Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FTPing to xbox

Options
  • 01-06-2005 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

I'm getting speeds of 50-90kbps. Is that not a bit slow. Gonna take hours to backup a single game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

There's something wrong there. You should be getting around 10,000 Kbps (or 1000 KBps) at least for even the most basic 10Mbps ethernet connection and 10 times that for 100Mbps.
    What setup are you using as your post does not give much info? I'm suspecting a dodgy cable (too long perhaps?) or overused Hub but it could be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get proper equipment - you get what you pay for.

Ensure that Full-Duplex 100Mbit is enabled.
    Hubs are useless. last decade's technology. Use a 100Mbit or Gigabit switch from a reputable manufacturer.

Also, replace the 40-wire UDMA33 IDE cable with an 80-wire UDMA100 IDE cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Are you using something like FlashFXP or SmartFTP? Is it telling you the 30 day trial has ended?

I had that problem too, and it was just the program crippling the speed because the trial was over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

hmm. Using windows exploer, flashxp as well. Tried two computers with different cards and the cable is a short new one. So many parameters that could be at fault though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

Firstly, do not use internet explorer as it does cause problems and may even corrupt some of your files on the xbox.
    If masterOf Solos is correct (and I suspect that he is) then dont use flashfxp. In fact the only ftp client that I would reccomend is Filezilla but it has to be downloaded from www.sourceforge.net that way you can be 99.99% guaranteed that you are getting just an ftp client without spyware. It's not the best ftp client but it works perfectly well with the xbox and it's totally free.

Also, xbox ftp servers generally have a limit of 2 users. If for some reason you get disconnected in a bad way (which can happen if you use internet explorer or accidentally pull out the cable) then the server does not realise that you have disconnected and if it happens again you will not be able to reconnect as the ftp server has reached it's user limit. Therefore I would reccomend that you power the xbox off and on each time before attempting to connect to it again as this will reset the ftp server back to zero users connected (untill you solve the problem anyway).

There is the less likely possibility that the version of the ftp server on your xbox dashbaord may be out of date or have a bug. Xbox media centre also has an ftp server so if you have XBMC, load it up and go to settings->network->network servers and turn on the ftp server. Provided you leave the network settings to default (ie get ip address from the dashboard), you can connect to it using the exact same IP address and username/password.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

use static ip and if your havin probs with hubs or switches don't use em a cross-over will do fine, also flash fxp, if ya need a new network card im sure maplin are doing em for around €12

Advertisement