Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coleen Nolan, her son, exams and....

Options
  • 03-06-2005 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/ireland/Full_Story/did-sgN52gtB9dlEMsg0aewFBADppk.asp
    FORMER singer Coleen Nolan defended her actions yesterday after she promised her son sex with a prostitute if he passed his exams.

The mother of three said she would allow 15-year-old Shane to go on a sex trip to Amsterdam.

Her ex-husband, EastEnders star Shane Richie, said he was "disgusted and appalled" by her comments about their son on ITV1 show, Loose Women.

The Dublin-born former Nolans singer, 40, also told the shocked audience she had given her fiancé Ray Fensome permission to have a one-night stand during the proposed trip.

Me checks calander....thank God I have a normal mother. She'd have promised me 100 quid!

Just in case you're trying to remeber which Nolan it is....

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Theres progressive parenting and theres pure insanity. Hell, its bad enough shes blabbed about it on TV - your man will never live this down. Never. If he just so happened to kill her, I dont think there is a jury in the land that would convict him.

At least the father seems to have the basic degree of common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You realy do wonder...I doubt she thought to tell her son she was going to tell the world about this arrangement. I wonder what he thinks? Apart from 'let the ground open under me, please'.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Is a 15 year old allowed solicit a pro in Ams?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I literally can not believe a mother would do this. I don't normally go in for the whole 'i'm a better mother than you' thing, as nobody's perfect, but in this case I feel fairly confident in saying she is abusing her son. He's a child, she should be nurturing him.

At 15 you should be teaching your child about respect, affection and safety in their sex-lives or future sex-lives, not sending them into something so emotionally wrought as their first sexual experience with an anonymous professional being paid by their Mother to deflorate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Christ, am I the only one thinking that people are getting way to worked up about this?

If you think that kids aren't sexualy active at 15, you're naive, so why is it such a big deal that a parent can help the kid along in a controlled atmosphere. The prostitute is obviously going to be experienced, and can teach the boy a lot of things, such as wearing a condom... I'd find it ridiculous that people can't see that this is somewhat of a learning experience, not just a treat, and far preferable for himself to have fun where he can be guided, instead of knocking up young Sally down behind the bikeshed, as is often the case.

It's certainly a brave thing that woman is doing, and I can't see it having any negative effects on him. Only stuck up old housewives making a huge deal of it is going to have negative effects.

That's my €0.02, count it if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Call me wierd but if my mother, my mother suggested this as a pay-off for doing well in my exams I'd leave home.

Mike.

Who on this thread said that they don't think they're kids would be sexually active at 15?

And if they are (probably) sexually active at 15, isn't it a bit late to be paying a prostitute to "teach" your child how to put on a condom? You should have them practising on a banana at 12 imo.

Also, congratulations for thinking that it's not going to have any negative effects on the child. You obviously know the ins and outs of this particular childs psyche. I'm sure it wouldn't affect some children, but i'm also sure that it would affect some.

Either way, if you don't know for sure, which neither of us do, isn't it the duty of a parent to play it safe?

Sorry if this makes me a stuck-up old housewife. The last time I checked I was a 24 yr old student and single mum living in the City Centre who votes Green, but after reading this thread I feel your diagnosis is probably more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Mike, aslong as yer ma isn't there watching, would you really give a damn?
    Shabadu wrote:
    You obviously know the ins and outs of this particular childs psyche. I'm sure it wouldn't affect some children, but i'm also sure that it would affect some.

How can you make any such claim that I don't know the kids psyche? It's about as ambigious as you claiming it wouldn't affect some children, but how do you have any idea of that? Or for that matter, whether it would affect some?

My point is that since there are a lot of sexually active children at that age, I don't see how sex with a prostitute is going to **** someone up any more than finding out you've got a girl pregnant before you've done your junior cert.

Sorry- what's pissing me off is HIS MA paying for a prostitute as some kind of reward.

Personally, I think that has the potential to fu(k up a child. You disagree, fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i have a problem with the whore part. but if she said i'll get one of my slutty but attractive mates to ride you if you do well i wouldn't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Christ, am I the only one thinking that people are getting way to worked up about this?
    Nope. If that's what she wants to give him as a reward "lucky him!" is all I can say. Big deal over nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

"I couldn't get laid so my mother sent me to a hooker" - Hmm, that boy is going to have a weird relationship with Mammy, if nothing else.

But I find it more worrying that the Examiner would find it worthwhile to give coverage to such a bunch of loser "celebrities" tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

i have a problem with the whore part. but if she said i'll get one of my slutty but attractive mates to ride you if you do well i wouldn't care.
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think it's messed up insofar as
    (a) She blabbed.
    (b) Shouldn't you have sex with emotional peers?
    simu wrote:
    But I find it more worrying that the Examiner would find it worthwhile to give coverage to such a bunch of loser "celebrities" tbh.
    The Nolans were really big in JApan - 10s of millions of records sold.

