Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best Record Label?

Options
  • 01-06-2005 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Whats the best Record Label ie. Shady Records, Aftermath, Murder Inc etc

Whats the best Record Label? 7 votes

Shady Records
    0%
    Murder Inc.
    0%
    Aftermath
    14%
    Gangsta 1 vote
    Other
    85%
    leef23Trip Hazardhiphopfanno1deisedollyRVN10scuba steve 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

none of the ones you mentioned are half way decent labels.

I'm liking Stones Throw at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Well shady and aftermath are really the same. Murder inc is pretty much dead, apparently ashanti and charlie b are on def jam now and they have moved out of their manhatten office (or so ive heard)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Kristok wrote:
    Well shady and aftermath are really the same. Murder inc is pretty much dead, apparently ashanti and charlie b are on def jam now

I was just going to say the same thing. The thing is, maybe, just maybe you're really asking "which is the best camp/crew?". None of these are really record labels. DEF JAM for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Def Jux, Quannum and Rhymesayers.

Yeah really should be which crew not label cause universal and a few others own the lot of them. Best crew is probably d-block it would have been rocafella but well that time has passed. But Gunit run the charts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Kristok wrote:
    But Gunit run the charts.

They don't run the streets. The streets ain't the charts. hahaThe feckin place is saturated with those gob****es

evil_seed wrote:
    They don't run the streets.

Then who does ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I would say ill will just because its Nas(greatest rapper of the 90's and 00's) and there is a chance AZ could sign up soon(most under rated( :o ) rapper of the 90's and 00's).

You can always say Aftermath if your all for an era of MTV friendly barely literate 'Hip-Hop'. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

AZ could sign up soon(most over rated rapper of the 90's and 00's)

presume you meant UNDER rated there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

Other
    what about def jam???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Murder Inc. are part of Def Jam, or are at the moment but may not be shortly. I voted other in this poll as there's too few listed. I mean, Shady and Aftermath= same difference = Interscope.There's a lot more labels releasing good stuff, even the majors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

Modern Era-Stones Throw
    Hip-hop History-Def Jam, Cold Chillin, Tommy Boy, SugarHill, Wild Pitch etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

No one even mentioned Roca-Fella

No one even mentioned Roca-Fella

might have something to do with it no longer existing

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Kristok wrote:
    might have something to do with it no longer existing

I think it does exist. Def Jam bought it outright. Its not the same without Jay-Z though.

Nope they dont exist anymore, half the artists went with dame to his new venture (roc4life or something) and the other half went to def jam with jay z as president. The brand name rocafella records was sold to def jam so cant be used by dame dash but no londer exists as a working label.

Its a crying shame it was one of the only labels that seemed to produce actual talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

There's still a Roc-A-Fella website and according to Amazon both Young Gunz' and Memphis Bleek's albums were recently released through Roc-A-Fella. It doesn't really matter, its just Def Jam in the end of the day.

Rocafella is just a copyrighted name now, everything that made it the great label it was is no more. Its sadly all def jam now and that is a bad thing, as redman said they lost their sole.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

Other
    Two Words..... DEATH ROW

Ok so their time is up and the artists have moved to different labels or made their own but as a far as a brillient set of artists and some classic albums from the label, its got to be one of the best labels there ever was, IMO

Def jam had more big name artists, jay z, dmx, redman, cormega, run dmc, ja rule(you all love him really) and on and on, and they are still around with most of their artists. Death row where big for a few years then fell apart, most of the artists they had signed never blew up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

You seem to be forgetting that Def Jam have been around since the 80s! It was them who brought Public Enemy, the Beasties, LL, EPMD etc.

I'd like to give an honourable mention to Loud (RIP) & Rawkus (RIP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kanibus

at the moment i like swizz beatz,and deathrow all the guyz deathrow signed were really good they just fell apart after tupac died!Oh yeah and i like flamboyant and rawkus

Ay Cee wrote:
    You seem to be forgetting that Def Jam have been around since the 80s! It was them who brought Public Enemy, the Beasties, LL, EPMD etc.

I'd like to give an honourable mention to Loud (RIP) & Rawkus (RIP).

Eh no im not i just mentioned some of the artists they had and they have allot more.

Advertisement