Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Air conditioning system

Options
  • 01-06-2005 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

I'm investigating alternative ways of heating my new house (timber frame) and i spoke with a company last weekend at the SelfBuild and Renovate show in Galway that supply a mini duct central heating and air conditioning system. They claim that it can repalce the need for radiators, UFH etc.. with just a small vent in each room fed from a central unit .. has anyone had any experience of a system like this or similar setup's and do they do all that they say they will..
    Also, does anyone know of window company's in Ireland that supply triple-glazed windows and how do they compare in price to standard double glased windows

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

i'm guessing that this involves blowing warm/cold air through the vents?

This might be a cheap (to install, if not to run) way of heating the house, and not necessarily the best, from a comfort point of view.

The ideal heat profile for humans is warm toes, cool head. Radiant heat from below (as in underfloor heating) is the most comfortable, while convection is less comfortable. With convection, hot air rises, so the head is warm while the feet are cooler. You know the story - either your feet are too cold, or your head is too warm...

The air also circulates as cold air moves in to take the place of the warm air. There are always air currents (aka draughts) with radiators, and this system will be similar. With moving air you also get dust on everything :(

Radiators give out a small portion of radiant heat, and a larger portion of convective heat - not the most comfortable, but not terribly bad either. The warm air system you're talking about is purely convection, similar to an electric fan heater, and they suck as well as blow :D

Your first priority when it comes to heating should be insulation - especially the roof, and the floor. Put in the *best* insulation your money can buy. If you do nothing else "alternative", this will be a good investment for your whole lifetime. Then put in windows and doors with good insulation value. These 2 measures combined will keep your house toasty in winter, and cooler in summer. No point spending 10k on a geothermal system and 8k on underfloor heating if the heat is p*ssed out as quick as it goes in. Geothermal/heat pump, solar, wind, or even a condensing boiler can be added on at a later stage, if the budget doesn't stretch to it at first.

Hopefully before too long, we will get grants for green energy solutions, like they do in the UK. Stupid Ireland :(

Advertisement