Victor wrote:
    I think it's messed up insofar as
    (a) She blabbed.
    (b) Shouldn't you have sex with emotional peers?

The Nolans were really big in JApan - 10s of millions of records sold.

This is just a once off. I don't think that's all too relevant. He's 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eh, my dad gave me (Irish pounds, remember) 50 quid for every A, 40 quid for every B, 20 quid for every C and so on. Plus a bonus of 10 quid for every 5 points I was over 500 by.

It was one of the few times I was glad I took 8 subjects for my leaving.

Bribing children coming upto exams isn't exactly an uncommon practice. Although most parents just give their kids the money. If they feel the need to go find themselves a hooker to spend it on, well that's their business now isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Quantum

I think she should be looked into as an unfit mother. She is an embarrassment and an outrage and child abuse should be considered.

Quantum wrote:
    I think she should be looked into as an unfit mother. She is an embarrassment and an outrage and child abuse should be considered.

wow way to over react.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

Quantum wrote:

Sounds like something a former parish priest would say. So what if she wants to send her son to a whoorer as a reward. If Ms Nolan or Nolan junior thinks it will be a significant event in his development, then they can only be disappointed.
    Is this very different from using cash/ a holiday/ driving lessons/insurance as a bribe/incentive to study? If ms nolan feels that this is the appropriate incentive who are we we to criticise her.
    That said I think she is sad unfortunate fcuk who feels that tabloid telly is the best place to disclose such information, I'm sure junior just loves him mum 2 bits for sharing this info with the world.

/me sings "feel like dancing, I'm givin it all tonight"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Man that is off the wall.
    I just think going to a prostitute is something he might want to do when he's fifteen, but he could really end up regretting.
    And of course, that boy's face is going to be bright red for months. She may just have ruined it for him by blabbing.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If I was married to that *I'd* want a one night stand too. :)

My mother suggesting all of this would be insanely freaky though.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I didn't see the programme where she apparently said this but my understanding was that she said her partner was taking her son (by shane Ritchie) to Amsterdam after his GCSE's because thats what the kid chose as his 'reward'. I assume one of the other women on the show said words along the lines of, "what if they get up to any funny business in certain districts over there!" etc and Nolan replied that it wouldn't bother her if either of them got up to any funny business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Sand wrote:
    Theres progressive parenting and theres pure insanity.
    That's the kind of hysterical response I'd expect from someone who's never been in the same room as a naked woman yet. I'm surprised at you Sand. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Redleslie2 wrote:
    That's the kind of hysterical response I'd expect from someone who's never been in the same room as a naked woman yet. I'm surprised at you Sand. :eek:

the issue here isn't the boy having sex .. i don't think anyone here would have a problem with that ... the issue here isn't even the boy having sex with a prostitute ... some here might have issue with that, others wouldn't

the issue here is the mother bribing her son to do well in an exam with the promise of sex with a hooker ... sorry, but that is f**ked up ...

I mean why a hooker? She could have just as easily given him money that he could do what he wanted with. It is bizzare in the extreme that this seemed like a idea to her in the first place ("I could get him a Playstation? ... a deposit on a car? ... no wait! a hooker!! yes thats it") .. and what is even more f**ked up is that she is now blabbing about it all over the papers ... to me this seems more like a desperate attempt at publisicity than any actual attempt to motivate her son to do well in his exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

the issue here is the mother bribing her son to do well in an exam with the promise of sex with a hooker ... sorry, but that is f**ked up ...

Dont even bother tbh. Thats just an account set up by another user to troll/whinge and basically act like a 3 year old. Oh and it really hates me. Its quite satisfying that its crying hot salty tears on its keyboard on account of me but other than its not very interesting, all its posts in threads where I have posted are summarised as "I hate you sand, hate you, hate you, hate you blah blah blah blah".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Wicknight wrote:

I mean why a hooker? She could have just as easily given him money that he could do what he wanted with. It is bizzare in the extreme that this seemed like a idea to her in the first place ("I could get him a Playstation? ... a deposit on a car? ... no wait! a hooker!! yes thats it") .. and what is even more f**ked up is that she is now blabbing about it all over the papers ... to me this seems more like a desperate attempt at publisicity than any actual attempt to motivate her son to do well in his exams.

Way to jump the gun Wicknight! Maybe ya should have read the full article
    Nolan said: "This whole thing came about because Shane is taking his GCSEs and I said if you do really well in them, I will pay for you, for a long weekend, to go anywhere you want to go.

"His first reaction was, 'Mum, me and my mates have always wanted to go to Amsterdam to see the red light district'.

"I didn't say, 'If you get five GCSEs, I'll send you to Amsterdam to sleep with a prostitute'."
    http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/ireland/Full_Story/did-sgN52gtB9dlEMsg0aewFBADppk.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

But the teacup storm was worth it!

(not true)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

i can't see that this is going anywhere either

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement