Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ok, so now I HAVE to win a ticket to the wsop....

Options
  • 01-06-2005 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Carnival World Buffet
    Rio - 3700 W. Flamingo Rd.
    Las Vegas, NV, 89103
    (702) 777-7777

Cuisine: Buffet
    Average cost: $15 to $25

Review: Reputed to serve a mind-numbing 5,000-plus meals on a good day, the Carnival World Buffet offers just about anything anyone could want, at prices almost anyone can afford.

Entering this buffet almost feels like going to sea, being faced with wave after wave of hot and cold food, a veritable tsunami of carbs, fat and protein.

The dim sum station features dishes such as char siu bao, bread dumplings with a sweet, barbecued pork filling; and a toothsome shrimp dumpling called ha gow. At the noodle bar, another Asian station, you order your noodle of choice by number. The noodles are diverse, things like the flat rice pad Thai, Vietnamese-style pho, and various Chinese pastas. The chef will then place your noodle in a delicious broth, and you will embellish it at a nearby condiment bar. The possibilities are endless.

The hummus here is just fine. So is a raft of Italian pastas, with sauces to match, all sitting in their respective trays at a steam-table station. An impressive array of dishes such as chile verde, quesadillas, enchiladas and carne asada is the ticket at the beautifully stocked Mexican station, with condiments, hot sauces and leafy green herbs to match.

There are three kinds of peel-and-eat shrimp, all differently spiced, by the first-rate seafood section, which also features a stainless steel wall into which portholes filled with blue water have been etched. Also in this station are assorted fried fish, like scallops, halibut and shrimp.

Hand-rolls and sushi are available at a well-stocked sushi and Japanese food station, which also features pop-out-of-their pods edamame (salty, green, boiled soybeans), plus teppanyaki, meats and veggies cooked on a grill, Benihana style.

And of course, there are the desserts. A wonderful hot crêpe suzette server is filled with citrusy, butter-drizzled crêpes, as good a version of the dish as you would have had in an old Vegas gourmet room. A gelato bar serves eight different flavors of the dense, creamy Italian ice cream, and tiramisu in little chocolate cups is a treat, as well.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

the poker should also be good...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Nah, you all have it wrong - the real, the best, THE ONLY attraction worth talking about in Vegas is Big Elvis, who performs (FOR FREE!!!!!) in the Barbary Coast (on one of the corners of the intersection beside the Bellagio / Ballys / Caesars) on Thursday afternoons. The man is 500lbs of Graceland-inspired heaven, the voice of an angel sent down by Po-Kar to uplift the masses! Take it from me, better than Cirque du Soleil, better than the Blue Man Group, damnit, he's even better than Siegfreid und Roy :) No white tigers though, what can ya do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Theres no mention of the Cobb Salad?.
    If you ask and they dont do it but you want it does the chef make a face, because if he does just forget it and i will order something from the menu.

Original Cobb Salad

Serves 4 to 6

I know this from my own cooking, and all good cooks will identify: It is most often the dish you slap-dash together out of desperate necessity (and usually leftovers) that is the biggest triumph. How many times have I berated myself for not writing down exactly what I did when throwing dinner together from what's lurking in the back of the refrigerator and cupboard? (On the other hand, I have, indeed, written many down and they are collected in "What To Cook When You Think There's Nothing in the House To Eat," to be re-published by HarperPerennial in February.)

Which brings me to Cobb Salad: One of the most famous dishes in American culinary history was created on the spur of the moment.

Cobb salad was created at the Brown Derby in Hollywood. Here's the official story ... or legend, if you will ... as recorded by the Brown Derby itself:

"One night in 1937, Bob Cobb, then owner of The Brown Derby, prowled hungrily in his restaurant's kitchen for a snack. Opening the huge refrigerator, he pulled out this and that: a head of lettuce, an avocado, some romaine, watercress, tomatoes, some cold breast of chicken, a hard-boiled egg, chives, cheese and some old-fashioned French dressing. He started chopping. Added some crisp bacon -- swiped from a busy chef.

