Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying Paving - Any tips

Options
  • 01-06-2005 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm intending layout paving slabs throughout my back garden, anyone got any tips or suggestions to make lift a bit easier? I have about 90m2 in all and appreciate any advice whatsoever........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

No Expert but I found that if you prepare the surface you will be better off. Rake and get as many stones out. Put a good layer of sand down so that the slabs will sit better. Use a rubber mallet to tap down the slabs into the correct position. A spirit level is also useful to use (if you like a neat job) Once you are finished you can brush a dry mixture of cement and sand between the slabs, let the rain do the rest.

Garh3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Same as Garyh3,
    Also, if it is meeting up with a path/tarmac, etc. Start on that side and work out, it'll be easier maintain your levels. Also a slight (very slight if the slabs are smooth) slope to your draining point is necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭pdunno

what do i bed the slabs on, i realise sand but do I need gravel/screed underneath or I can i put the sand directly on the soil when I 've dug out to the reqd level? Also anyone ever used concrete, dye and mat moulds to create similar effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Have a look at this site, some very good tips and info on paving.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭pdunno

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Laid some paving slabs as a path last year. I removed the grass , put on about 2 to 4 inches of gravel and then two inches of sand, levelled it all off with a board that had a spirit level attached. I think I was using 25 kg of sand and gravel for every three slabs (20 x 40 cm). Laid out the slabs and seperated them with wooden builders pegs. The next day I filled in the gaps with mortar.
    My garden has very heavy clay soil so I think that helped alot.
    Got the slabs, sand etc from a supplier Balgriffin who were dead on!
    Good luck!

Advertisement