Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Parks and Gardens

Options
  • 03-06-2005 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

Here's some blurb on some of the parks and gardens in Dublin that i know of. Add info if you can on these or any other good places for chillin'.

Iveagh Gardens
    I usually get into this place via the National Concert Hall, and only today discovered the other entrance off Harcourt Street (Therse's a street called Clonmel Street which is on your right as you walk toward Stephen Green. It's at the endof that). Widely regarded as Dublins secret Garden, Iveagh Gardens has two terrific fountain works in it, and they provide the only noise in this sparsely populated oasis. Closes at 6:00 pm.

Merrion Square
    This one ranks up with my favourites, maybe because i've been having my lunch there all week. There's two large open areas, a playground, and plenty of leafy walkways. Also, if you're feeling particularly couple-ish, there's a great semi-secluded spot east along the walkway from the the Oscar Wilde statue. You'll find a bust of Bernardo O Higgins when you get there. There are in fact many statues in Merrion Square park, including a gruesome looking one of Christ in the South-East corner.

Fitzwilliam Square
    This appears to be a private park. You can pay for membership. Peeking through the hedges reveals that there's tennis courts in there

Stephen Green
    Easily one of the most frequented of parks in Dublin by the general masses. Not much i can say about it really, but I find that if you sit on a bench around the fountains, you'll almost definitly spot someone you know walking through.

Phoenix Park
    This is Europe's biggest inner city Park apparently. Obvious places of interest include Aras an Uachtarain, and Farmleigh House. Phoenix Park is also very good for running, with plenty of track, cross country routes, and hill-sprint locations. If that's what you're into.

That's all for now from me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭She-Ra

Secret gardens is a great place to paint too if your into it.. haven't been since last summer... must make that a priority for the good weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i love Iveagh Gardens, a really great park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Sticky this perhaps.

I'd add:
    Herbert Park
    Playing pitches, large greens, tennis courts, bowls and all sorts great amenity.

Ringsend / Irishtown Park
    Playgrounds, loads of playing pitches, and plenty of space, not too scenic more practical if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

The gardens in the IMMA are really beautiful.

Advertisement