Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my deposit back

Options
  • 30-05-2005 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Everyone here seems quite experienced with property etc so I am trying here as a first port of call for basic info.
    Basically I put a booking deposit on a house in west cavan over a year ago and paid the full deposit in feb this year.
    The builder seemed very keen to accomodate me with changes to the design etc until I paid the full deposit now work on the house has all but stopped as other houses in the development are now catching up, there is absolutely no completion date given and construction is painfully slow.
    Also, my house had a relatively large garden but now the foundations for the public footpath are within 2 meters from the corner of the house as opposed to 6 or 7, totally unacceptable.
    Because of the above and also other circumstances have changed, I no longer want to purchase the house,
    what can I do to get my deposit back if anything.
    House cost 240k paid 24k deposit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

bofs wrote:
    now the foundations for the public footpath are within 2 meters from the corner of the house as opposed to 6 or 7, totally unacceptable.

This alone is reason enough to get a full refund. You were misled, and the house was sold to you under false information.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One word, I guess ... contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I presume a sollicitor was involved when you signed the contracts and agreed to purchase the house, you should be speaking to them about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi bofs,

Most builders / developers will give the depoisits back because they can sell the houses fairly easy and for more than the original price.

If the site is not what you bought off the plan then it should be no problem, like Alun said the Contract should cover this and any other issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Wouldn't the title deeds/folio show the boundry lines of your house and garden? Hence he can't just put the footpath in your garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

hi

Be very careful when looking at the site plans of your potential property. Look where your garden boundary ends and the footpath begins. If the plans you're solicitor got (i.e the ones that came with your contract) are to scale, theres prob very little that can be done. It's also quite tricky to get out of a signed contract, if your complaint is time of completion. You probably should have looked for a completion time clause to be added to your contract.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You should really try and find out what's up with the builder, and why he's stopped work. Ask around. It isn't in his interest to delay things so much.

Advertisement