Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ratings

Options
  • 03-06-2005 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭

I cannot confirm this but it comes from a trust worthy source. Anyone who bought the mirror today might be able to confirm this. A friend who got it today,read that the two part pilot attracted 370,000 viewers while Tabula Rasa pulled in 350,000 viewers. Thats as much as Desperate Housewives and hopefully it will stay over 300,000!

Good news or what? :D

Im sure it was be on aertel next week,but like I said,its a pretty reliable source,the friend that is,not the mirror! lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Said it once and i'll say it again!

"Lost will absolutely kill all in the Irish ratings".. especially now Desperate Housewives is over!

Thar figure does sound plausible!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭donalin

meh...its kinda really corny. but pretty groin grabbingly gripping. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

donalin wrote:
    meh...its kinda really corny. but pretty groin grabbingly gripping. :)

arghh too many g's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

The ratings are up on Aertel...seems the figures I gave earlier were more or less correct,for the pilot anyway. Next week we will get Tabula Rasa

Im not sure what part got what,but I presume the first part got more viewers.

Lost Pilot Part 1: 414,000
    Lost Pilot Part 2: 329,000

Average: 371,500

Not bad...although thats quite a drop from the first to the second,maybe people didnt realise there was 2 hours of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭donalin

lol. like you sig!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

'Lost' placed 5th in the ratings ending the week of June 12th with viewing figures of 242,000. Down a lot since the pilot!! :(

Ahead of 'Lost' that week was:

1 World Cup Qualifier Wed 491 000
    2 Sunday Game Live Sun 324 "
    3 Sunday Game Live Sun 257 "
    4 Nutty Professor Thu 251 " (HOW?!? :D)

Ye I know...370,000 for 1 and 2
    350,000 for 3
    242,000 for 4

I hope it doesnt continue to drop,U guess most Irish people would rather watch crap...the nutty professor? wtf?

and desperate housewives,I mean i watched it and it was enjoyable,but it was no more than a fancy soap...not quality.

ok...it didnt drop anymore which is good,it actually went up a small bit.

RTÉ TWO DAY VIEWERS

3. Lost Mon 245 000

9. CSI New York Tue 181 "

as you can see CSI:NY didnt do too badly either coming in at number 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

how could u watch the first one and not keep watching it...the suspense is excellent..

Jammer wrote:
    how could u watch the first one and not keep watching it...the suspense is excellent..

I agree...but I have heard many people say it was "unrealistic" or "too weird", duh its sci-fi! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Watched the first 3 episode and half of the 4th and thought it had potenial but i wasn't going to waste my time with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭guest31

I couldn't really get into it ... and now that I missed the first, can't see myself catching up. I also couldn't take that actor who used to be in Party of Five seriously ... he's not very good. Who knows, I might try it out again, doubt it tho .... rather stick with Six feet under/ Nip/tuck / Sopranos for drama.

Your loss guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

tvnutz wrote:
    Your loss guys! :)

Your sig is the funniest thing I've come across in years, got to get the box sets.

Boggles wrote:
    Your sig is the funniest thing I've come across in years, got to get the box sets.

lol ye...i actually saw the box sets really cheap in Virgin in Liffy Valley if you live around that area! :p Seasons 1 and 2 were about 12 euro each and season 3 was about 20. Its a sale though so it might only last a while.

ciaran76 wrote:
    Watched the first 3 episode and half of the 4th and thought it had potenial but i wasn't going to waste my time with it.

Pity you didnt actually wait until the end of the 4th episode. :p and waste your time? its an hour a week! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Yeah by only watching half the 4th episode he did waste his time. There's a revelation at the end of that ep that makes the hour worth watching.

cregser wrote:
    Yeah by only watching half the 4th episode he did waste his time. There's a revelation at the end of that ep that makes the hour worth watching.

Thats what I was implying :D

Lost was up significantly week ending June 26th with 290,000 viewers.

The week before it got 245,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

I wonder how many people/families are polled by TAM to derive the rating?

If someone suggests they use mind rays or some other crazy method to determine what we're all watching, I'll hunt you down and urinate in your garden

• Advertisement

No idea mate :p

244,000 viewers-WEEK ENDING... JULY 03

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I was more suprised that CSI:NY didn't do better, since it took over from DH.

DH must have viewers that watch the orginal CSI:Crime Scene Investigate on RTÉ ONE.

But then the marketing blitz that RTÉ TWO have done for both shows (DH and LOST) is surprising when CSI: Mimia orginally appear it was hard to find anywhere. Again the current advertising blitz isn't working for CSI, well I suppose the last add was pathetic (sometimes I am glad RTÉ change their adds for shows each week).

Also the rates might be a bit shakier then DH as LOST is repeated on Fridays at 7 on RTÉ TWO.

Also CSI should take over from ER during the summer IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭super123

Its attracting more and more views as it goes along

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

OFDM wrote:
    I wonder how many people/families are polled by TAM to derive the rating?
    Very few I'd imagine. In the US, there's only 5000 fulltime Nielsen families out of a population of 265 million. Yes, you read that right:
    How do you figure out the ratings?

Nielsen Media Research continually measures television viewing with a number of different samples all across the U.S. The first step is to develop representative samples. This must be done with a scientifically drawn random selection process. No volunteers can be accepted or the statistical accuracy of the sample would be in jeopardy.

Nationally, there are 5,000 television households in which electronic meters (called People Meters) are attached to every TV set, VCR, cable converter box, satellite dish or other video equipment in the home. The meters continually record all set tuning. In addition we ask each member of the household to let us know when they are watching by pressing a pre-assigned button on the People Meter which is also present. By matching this button activity to the demographic information (age/gender) we collect at the time the meters are installed, we can match the set tuning – what is being watched – with who is watching. All these data are transmitted to Nielsen Media Research’s computers where they are processed and released to our customers each day.

In addition to this national service, we have a slightly different metering system in 55 local markets. In each of those markets Nielsen Media Research gathers just the set-tuning information each day from more than 20,000 additional homes. We than process the data and release what we call "household ratings" daily. In this case we can report what channel or program is being watched, but we don’t have the "who" part of the picture. To gather that local demographic information, we periodically (at least 4 times per year) ask another group of people to participate in our diary surveys. For these estimates, we contact approximately 1 million homes each year and ask them to keep track of television viewing for one week, recording their TV viewing activity in a diary. This is done for all 210 television markets in the United States in November, February, May and July and is generally referred to as the "sweeps".
    It basically means that, in the case of a show such as Farscape, the actual physical difference between being renewed and cancelled may boil down to as little as 3 or 4 Nielsen family folk watching the show. Now imagine the scale of the Irish one...

Im not really...CSI Miami was getting the same amount as CSI NY for its second season. Id say guys mostly watch CSI...whereas DH attracted both male and female.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

But there must be some viewers from CSI that watched DH and knew that CSI:NY was coming along?

I know lots of women that watch CSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

If RTE really did spend loads of money on Lost then why didn't they show it on RTE One which has a way bigger audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

If RTE really did spend loads of money on Lost then why didn't they show it on RTE One which has a way bigger audience?
    RTE don't show american shows on prime time RTE 1 anymore.

• Advertisement

259,000 viewers week ending July 10th...if anyone cares!! :rolleyes: :p

Advertisement