Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A sort of CAD question

Options
  • 31-05-2005 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

I'm redesigning my kitchen. Is there a simple program I can use to model this? I just want to move little rectangles around till I find the layout that suits me best. I want nothing else. No layers, no tools, no menus, no gigantic learning curve. I just want to draw the perimeter, then draw little boxes and move them around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

do you mean in 3d or in 2d.....coz i reckon in 2d any "paint" program will do it handy enough

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

there are plenty of home design solutions, however you should try smart draw with the home design blocks, it is very easy to use and will do exactly what you want plus you can try it free at http://www.smartdraw.com/
    note it will look basic enough , but thats what you asked for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

Microsoft Visio is the man for this type of thing. It has all sorts of predefined shapes for appliances, walls, doors, plumbing, electrics, etc.

But only if you can get it for free. I think it's fairly pricey, and not worth it if you're not going to use it on a long term basis.

If you're using Linux instead of windows, there's Dia and Kivio.

There seems to be loads of home design programs in PC World, that might do the job too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Or are you looking for just plain sexy design,

kadman :cool: :cool:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

very kinky Kadman - what u using to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

kadman wrote:
    Or are you looking for just plain sexy design
    Yeah. Plain sexy design is pretty cool. However, anything as damn sexy as that would take me another lifetime to learn. At the moment, it's a choice between a 3-D model using a shoebox or else 2-D using pieces cut out of the back of a cornflakes pack.

yop wrote:
    very kinky Kadman - what u using to do that?

An American programme called Cabinet Vision.

Excellent programme.

kadman :)

If you are looking for very basic cad design software, then no doubt you could download a freebie basic on the net. Alternatively you could buy a cheap cad programme out of Easons or similar for about E 15.

This would have a basic 3d library for cabinets, furniture ect, and would be fairly easy to use. Do you have the use of any cad programme at the moment.

Yes, but I'm too stupid to use it properly.

gregos wrote:
    Yes, but I'm too stupid to use it properly.

What cad programme have you.

Complicated cad drawings, come from the mastery of basic cad commands.

You only need to master half a dozen commands, to draw in 3d.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

The brief is

"I want to move little rectangles around till I find the layout that suits me best. I want nothing else. No layers, no tools, no menus, no gigantic learning curve. I just want to draw the perimeter, then draw little boxes and move them around"

Microsoft Excel to the rescue. I often use excel to show people how furniture etc might fit. see attached.

CAD it ain't but it does the job

I can't upload excel directly so if you can't open the zip file pm me with an email address.

Brilliant. Dead simple. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭OhPinchy

Try the Ikea kitchen planner - youll find it on http://www.ikea.co.uk - its dead simple to use and you can move it around and take a look at it in 3d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 topdog123

OhPinchy is rigth down load the Ikea kitchen planner its simple and free!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cut out a few pieces of coloured paper, move around. :D

Victor wrote:
    Cut out a few pieces of coloured paper, move around. :D

ROFLMAO.

Victor, now you're bringing cad down to the playschool level, are you trying to tell them something.

kadman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hmmmm,

I see Victor, so you got the same report back as I did ?

Amazing how some grown men display the "Inner Child" don't you agree ?

:D:D:D

Advertisement