Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Note on the radio!!!!!

Options
  • 27-05-2005 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hey guys I do a black music show on Corks RedFM every Saturday night called Black on Red which deals mainly with hip-hop and soul. Every week i do a music special dealing with the roots of this music during the last hour of the show and tomorrow (Saturday) i'm gonna be diggin up my favourite jazz records from Blue Note Records. The mix is an hour long and will be broadcast between 9 and 10 pm and you can listen on-line at www.redfm.ie. There's more background to the mix in the hip-hop forum under "More roots of hip-hop on the radio". I'll throw up the tracklisting next week.
    Enjoy your weekend

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

And it went like this!

Cannonball Adderley-Walk Tall
    Blue Mitchell-Good Humour Man
    Grant Green-Sookie Sookie
    Horace Silver-Song for my Father
    Herbie Hancock-Cantaloupe Island
    Bobby Humphrey-You Make me Feel so Good
    A Taste of Honey-I Love You
    Monk Higgins-Little Green Apples
    Lou Donaldson-Pot Belly
    Donald Byrd-Steppin Into Tomorrow
    Bobby Humphrey-Please Set Me at Ease
    Gene Harris-Los Alamitos-LatinFunkLoveSong
    Waters-Sitting Here All Alone
    Bobby Hutcherson-Goin Down South
    Ike Quebec-Shu Shu
    John Coltrane-LazyBird
    Donald Byrd-You and the Music
    Donald Byrd-Dominoes
    Donald Byrd-Think Twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Nice Nice...
    Get more tracklistings along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Right, now don't all jump down my throat for this.... but...
    Hey guys I do a black music show
    What's this all about? If someone is a pop DJ and they only play Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears etc does that mean that they are doing a White show?
    If you do a "Black show" does that mean that you don't play music from anyone that is white?
    Does this mean then that this show is aimed at just black people or can anyone listen?
    It could be that I'm just missing out on a new genre of music called "Black" but isn't that strange if I am?
    Q "What are you listening to?"
    A " Oh just some Black"
    :confused:

Possibly this post should be moved to Humanities for a debate on the subject, but I'd be really interested to know if anyone else finds this strange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats an exellent playlist (I agree about "black music," its like the MOBO thing hate it). Music is music.

Mike.

No I play black music thats why i called it a black music show. It's just a general reference to help people grasp the kind of music i'm on about. Music is colourblind.
    To be honest if you wanna be truthful practically all contempary music be it rock n'roll or hip-hop has its origins in black music but as we all know labels are just labels and music is just music. Thats the bottom line. We all have to use labels though to make things easier, i mean i would look at a lot of the modern left field soul, house and hip-hop as jazz but it would probably not suit the category here because its a more traditional jazz/blues forum by the looks of it.
    Since the station is called RedFM and the music is loosely called black music (hip-hop, r&b, soul , jazz, reggae etc) its suited to the title Black on Red. But to discriminate against music because of its colour would be absolutely against all my principles. For the record (not that it matters) I'm white and even though the majority of my favourite artists are black (Miles, Marvin, Stevie, Coltrane, Minnie Riperton, Tribe, Mary J, Aretha etc etc), there are many signifciant white artists who play this music too. White artists have always played an important part in black music whether it be Arthur Baker, Van Morrison or even someone like Jerry Wexler.
    Blue Notes owners and many of its most important players were white too and i only wish you could have heard this music mix because you would then understand straight away that these are songs of unity and positivity, songs that hope for a better world where discrimination and the colour of someones skin are insignificant. Sorry if my long-winded post doesn't clear up your inquiry but the gist of it is music is music and there's only two types, good and bad. Wheter its a black Fela Kuti or a white Joss Stone, i don't care as long as it's good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fair enough!

Mike.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

I've heard the show a few times while down in Cork with my girlfriend, enjoyed it alot alright. I've heard you play in a couple of clubs too, good stuff... lots of Stevie, the way I like it!

