Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood to ban smoking in films

Options
  • 03-06-2005 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Apparently hollywood is set to ban smoking in films, they see it as a promotion of the filthy habit. I quit smoking 6 months ago but I think they should still allow it sometimes. I'm a bit divided on it to be honest! What do you all think? :)

Do you think they should ban smoking in films? 13 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmmm.

I guess Constantine won't be remade then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I think they should ban terrorists in movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

And guns too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

Yeh.. but then.. what about the war films? Would they just use wooden sticks instead?? I can see your point though. They say smoking in films promotes it.. and therefore promotes death.. well don't films with war as a theme do the same? It's debatable!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Dr.Feelgood

anything that isnt biblical or promoting the western world way of life should be banned too- oh yeah and anyone who hasnt got two american parents, from white blood lines- and people who drive fords should be banned to-

i dont want no more explosions-
    Maybe its coz they spend all their budget paying for the smokes that they are banning them!!

Its a joke- lets pretend to america that no body smokes!!

Another fine plan brought to you from the consistent makers of mindless soulless sheeite!!!

• Advertisement

hahaha so true! you're right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Anyone who looks at a film and thinks "Goddamn, I bet I could look as cool as James Dean if I started smoking!" deserves any kind of lung cancer they get. The world needs less stupid people anyway.

Believe it or not I'm sure there are tons of people who do that.. It's ridiculous.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

James Bond will have to come up with a new way to get close to baddies.

"Could I trouble you for a nicotine patch?"

I think it works. :|

rkm wrote:
    James Bond will have to come up with a new way to gat close to baddies.

"Could I trouble you for a nicotine patch?"

I think it works. :|

LMAO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

nesf wrote:
    I guess Constantine won't be remade then?
    Hahahaha!

I'm so freakin' against smoking it's unreal but and I wouldn't smoke unless I had to (in some wild circumstance) but I would smoke if I were in a film and it was required and I thought the film was worth it. What if you're making a film about someone who gets cancer and dies from smoking? Would you just have to cheat it?! Lol.

Art imitates life (alot of the time)! In life, people smoke! Deal with it!

You're right hugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 zigzag wonderer

they'll never ban smoking in the pictures, what they have done is baned the glorification of smoking in the pictures.

for example in constantine the lead character smoked like a trooper was diagnosed with cancer and was told he was going to hell. nothing too great about smoking there, because in films, say from the mid 90's onwards, they're not allowed make it look cool. the same go's for drinking and unsafe sex and drugs etc... all the things the majority consider morally wrong.

if you want to see people making smoking look cool and not in the slightest way show how harmful it is just watch ghostbusters. bill murry and dan ****ing chew through them the entire film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Sin City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i think its a good think, just lost my dad to lung cancer so having a very anti smoking time at the moment. what about the actors who dont smoke and have to for a film....thats awful!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

tabatha wrote:
    i think its a good think, just lost my dad to lung cancer so having a very anti smoking time at the moment. what about the actors who dont smoke and have to for a film....thats awful!
    They use non-carciogenic herbal cigarettes. If you go to an Irish film set or a play where smoking is featured, the smoking laws, prohibiting nicotine as they do, means that the actors will use herbal cigarettes or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, I'd normally say that it's imperative for films to be able to show the vision of the film-maker in all its glory or filth or whatever. But then again, these are Hollywood films you're talking about, 99% of which suck so it doesn't matter much to me. How will this ban happen anyway? Does it apply to all films made within the USA or with US backers or what? What about independent film makers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Political correctness taken to the extremes of extreme. I wish somebosy would hurry up and nuke North America or release a virus that only takes out ultra conservatives and bible bashers so I don't have to but up with anymore of this ridiculous crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why no take any semblence of reality out of films altogether. I dont smoke and I whole-heartedly support the smoking ban in pubs, but this is ridiculous. They may as well ban drinking in movies aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Sin City.

first thing popped into my head when i looked at the thread title.

I was saying to tman not so long ago that im surprised sin city got away with the smoking like it did. I also said im sure it wont be long untill pc society bans smoking from films.

no smoking shouldnt be banned in films, people should be able to make their own decisions without finding a scapegoat in films or in the case of grand theft auto games etc.

• Advertisement

I imagine 'Sin City' got away with it because it was made by somewhat of a rogue figure - Rodriguez - and backed by the Weinsteins. No other studio would touch the unusual movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

BOLLYWOOD

:rolleyes:

</edit>linky . None of you checked this?

Indeed, I had wondered about the truth of it, but the fact of the matter is pressure groups have been campaigning for smoking bans in movies for years so it was somewhat believable. Currently, if I remember correctly, there's a lot of weight behind a campaign to get the BBFC to label any movie with smoking as '18s' and, in the US, to get an 'R' rating. There's even talks of trying to get all smoking post-watershed.

Still - at least the violence will still be there for the kiddies...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Seems pretty pointless to have films as 18 certs for smoking when you can just walk down the street watching people puff away. Short of banning smoking itself, people will smoke if they want to regardless of what films show. By making it risqué and worthy of an 18 cert you're just going to make it look cool and rebellious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Should ban advertising too, bet thats the real problem Apple Coke and others paying for it but not the baccy makers.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Anyone who looks at a film and thinks "Goddamn, I bet I could look as cool as James Dean if I started smoking!" deserves any kind of lung cancer they get. The world needs less stupid people anyway.
    thats me in a nutshell. certainly part of the reason i started, i must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I still don't see how they can ban smoking in films and not murder

• Registered Users Posts: 30,837 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Cant get over how ridiculous this is..To make it perfectly legal to smoke, but to not be allowed watch smoking in movies/ on tv?! eh?! So i can watch a man stab another man in the face with a rusty spoon, but i cant watch someone smoke? Surely if they put the effort they do into banning nonsensical stuff and put it into more productive areas the world would be much better. Do they not accept we're Actually People and not drones who mindlessly copy everything we see? whats next, ban the lemmings games as they might cause people to jump off cliffs?!?

Maybe instead of age ratings they should have an intelligence ratings to see if people are intelligent enough to watch said films without going home and lighting up just cause they saw it on cinema screen. "oh now sorry little billy, you're not clever enough to watch X-Men cause theres a high probability you're stupid enough to jump off a building thinking you can fly." hmmm could work, makes at least as much sense as banning smoking from movies does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Lol. A National IQ Card which identifies you as being smart enough to see rated films. And other tests for cinema goers:-

Eat this bag of crisps as quietly as you can.

An actor appears on the screen. Do you a) keep your filthy motuh shut or b) turn to your friend as say, "Err, that's 'im off Ballykissangle 'innit?! Musn't be a priest, must be a actor yeah."?

(Good ol' Jack Dee :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

lol @ intelligence ratings
    why do they see banning as a solution to all problems!
    but just thinking about it most new films i can think of that have a rating around 12/PG/U dont have smoking scenes in them? (correct me if im wrong)
    -LOTRs "finest weed in all middle-earth" ":D
    having to give a film a rating of 18/15 just because someone smokes in it will be the biggest joke ever

Advertisement