Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood colour

Options
  • 01-06-2005 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it is possible to lighten the colour of wood, specifically mahogany. I have a mahogany mantle, I love the design I just hate the colour.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Yes there is a process to lighten wood colour. It is known as fuming. :)

It is done by allowing ammonia fumes react with the tannin in timber. This is normally done in a chamber. Ammonia is found in bleach, and is regarded as a HIGHLY TOXIC CHEMICAL. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You should not attempt this process, unless you have the necessary skills and experience. You should have a HIGH REGARD FOR THE SAFETY REQUIREMENTS involved.

If you intend to try this any way, this is an explanation of the work involved,

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/What_is_fuming.html

I would advise extreme caution when using any toxic chemicals :D

Be safe,

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

How about if your not fussy try Paint&Grain?.Or like i did for a fella once do imitation marble with paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Thanks for the info but I don't think fuming is an option as it says this should be done outside which would mean removing the mantle piece (the suggestion of which has incurred many heated debates with my other half)

Would sanding it make a difference of is it the same colour throughout? (someone I know thinks it would be)

Are you certain its solid mahogany? Might be a veneer.Im afraid sanding wont do much to be honest.Its a dark wood by nature.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If its definitely mahogany, then sanding will make little or no difference.

Imitation marble is a terrific effect allright, and if a skilfull painter can produce that effect, he can definitely paint your mahogany, to a lighter shade wood colour.

Any light coloured dye will have no effect either, as its impossible to darken timber with wood dyes.

I think Madm 's option is the only one in this case then

kadman :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Like the idea of paint and grain, just had a look at Ronseal website and they have a lovely antique pine colour but since the mahogany I'm dealing is very like their one would I be able to change the colour successfully? Don't feel like getting an ear bashing for wrecking the fire place!!

http://www.ronseal.ie/prodshowgroup.asp?shop=&groupID=4&prodid=40&groupname=Paint&intext=# the

Like the idea of paint and grain, just had a look at Ronseal website and they have a lovely antique pine colour but since the mahogany I'm dealing is very like their one would I be able to change the colour successfully? Don't feel like getting an ear bashing for wrecking the fire place!!

It will change the colour just make sure you prep it successfully first,get ESP primer before touching it.This is a primer you rub on with a cloth it preps shiny surfaces prior to painting.

You will probably need a couple of coats to totally bloth out the mahogany.As far as getting the ear bashing,please select below the options

Click here:Mad m not responsible for fcuking up your mantel

Click here: Mad m disappear now.

Oops forgot to say,if its Solid Mahogany make sure you sand it down as well,some steel wool also for the nook and crannies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

kadman wrote:
    Yes there is a process to lighten wood colour. It is known as fuming. :)

It is done by allowing ammonia fumes react with the tannin in timber. This is normally done in a chamber. Ammonia is found in bleach, and is regarded as a HIGHLY TOXIC CHEMICAL. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You should not attempt this process, unless you have the necessary skills and experience. You should have a HIGH REGARD FOR THE SAFETY REQUIREMENTS involved.

If you intend to try this any way, this is an explanation of the work involved,

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/What_is_fuming.html

I would advise extreme caution when using any toxic chemicals :D

Be safe,

kadman

Interesting. Never heard of this treatment before.
    I've seen wood "limed" which bleaches it. Not sure what the process is and I doubt you could do it on teak or mahogany.
    As a decorator I'd say get someone who knows what they're doing to do a fake wood effect on it. Pine is easy to do with a graining tool and looks good. Stuff like maple or oak with a finer grain is harder to get looking authentic. To have it done right will prolly cost you though; might be cheaper to replace and sell the old one...

BTW sodium hypochlorite is the active ingredient of household bleach, not ammonia. Whatever you do never mix ammonia and bleach together

Advertisement