Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondhand books online

Options
  • 30-05-2005 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I hope this isn't against forum rules, but mods please delete if it is. I am not at all affiliated with this site whatsoever: The site is www.abebooks.com and acts as a directory for loads of 2nd hand bookstores. If you are looking for out of print or hard to find books, or just don't mind getting already read books, then I would recommend this crowd.

The books themselves tend to be quite well priced - usually about a dollar each, but the shipping can be 4 dollars - you are best off ordering a load of books from the one store to get reduced rates.

I ordered about 12 books from a shop in the states, and got them in about a week and a half - many of these books were hard to find on amazon etc, or were just too expensive. I think it ended up costing about $4 each including shipping. Remember though, that these books are used, and are not in "collectors" condition - but the condition of each book is given on the site.

Apologies again if this is against the forum rules, but I thought it may be handy for people looking to bulk up their home library.

Eoin

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ooh, might be worth a look. Might be easier than searching for treasures in Oxfam, etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Mr.Whistle

Alibris is also good value; $7.50 per book for shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

abebooks is a great site. You can spend a lot of money there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭wasted_winter

ABEBOOK'S is fantastic! :D

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, I was introduced to it at the end of last year and since then I've had orders in every couple of weeks (my poor credit card!).

I have yet to actually recieve any second-hand books... that's the really bloody weird thing! The quality is beyond excellent - all the books I've recieved are in perfect condition and the price! :eek:

I try to justify my addiction by only thinking about how much I'm SAVING.... I just forget about the actual spending part :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭wasted_winter

The main advantages are the fact you can set up your account to read prices in euro, you can then find sellers by location... I'm really bad when I order from Amazon, etc.... I create this huge shopping list, convert the currency and keel over! I did use Easons for a long time but I got really p!ssed about the waiting time, the prices, the poor selection, the bad website and finally... ordering a book and phoning up and emailing the company to eventually find that the book they have advertised actually hasn't been publish... or won't be for many months!

WHY?!?!?! Agh! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement