Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bohsman and Pokertroll will be playing......

Options
  • 02-06-2005 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭

Here

and

Here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Sweet Jesus, thats unreal.

Lucky B*stards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

hell of a tourney director :)

just thinkin. if there's only (!) 6000 people, statistically ~35 people should be dealt AA in the first hand of the WSOP. i'm guessing at least one will push and be called.

careful lads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

fun and games...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

karlh wrote:
    hell of a tourney director :)

just thinkin. if there's only (!) 6000 people, statistically ~35 people should be dealt AA in the first hand of the WSOP. i'm guessing at least one will push and be called.

careful lads.

Myself and Muso had just that conversation yesterday. The old would you put all your chips in with AA on the first hand. I said I would (I know its easy to say from this side of the Atlantic), muso reckons no. And i don't want to start another huge thread about it, but it would be a great story to tell either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

careca wrote:
    Myself and Muso had just that conversation yesterday. The old would you put all your chips in with AA on the first hand. I said I would (I know its easy to say from this side of the Atlantic), muso reckons no. And i don't want to start another huge thread about it, but it would be a great story to tell either way.

Not putting it in with KK would be a much better question. Not getting it all in preflop with Aces is a no brainer and anyone who doesn't (ouside of very limited set of circumstances) doesn't deservre their WSOP ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Gonna use one of them photos !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

You start with 10000 chips with 2hour blinds starting at 25/50, I see no reason for an all in preflop, I think it would be practically impossible. Fair enough in a $3 sit and go with blinds at 10/25 somebody is likely to push all in under the gun first hand to make 35profit but I think anybody that goes all in preflop with aces doesnt deserve their ticket

bohsman wrote:
    You start with 10000 chips with 2hour blinds starting at 25/50, I see no reason for an all in preflop, I think it would be practically impossible. Fair enough in a $3 sit and go with blinds at 10/25 somebody is likely to push all in under the gun first hand to make 35profit but I think anybody that goes all in preflop with aces doesnt deserve their ticket

So if someone raises your UTG raise first hand when you have Aces, then you reraise him and again and he sticks in half his chips, what then?

I dont reraise, I want a bet out of him on the flop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

NickyOD wrote:
    Not putting it in with KK would be a much better question. Not getting it all in preflop with Aces is a no brainer and anyone who doesn't (ouside of very limited set of circumstances) doesn't deservre their WSOP ticket.

I dont deserve a WSOP ticket then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

you would fold aces pre flop?
    when?

Give me a credible scenario where it is the right move to go all in preflop when you have 10000 chips and the blinds are 25/50

When someone has pushed, and it's heads up ?

Oscar,

If someone puts you all -in, would you call?

I refuse to believe that anybody is going to go all in preflop the first hand of the WSOP, would they do it as a joke? To be able to tell everybody they went all in with the hammer.

Of course Ill call but dont think it could happen

We'll see.

Just wanted to know what you would do.

If Paddy Power wants to give me some odds on someone going all-in first hand of the WSOP, I'll have a few quid on that please.

Preflop? The old 200times the big blind raise utg trick

Yup preflop ... we'll see soon enough. I'll have a punt on that.

More like the raise, re-raise, all-in syndrome, rather than trying to rob the blinds ;)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I also have trouble envisaging how two players *credibly* get all their chips in preflop on 25-50 blinds. The problem is, most of us are used to playing such tight stacks that "all in" after the flop is fairly reasonable. Or even preflop!
    How many times do you see Aces revealed at a showdown? very rarely!
    Usually they get turned over when someone calls the all-in on the flop or simply to prove that the people wasnt being a bully when its not called.

In the wsop, its not going to be that simple. Its more likely to be played undisclosed until the river which may leave you not knowing where you are on the turn or river.
    opn 25/50 blinds, a reasonable raise is 4-500 (ok thats HUGE but we need to engineer a way to get all the chip in there), you get reraised to 2,000 and flat call. Now you can check the flop to the raiser if you dont improve or get your bet out first and see what he makes of it. But to get all-in preflop you cant flat call and would have to reraise to say, 5000. Now he has to go all in or flat call. Whats he going all in with? KK? I dont think so, you are most likely facing your twin hand here.

Its very hard to create a *credible* situation where someone misplays a hand soooo badly that they end up all-in with you preflop, first-hand-of-wsop. Thats Oscars point.

For the record, against a handfull of all-ins I'd probably drop aces. Reasoning: I expect to be facing my twin so its very unlikely that my hand will improve and I'm winning only half the pot for all of the risk. Also, I dont believe that with (say) 4 times the stack I would be 4 times as likely to win or get to the money in the WSOP, in which case the maths begins to fall down. Against 1 or 2 all-ins sure, against 3 maybe, 4+ probably not. Call me a coward but would also be thinking "I probably wont get here again for a long time, I'd like to make the most of it".... which is bad but human.

DeV.

bohsman wrote:
    I refuse to believe that anybody is going to go all in preflop the first hand of the WSOP, would they do it as a joke? To be able to tell everybody they went all in with the hammer.

Of course Ill call but dont think it could happen

Lots of players go out in the first hand every year. I tihnk it happened to Sammy Farha (or some big name pro anyway) in the first hand a couple of years ago. He had KK in the BB and siomeone in MP just moved all in. He couldn't believe someone would do that with Aces in teh very first hand and called. Out he went. doh!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Did the guy have aces? Or what he outdrawn? (I'm just curious!).

It does seem like a silly move on both their parts though, doesnt it!

DeV.

Yeah he had Aces. In this situation he played tehm perfectly. lol.

DeVore wrote:
    I also have trouble envisaging how two players *credibly* get all their chips in preflop on 25-50 blinds.
    DeV.

I think we'll all agreed on the "credible" scenario.

Methinks there is gonna be 7000 entrants*10 = 70000 first hands dealt, approx 330 matches dealt aces into the hole.

You got Aces, someone raises you 25% your stack, I'm ahead, I'm not folding, I've the best hand, there's 10000 chips on offer here, the name of the game is accumulate chips ...... I see your 2500, and raise you 7500.

Odds please ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Imagen losing 10k with Kings...in the first hand of the WSOP,you would get the shakes the next time you looked down and had KK in the hole.

Culchie wrote:
    I think we'll all agreed on the "credible" scenario.

Methinks there is gonna be 7000 entrants*10 = 70000 first hands dealt, approx 330 matches dealt aces into the hole.

You got Aces, someone raises you 25% your stack, I'm ahead, I'm not folding, I've the best hand, there's 10000 chips on offer here, the name of the game is accumulate chips ...... I see your 2500, and raise you 7500.

Odds please ?

I think its capped to 6600 with a ****load of alternates waiting for someone to drop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

Can any1 confirm that this event is capped?
    I connot find anywhere on the official website where it states the event will be limited to 6,500. Besides there is many people I know planning to play satellites on the few days before hand.

The figure I've heard a few people mention is 6600 but I haven't seen it in black and white yet. There definitely has to be a number they can't go over, although if you register after that number has been reached you may get in on a list of "alternates" which is what they did for Event #2 a just a couple of days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

I've also heard several figures being thrown around, but nothing documented. It would be a disaster to turn people away, and I seriously doubt in their first year that harrahs will not do everything possible to accomodate all players. Anyway the juice is very juicey. They will clear $4million on this event alone from players and thats just for reg fees. Add t.v rights/sponsorship/accomodation/food/drink/ not to mention cash games.
    I think a €20,000 entry event in Limerick should be organized. People can fly into Shannon. Good accomodation available, it's a winner. We should run same week as wsop and get all the european players. Who wants to go to vegas when you visit Limerick.

Advertisement