Cheers Satchmo, you've taken the name of one of my musical heroes so fair play-Louis Armstrong's autobiography was one of the most influential books i've ever read!

StevieG wrote:
    No I play black music thats why i called it a black music show.
    Oh, well that clears it up then....
    StevieG wrote:
    It's just a general reference to help people grasp the kind of music i'm on about. Music is colourblind.
    Then why not call it, Jazz/blues/reggae/soul/hip-hop/r&b or whatever it actually is. Surely by calling it "Black" you are restricting your self to playing music created only by black artists.
    StevieG wrote:
    To be honest if you wanna be truthful practically all contempary music be it rock n'roll or hip-hop has its origins in black music but as we all know labels are just labels and music is just music.

Really? But all these genres seemed to be able to hang on to a name that didn't suggest that it was for one type of people didn't they...
    StevieG wrote:
    Thats the bottom line. We all have to use labels though to make things easier, i mean i would look at a lot of the modern left field soul, house and hip-hop as jazz but it would probably not suit the category here because its a more traditional jazz/blues forum by the looks of it.

Oh and by Traditional you mean "Black" is it?

StevieG wrote:
    Since the station is called RedFM and the music is loosely called black music (hip-hop, r&b, soul , jazz, reggae etc) its suited to the title Black on Red. But to discriminate against music because of its colour would be absolutely against all my principles.

So does that mean you do play music by artists of other colours on your show?

StevieG wrote:
    White artists have always played an important part in black music whether it be Arthur Baker, Van Morrison or even someone like Jerry Wexler.

I feel that by making this comment you are completely missing the point!!!
    StevieG wrote:
    Blue Notes owners and many of its most important players were white too and i only wish you could have heard this music mix because you would then understand straight away that these are songs of unity and positivity, songs that hope for a better world where discrimination and the colour of someone's skin are insignificant.

I'm sure that if I'd listened to the show, I would have felt the unity and positivity from the songs. What I wouldn't get that from is the name of your show and you continuance to refer to a wide range of genres as "Black". As a musician I find this insulting

StevieG wrote:
    Sorry if my long-winded post doesn't clear up your inquiry but the gist of it is music is music and there's only two types, good and bad. Wheter its a black Fela Kuti or a white Joss Stone, i don't care as long as it's good!

Well I'm sorry that if my long winded reply doesn't make it through to you and you don't realise that calling music Black or White or any other colour breeds segregation and it's wrong.

PS:
    I really didn't intend to go on about this so much but to be honest I find it a worrying trend in the music industry at the moment!

I thought i made it clear but "black" is simply a reference point in the same way as "jazz/blues" is-you are reading too much into it-i play loads of music by white artists too as i tried to tell you music is colourblind.
    If we didn't use any of these kinda references we would come along here to these forums and simply head for one huge music forum where people would be discussing who is better between 50 cent and 2 Pac next to an appreciation of the best jazz singers. Sure that would be great, but probably frustrating for those of us who don't want to go through 100 threads every time we want to check a forum.
    Calling something black is just like calling something Irish or Afrikan or latin or brazilian. It really doesn't matter what it is but its a way of discribing it. But i don't have a problem with it myself, i feel the more people thses days who appreciate that the roots of jazz/blues/rap/soul etc are black the better. its a bout time the true pioneers were recognised anyway. But its not a racist term at all-as a white DJ/Producer working in this field i've often found it harder to be taken seriously because of my colour through the years but you simply get over it. Its not like the racism the true pioneers of jazz/blues felt. And they know a lot more about whats insulting than you and I.

• Advertisement

yes i do play music from people of every colour including loads of local hip-hop/soul/jazz etc

How many black people do you think live in Cork? Do you think i could do a show targeting them alone. No way, music is for everyone.

You mentioned a horrible word. Segregation.
    Music breaks down barriers and helps us live as one World together.

