Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promises, Promises

Options
  • 31-05-2005 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭

So I'm studying over here in Spain.
    I enjoy reading and was getting bored one day when I realised that 2 girls staying over(dif univeristy in spain) had left a book in english, the aforementioned Promises, Promises.
    As I have not read for enjoyment in a few months I devoured the book.
    Now its a girl book, I am male so I did recieve a few slaggings, and had to fold it over (cover to cover backwards) while reading in public on tram so that the general spanish public could not see the flamboyant colours and 2 rings on the cover.

Anyway, I finished the book and the last paragraph ends with
    To be continued

Has to be without a doubt the most annoying thing that has happened to me while reading...

Any similar scenarios, or am I the only one..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's the literary equivilant to a book ending with "and then I woke up and realised it had just been a dream". Although to be fair Joyce could probably get away with it..

It is annoying though. I wouldn't let/would ignore people slag you for reading a book with a flamboyant cover though. What a person reads is their own business really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

That wud piss be off mighty.

Was it ne good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

is there actually a sequel to it? i work in a bookstore and i remember a customer showing me the last page and asking was there a sequel because it seemed like there should be one, but i didn't know being the incompetant sales assistant that i am :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭Naos

Nesf: Are you following me ?? heheh
    I didnt care, I quite openly said the book was good.
    It was good, got into it and was all "omfg, that chris is such a bastard, how can he leave ellen when shes pregnant, will they ever marry?" etc. (hehe)

Tristam: Yeah it was good, worth a read, chick book but still, different.

Electichoney: It can be your mission! Find out. It didnt mention one at the back of the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mear wrote:
    Nesf: Are you following me ?? heheh
    I didnt care, I quite openly said the book was good.
    It was good, got into it and was all "omfg, that chris is such a bastard, how can he leave ellen when shes pregnant, will they ever marry?" etc. (hehe)

I wasn't saying the book was bad, just thats it's a very bad way to end a book. There should be some loose ends running to the next book in the series, but ending it on "to be continued" is bad taste imo.

Then again I'm a bit snobbish ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭wasted_winter

I can't believe I did this but it's a friday night, I'm at home on the net & the worse thing? I'm half-watching "Celebrity Love Island" so what the hell!

Apparantly there are 20 books in the series - there are 20 books in the series and Promises Promises has a load of five star ratings, so it must be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭Naos

Er..
    No that aint it but thanks for trying!
    Was just thinking to self, "Who are Miguel and Leah?" hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭wasted_winter

:p Oh well, it sounded similar!!!
    I guess you'll never know about Ellen and Chris... *sniff*

Advertisement