Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coltrane recommendation

Options
  • 27-05-2005 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

I need to get a coltrane album or two - but I have no idea what to get. Recommendations pls. Nothing too esoteric.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

A Love Supreme is a MUST HAVE. My Favourite Things is pretty excellent too. That's all I have Coltrane wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

Giant Steps is really nice. A Love Supreme is amazing though - Coltrane was made a saint in the African Orthodox Church after it. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

cheers lads(ladies) I'll check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

I need to get a coltrane album or two - but I have no idea what to get. Recommendations pls. Nothing too esoteric.

Giant Steps for sure, a Love Supreme is great, maybe not for a first time listener of Coltrane...I reckon Giant Steps and Blue Trane are the most accesable...

But if I were you I'd just buy all his albums...

Alot of his stuff with Miles is pretty good too...Kind Of Blue etc..
    Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane is a great album too...

Fusion
    :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman is a marvellous album if you are into vocals - Ballads and Duke Ellington/John Coltrane were also recorded for Impulse and are also worth a listen while there is a compliation which includes material from these and other Impluse recordings called The Gentle Side of John Coltrane which is excellent too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

What are yis talking about?

My Coltrane recommendations would be:
    * A Love Supreme (crucial)
    * Impressions
    * Stellar Regions
    * Live at Birdland

DadaKopf wrote:
    What are yis talking about?

My Coltrane recommendations would be:
    * A Love Supreme (crucial)
    * Impressions
    * Stellar Regions
    * Live at Birdland

Yeah Impressions and Live at Birdland are great too...but as I said...they're all great ....

Fusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Dunno if they're *all* great. Some of the early Atlantic recordings are mneh. Most of them actually.

Although one of Coltrane's albums that was never his is Kind of Blue. But that's on Columbia.

I just like the way he plays, it's great to listen through his stuff and listen to him developing, never hear anyone change and improve that much on recordings...some of his lines on his later stuff are completely insane and technically "impossible" for most sax players...he played with Monk in a club in New York every night for 6mths, some of the stuff recorded around that time is really amazing...

Fusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Fusion251 wrote:
    Giant Steps for sure, a Love Supreme is great, maybe not for a first time listener of Coltrane...I reckon Giant Steps and Blue Trane are the most accesable...

But if I were you I'd just buy all his albums...

Yeah just not Interstellar Space.

Start with Giant Steps & A Love Supreme... then My Favourite Things, Blue Train and Live At Birdland

• Advertisement
Advertisement