"The Cobb salad was born. It was so good, Sid Grauman (Grauman's Chinese Theatre), who was with Cobb that midnight, asked the next day for a 'Cobb Salad.' It was so good that it was put on the menu.

"Cobb's midnight invention became an overnight sensation with Derby customers, people like movie mogul Jack Warner, who regularly dispatched his chauffeur to pick up a carton of the mouth-watering salad."

Since 1937, more than 4 million Cobb salads have been sold at Brown Derby restaurants, according to the Brown Derby Restaurant Group, which, now that the two original Hollywood restaurants have closed, is what the company calls itself. It licenses the restaurant name for merchandise (including bottled Cobb salad dressing), as well as to Disney, which opened a reproduction of the original Brown Derby in Orlando, Florida, in 1989 and, in 1990. signed a 20-year agreement for Brown Derby restaurants in Tokyo, Paris and Anaheim, California. You can read all about The Brown Derby and its glamorous customers in The Brown Derby Restaurant: A Hollywood Legend, which includes many of the Derby's recipes.

Footnote: There's also a legend about how the Brown Derby got its name: One night, Herbert Somborn, an ex-husband of Gloria Swanson, remarked -- speaking of the mood of Hollywood in the roaring 20s -- that "You could open a restaurant in an alley and call it anything. If the food and service were good, the patrons would just come flocking. It could be called something as ridiculous as the Brown Derby." Hence, a restaurant shaped like a hat opened near Hollywood and Vine in 1926.

1/2 head lettuce, about 4 cups

1 bunch watercress

1 small bunch chicory, about 2 1/2 cups

1/2 head romaine, about 2 1/2 cups

2 medium peeled tomatoes

6 strips of crisp bacon
    2 breasts of boiled chicken

3 hard cooked eggs

1 avocado

1/2 cup crumbled Roquefort cheese

2 tablespoons chopped chives

1 cup (approximately) Original Cobb Salad Dressing

Cut lettuce, half the watercress, chicory and romaine in fine pieces and arrange in a large salad bowl. Cut tomatoes, bacon, chicken, eggs, and avocado in small pieces and arrange, along with the crumbled Roquefort cheese, in strips on the greens. Sprinkle finely cut chives over the Cobb salad and garnish with the remaining watercress. Just before serving mix the salad with the Cobb salad dressing.

Original Cobb Salad Dressing
    Makes 1 1/2 cups

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

2 teaspoons salt

3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 teaspoon dry English mustard

1 small clove garlic, finely minced

1/4 cup full-flavored olive oil

3/4 cup salad oil

Blend all ingredients together, except oils. Add olive and salad oils. Mix well. Blend well again before mixing with salad.

A note from the Brown Derby: "The water is optional, depending upon the degree of oiliness desired in the dressing."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

And thus did the 'Poker', 'Food and Drink' and 'travel / holidays' boards become one, and all did rejoice in the new super-board, moderated by many.

Can we rope in any more boards?
    What's a good car to drive in Vegas?
    Anyone recommend a good movie?
    What's Japanese for 'all-in'?
    Do you like Mustard?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

"I lose the mortgage in Vegas, what to tell the wife???" PI/Poker thread

• Advertisement

"I want my kids to grow up in Vegas,is this a good idea...?"Parenting forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

"I want to get a tattoo of a royal flush on my ass, will it hurt?" Tattoos and Piercings Forum.

"if I earn 35k a year then go off and spend 2k getting to Vegas,10k into the WSOP,5k on some top class hookers,5k on one blackjack hand (because its a dream of mine),5k on drink for the lads,another 5k for top class hookers and another 5k for a heads up match with Doyle Brunson.Would this be a good Investment...?" Investment / Markets / Money Forum

PS:Oscar take note of the above,that is how to spend time in Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Would I look good in these?

fb113.jpg

Fashion/Appearance

Advertisement