What I wouldn't get that from is the name of your show and you continuance to refer to a wide range of genres as "Black". As a musician I find this insulting

They are black-where did they come from? Did they appear out of nowhere? Where did the blues come from? Jazz? Reggae? Hip-hop? Rock n'roll? Its black music thats where it came from and anyone who has a decent grasp of musical history will tell you that. It doesn't mean white people like you and I are excluded. Far from it. Music is for everyone.
    But you shouldn't be insulted about the fact that you are playing music which wouldn't exist were it not for poor black communities of Harlem, New Orleans, Memphis etc etc etc. You should be proud-i know I am . Those of us lucky enough to be involved in music should never lose sight of the hard work other generations put in to pave the way.

StevieG wrote:
    I thought i made it clear but "black" is simply a reference point in the same way as "jazz/blues"
    Surely as a DJ you should know the difference between the name of a genre of music and the colour of someone's skin being used as terminology for the dominating race of people producing those types of genres?

Just in case you don't get that, what I mean is, Jazz = genre, Blues = genre , Soul = genre, etc
    But Black = a colour
    StevieG wrote:
    They are black-where did they come from? Did they appear out of nowhere? Where did the blues come from? Jazz? Reggae? Hip-hop? Rock n'roll? Its black music thats where it came from and anyone who has a decent grasp of musical history will tell you that. It doesn't mean white people like you and I are excluded. Far from it. Music is for everyone.
    But you shouldn't be insulted about the fact that you are playing music which wouldn't exist were it not for poor black communities of Harlem, New Orleans, Memphis etc etc etc. You should be proud-i know I am . Those of us lucky enough to be involved in music should never lose sight of the hard work other generations put in to pave the way.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Any chance you could be just a little bit more patronising? I'm sure you can find it in you....
    (Just in case you don't get that either, I don't mean me)

StevieG wrote:
    yes i do play music from people of every colour including loads of local hip-hop/soul/jazz etc

Then why is your show called Black on Red?
    StevieG wrote:
    How many black people do you think live in Cork? Do you think i could do a show targeting them alone. No way, music is for everyone.
    StevieG wrote:
    You mentioned a horrible word. Segregation.
    Music breaks down barriers and helps us live as one World together.

PS Don't take this as a personal attack or anything, I haven't even heard your show. I'm sure it's great! The point I'm trying to make is that I don't agree with music being labled Black, anymore then I would approve country music being labled White (which it is sometimes)

I've answered all of these points already. The show's title is a play on the colour of the station-We also have Green on Red dealing with Irish stuff and Pink on Red which is targetted at the gay audience. Highly politically incorrect again but a gentle play on words and something not to be taken too seriously!
    I'll leave you at it though you simply don't get it and thats cool-many many practioners of this music call it black music and i have no problem whatsover with calling it this. The title of the show didn't prevent it being voted best Irish music radio show in 2002 in the PPI radio awards. It's a credible show. Thats why i posted here. I'm sure a few jazz fans would be interested in a special devoted to Blue Note records.
    I haven't experienced anyone before getting so pedantic about the title but thats fair enough we all have things to be occupying our minds. For me, i prefer to talk about music. And i know its not a personal attack either thats cool too. We all have our own opinions so thats fair enough.

StevieG wrote:
    I've answered all of these points already. The show's title is a play on the colour of the station-We also have Green on Red dealing with Irish stuff and Pink on Red which is targetted at the gay audience. Highly politically incorrect again but a gentle play on words and something not to be taken too seriously!
    I'll leave you at it though you simply don't get it and thats cool-many many practioners of this music call it black music and i have no problem whatsover with calling it this. The title of the show didn't prevent it being voted best Irish music radio show in 2002 in the PPI radio awards. It's a credible show. Thats why i posted here. I'm sure a few jazz fans would be interested in a special devoted to Blue Note records.
    I haven't experienced anyone before getting so pedantic about the title but thats fair enough we all have things to be occupying our minds. For me, i prefer to talk about music. And i know its not a personal attack either thats cool too. We all have our own opinions so thats fair enough.

If that's your answer, then you don't get it either. So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Fair enough-at least we got some discussion going and livened things up I suppose!

Advertisement