Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of Narnia

Options
  • 01-06-2005 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey everyone, have you heard? Disney is making a movie about Narnia! It comes out this december, i heard it was going to be great. Most of the people i have talked to say they cant wait, it is a must see movie. Hope you check it out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Yeah, but from what I’ve heard, they're starting with "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe".
    I know that's the most famous book, but I’d prefer if they started with the first book "The Magician’s nephew" and carried on from there.
    Wonder if they’re gonna make all seven books into films…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

D-FENS wrote:
    Wonder if they’re gonna make all seven books into films…
    Guess it'll all depend on how well this one does but from the trailer it looks pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead Jack

BBC started with LW&W too, I wonder if this sequence will follow the same lines;
    1. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
    2. Prince Caspian
    3. The Voyage of The Dawn Treddar
    4. The Silver Chair
    This seemed to work before without dissapointing too many people

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I think it is getting created as a trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

there's some pictures of it in this monts empire, nothing too major, a shot of the kids in their armour and one of the queen on her sleigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

There's also a high-res trailer available here (Right-click and select "Save Link As..")

Looks very Lord of the Rings-ish. Then again, same crew and same locations. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/thechroniclesofnarnia/

saw this trailer in the cinema before batman, i thought it was a film like "angels ashes" untill i saw the girl looking at the wardrobe, then i copped what it was. i spent the first 30mins of batman trying to calm down

this is going to be brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

digging up an old topic here:

has anyone heard any other news on how many of these they are making. dead jack i'm amazed the bbc didnt finish with the last battle?

o'fiach CS lewis has stated his preferred order is TMN, TLTWATW, THAHB, PC, TVOTDT, TSC & TLB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I think i heard that depending on the success of this first film, they'll make the next one based on the book (the one that was published next, i think?) that still has those 4 kids in it.

And they want to make it as quickly as possible, say summer 2007, because of course soon the kids won't be so ickle anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

bedlam wrote:
    Either in the Sunday Independent or the Sunday Times they were talking about making the full compliment with the last story showing up around 2020!
    It was 'The Sunday Times' - I'm just after reading the article! It's in the Culture section. And the 2020 date was just conjecture and pulled out of the air. All they really said about sequels was that they were eying "Prince Caspian" for a 2007 release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Not too much buzz about this at all - even though it's due in like a week now. Can see it being big in the context of this quiet quiet year, but not huge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Can't see them doing all 7 books esp that after the voyage of the dawnthreader all of the orginal 4 children cease to be in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I've just watched the trailer on the Official Site (didn't see Fenster's link until after). I'm really looking forward to it, I can't wait until December 9th. :D

I just wish that I had actually read the full stories instead of abridged children's versions when I was younger. But I digress. Aslan looks awesome, and I think the actor's voice suits him.

EDIT: Watched Fenster's high quality teaser trailer. I'm giddy now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Were there condensed versions? They're all only about 100 pages long, I can't see them being made any shorter for kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Pinx

I can't wait to see The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I've seen the trailer a couple of times and saw it again last night at the cinema, so all hyped up now. :)

Going to start reading it again now to refresh my memory. Looking forward to seeing Mr. Tumnus et. al.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

D-FENS wrote:
    Yeah, but from what I’ve heard, they're starting with "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe".
    I know that's the most famous book, but I’d prefer if they started with the first book "The Magician’s nephew" and carried on from there.

That was precisely my thoughts too. I don't understand why they just didn't start with the first book... :rolleyes:

But I'm still going to go see it. It looks like it will be great!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

They may be filming them out of order but from what I remember they're doing it in what they think is the written order. The ordering was redone after a fan wrote to C.S. Lewis and said "uh... hey... shouldn't the books really be ordered like this?" "Like... OMG... you're right. *reorders*". C.S. Lewis isn't exactly sure of the written order either, not any more.

But starting off with the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe may be "annoying" to an extent but if they didn't it'd be a much bigger risk, there'd be less funding and they'd be less likely to have subsequent films made. Make a strong one, hook them in and pull them along. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Why are people annoyed with The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe being first? It was the first book published and therefor the first book many people read and therfor makes sense that it should be first! The chronological order was only done years later, after all teh books had been published.

It certainly makes sense to me to do it this way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is the obvious voice to film and release first. Everyone knows the book. People who would have no idea of the names of the other Narnia books, or that there even IS a series of books, know about The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Plus, if they didn't do this one first, then they'd have to The Magician's Nephew, and I don't think that would work very well as a film, it's by far the weakest book in the series.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Empire have released their review for "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe".

They only gave it 3 starts

Read here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I'd love to see a film adaptation of Lewis' sci-fi novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i heard disney is only doing them because the copyrights are all expiring.. would love to see all 7 made. looking forward to thursday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Johnathan Ross has just slated The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. No redeeming qualities at all.

Its really weird cos they give it a really good review on the website. Not by Ross of course.

For those who want to see the repeat i think its on towards the end of the week but I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Here's a good article on why it is correct (in this writer's opinion) that TLTWATW should re regarded as the first book in the series, and that therefore it was the right decision to make it the first film:

http://www.nationalreview.com/miller/miller200510280725.asp

If anyone reads a review which states a recommended minimum age for a child to view this film (or sees the film themselves and has their own view) I'd appreciate it if you let me know.

Interesting article there. I actually started a thread in the Literature forum about what order to read the books in as I want to read the book before seeing the movie. I can safely say that that article pretty much clears it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Poor movie - not gonna go into detail as I have to run for class...but I can't see them getting a franchise outta this one...

2/5.

Advertisement