elminates his move opportunity and forces him to only play a strong hands. Mosat people will re-raise with weaker hand than they will call with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

1. I raise 2 times the BB regardless of what kind of player he is. If he re-raises me I fold. I am one off the money and he is the only player who can knock me out.
    2. I don't move in under any circumstances against the only player who can eliminate me.
    3. If he calls me I need to hit and if I don't I'm willing to let it go.
    4. I don't call just re-raise with QQ/KK/AA.
    5. Not willing to get out the calculator today but I would say it is good for me because one of the chip leaders will have reduced chips after the hand improving my chance of finishing ITM.
    6. Bit vague but I will not limping too often except to trap with big hands against only one of two players.
    7. J2o goes in the bin every time except for exceptional circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I hope these answers don't go into HJ's player notes...
    1) What's your play?
    Raise to 2000 even.
    I don't think I'd move in, I'm either raising a standard amount or folding. I'm confident that I'm good enough to figure out when I'm behind.
    That he's either got a monster QQ/KK/AA or that he's gambling with a mid pair or something, hoping to hit a hand or push me off the flop.
    Depends. I'll probably fold alot of hands here, if he's a good player then he could be doing this with a large range, AA/KK included. Probably JJ or better, AK.
    Never, unless I have AA then I *might* limp to see if someone makes a mistake.
    From the BB is the SB limps and I'm a little short stacked, from the button if blinds are weak. Never if I'm am not short stacked. Never call with J2o unless I'm calling a very short stack's all-in.
    [/quote]

musician wrote:
    1. I raise 2 times the BB regardless of what kind of player he is. If he re-raises me I fold. I am one off the money and he is the only player who can knock me out.
    2. I don't move in under any circumstances against the only player who can eliminate me.
    3. If he calls me I need to hit and if I don't I'm willing to let it go.
    4. I don't call just re-raise with QQ/KK/AA.
    5. Not willing to get out the calculator today but I would say it is good for me because one of the chip leaders will have reduced chips after the hand improving my chance of finishing ITM.
    6. Bit vague but I will not limping too often except to trap with big hands against only one of two players.
    7. J2o goes in the bin every time except for exceptional circumstances.

Player notes:
    Briano: tight as a ducks arse

In your answer to Q2 would you not put all your chips in with AA or KK ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The question is too vague. under what circumstances am I going to move all-in. Just out of the blue? Surely it has to be qulified with a more specific scenario instead of asking what would you move in on. Move in on after a raise? Move in on after a limper? The main point here is you are 1 from the money so it's madness to put all your chips into the middle against someone who can take them all. I am not moving all-in with AA on the SB to steal the BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Shortstack wrote:
    You are giving a good player the opportunity to make a move on you by raising here. If you are not going to call a reraise all in then you shouldnt be raising. Moving in elminates his move opportunity and forces him to only play a strong hands. Mosat people will re-raise with weaker hand than they will call with.

Agreed. You can't let him force the decision back on you. If you move in he won't call without a monster. If you let him see a flop he could play back at you knowing full well you won't call without a big hand since the shorties are in such bad shape, allowing him to take control of the game. Folding is better than raising a small amount here in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Good replies, the consensus seems to be just about right.

Calling the all in from the Big Blind when the small blind who covers you moves in can only be done with a big hand. AK/Q isnt strong enough because it hurts your equity to play a 60 40 for all your chips on the bubble. Call with AA/KK only, QQ if you think the small blind is moving in on a essentially random hand.

Advertisement