Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop 3d chipsets (newbie-ish question)

Options
  • 31-05-2005 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm currently looking into buying a laptop just before college starts again, so I'm looking into various caveats and the like.

Most of the laptops I see generally seem to have ATI chipsets on board, and I'm wondering if, as a general rule do they share ram with the cpu or do they tend to have their own amount of ram?

I'm wondering because I know that some cheapo mainboards with built-in 3d graphics do that trick to save money.

So I was wondering if I can find a list of commonly-found chipsets (like the M200 for example - that seems to be listed in a lot of them) that tend to share memory with the cpu, and which ones don't.

Thanks,
    P.B.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

ATI mobility graphics ususally have dedicated graphics. Look for one with Ati 9700 or x300 graphics, and you won't go too far wrong.

Nearly all SIS or Intel graphics chips share the memory

Advertisement